Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reloading Weapons

Page: 2 of 2
 ed_silvergun
08-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Wilhuf:
<STRONG>I like the wall-mounted power station idea. Would add a little bit of strategy to gameplay: control the ammo stations to dominate a map. While we're at it, medical droids (a la Nar Shadda loading terminal) would be cool in place of (or in addition to) bacta packs.</STRONG>

I'd been meaning to bring that up on the forums for some time. I think medical droids would be a very cool idea. Maybe energy weapons could be charged by power droids wandering about the levels. You know... gonks...

*Ducks and covers, awaiting the inevitable verbal barrage* ;)
 KillerBee
08-12-2001, 12:32 PM
1: HL mp had charge up health and charge up armour from wall mounted points.
2: HL dm Sucks.
3: EF had the silly charge up things
in sp. but had ammo in mp.. this is good even tho EFs mp sucked..
 Krayt Tion
08-12-2001, 2:01 PM
Wall-mounted health and armor units didn't add much to strategy of a Half-Life deathmatch. Most of the time you were dead before you ever thought about making it to one... unless you were one those lamers who camped them if there were a bunch in a central location... these units are more trouble then they're worth.

Wall-mounted energy dispensers or gonk energy dispensers... I can't say I'm jumping up and down on this one either. If it was either this or no reloading at all I would take this.

IMO, the actual reloading animations are half the fun and if no interesting animations could be incorporated into hooking up with a gonk or wall unit then I definitely wouldn't want it. Over all I'm not too thrilled with having to fill my power cell or energy weapon up every time it needs energy... I fill up enough gas in real life thank you.

Like the health units I can't see what really interesting strategy JK2 would gain from this. There is a reason why LEC didn't put medic droids in most of the levels... to concentrate more on the fighting, meanwhile supplying batca and health kits that were usually readily available to most in the level and relatively hard to camp.

Let's not kid ourselves here... the only strategy fixed power/health sources add is Can I Kill The People Trying To Get The Health/Energy Dispensers (camping) and Can I Kill The People Trying To Camp The Health/Energy Dispensers (Kill The Campers). Nothing I haven't seen before and none too exciting.

The gonk here has the most potential, because he is some what of a roaming powersource. So slow though... one would have to increase the speed of the gonk or find a different droid. Ask yourself though, would you really want to run around looking for a moving energy droid when you badly needed ammo? Personally, no.
 Syndrix
08-12-2001, 2:47 PM
And so it occured that in one fell swoop Krayt Tion countered, be it overtook, all the other arguments appearing in the text thus far.

(Oh and my point, I agree, wall mounted terminals add nothing to a game, they really were not anything spectacular in EF compaired to the normal method of picking ammo up.)
 Krayt Tion
08-12-2001, 3:08 PM
And the locals rejoiced that fine day?

Naw, most of that is just opinion, not 'fact', although it probably makes sense to more people then just me.
 Syndrix
08-12-2001, 3:22 PM
Well obviously, while I agree with what you said, that was tongue-in-cheek.

When it involves such matters, fact is a rarity, quoted quite often and argued even more. Fact is relative to the person.

P.S But I still agree, Show me the mone... I mean energy cartridges Raven! (This is of course if they have reloading) :)

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Syndrix ]
Page: 2 of 2