Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lag Question

Page: 1 of 1
 NewPlay
06-12-2001, 2:59 AM
What will the lag be like when playing jk2? will it be like Q3 where high latency players will have a short pause inbetween when they click their fire button and when the weapon fires? (which will make saber duels interesting)
or is it possible to have the jk1 style?
 matt--
06-12-2001, 3:06 AM
Who knows what the lag will be like? I doubt they even have worked out the netcode yet!
 WD_ToRMeNt
06-12-2001, 3:11 AM
What are you smoking? They're using he Q3 engine which includes the netcode. It's gonna handle like q3 as for as lag.
 GonkH8er
06-12-2001, 8:26 AM
oh i wouldnt be too sure about that.......
 Darth Simpson
06-12-2001, 9:29 AM
Let's put it this way.

All FPS lags on a 56k modem, no matter what. Get broadband, and the lag problem is solved.
 Argath
06-12-2001, 1:10 PM
The JK style of lag was a consequence of not using a client/server network model. The little pause you experience in games like Q3 is due to the fact that your own computer is not allowed to make decisions regarding the game, it's pretty much just a dumb terminal that sends input to the server and waits for the response telling it where you moved.

Modern games like Q3 use client side prediction to try to make the game look smoother on the client's end, but if your latency is really high, you're still probably going to experience pauses or abrupt jumps in your character's position. Even if Raven completely overhauls the Q3 engine, expect JK2 lag to be similar to Q3's simply because of the inherent differences between the basic JK and JO network models.

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Argath ]
 Wilhuf
06-12-2001, 1:45 PM
What kind of client-side lag compensation does q3 use?

Half-Life actually had some client-side collision detection methods in place (for hitscan weapons). I wonder if JKO will go that far to allow the client to do some hit determinations?
 ed_silvergun
06-12-2001, 3:08 PM
Originally posted by Darth Simpson:
<STRONG>All FPS lags on a 56k modem, no matter what. Get broadband, and the lag problem is solved.</STRONG>

Oh, you make it sound so simple... :)

I believe you can toggle client/server side weapons animations, blood, etc. using command lines in the game. Those with higher pings may want to make these client side so the game at least appears to run smooth, but of course, then it sometimes appears that you are hitting something when you are not.
 CaptainRAVE
06-12-2001, 5:20 PM
There will undoubtably be lag. Quake 3 had a lot of lag. Most games like that do because they are soooo quick.
 matt--
06-13-2001, 12:01 AM
I would simply say get broadband, but "not all of us are lucky enough to live in Jersey." :)
 Archie
06-13-2001, 9:00 AM
GonkH8er: It will be very heavily based on Q3 netcode... after all, why reinvent the wheel? Anyway, I've always found Q3's netcode to be the best around...
 digl
06-14-2001, 12:03 AM
It will be very heavily based on Q3 netcode... after all, why reinvent the wheel? Anyway, I've always found Q3's netcode to be the best around...

How can you be so sure?

I remember a Raven guy said a game they made based in an Id engine(I dont remember which game) used about 40% Id code
Theyll probably use a lot of the Q3 netcode, but we cant be absolutely sure about it, they may change it to work better with saber battles
Besides, I have a feeling that Gonk knows something...
 Sherack Nhar
06-14-2001, 12:46 AM
Digl, it's SoF2 which uses 40% ID code. But it's not a good comparison, because SoF2 does NOT include multiplayer.

Remember that JK2 only has one year of developpement allowed, they probably won't have enough time to code something new.

oh i wouldnt be too sure about that.......
If you say so master... :D
 Lucky
06-14-2001, 7:56 PM
They'll figure somthin out. I bet they'll swipe some next gen code and use that.

A major prob i have is with the locality of client/server games. You don't get to play with the aussies like yah do with JK.

In that respect JK is a very global game, brings a lot of different people together. Thats one aspect of the online community that i really enjoy.

Lucky
 wardz
06-14-2001, 9:06 PM
Gonk if you are hiding something I am going to flood your email account full of pictures of GONKS! HUGE BITMAPS! In all their glory

:)

wardz
 matt--
06-14-2001, 9:14 PM
But how would you know if he is hiding something?
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 9:15 PM
wardz... feel free to :) ill print them out and pin them on my dart board..

but seriously..... everyones always going 'what do u know that we dont' or 'who are your contacts at lucasarts'......

if you have any questions, ask kurgs :) he knows more than i do
 wardz
06-14-2001, 9:19 PM
lol, I can imagine that,

When is the lord of the manor getting back?

wardz
 digl
06-15-2001, 10:44 PM
My mistake
Thanks for claryfing Sherack Nhar, I dont have Sof, and I didnt imagined a game nowadays without MP
But now you said it I remembered I read that the devs would like to do a MP only SOF after SOF2
 Morpheus
06-16-2001, 2:27 AM
For those of us on a 56k when JK came out (i was). The lag was tolerable, because back then lag was in style, and if you were good enough, you would learn to "use the lag" to your advantage.

Now, in the age of broadband internet access and super-fast netcode, 56kers feel the pain. Unfortunatly JK II will have lag, but maybe they will use a netcode like Half Life's and give everyone a fighting chance.

-The All Poweful M
 digl
06-16-2001, 4:33 PM
For those of us on a 56k when JK came out
:( I had a 14.4 and played anyways. But after some time I got a 56k and it was acceptable for JK
I hope Ill get cable the next week
 GEJoeSolo
06-16-2001, 5:03 PM
I never played JK on anything but a cable modem, the only time I ever saw lag was in saber fights. but saber fights in JK were so stupid any way. now that the saber fights will actualy be good they will have to do something about the lag problems they had in JK with saber fights. I dont know what they are going to do, but they will havew to do something beacuse I cant stand one more saber fight ware I hit a guy 50 times and he dosen't die
Page: 1 of 1