Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightstave, will they implement it?

Page: 1 of 1
 UnForGiven
06-04-2001, 12:50 AM
What do you think? Do you think they will add in these babies, or will they stick with the only 1 sabre approach? I personally hope that they do. It would make sabre battles even more exciting. Heretic 2 had a staff didn't it? If these are the same guys who made that, then maybe we WILL see them after all.
 Red_XIIII
06-04-2001, 1:11 AM
double sabers???
well as long as they arn't as cheesy as in some of the mods for Jk and Mots
 Darth Simpson
06-04-2001, 1:18 AM
I'm guessing we will see a double saber or two in the game. Maybe even a new Boc. :D
 runab0ut
06-04-2001, 1:25 AM
just cant wait for polycount (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount)'s) regular modellers to make a maul model! :D

with the engines big possibility of modding... we could see a lot of stuff for JK2 similar to Q3A mods!!! :D
 NeJJa
06-04-2001, 3:08 AM
actually they have already released a vader skin for quake3
 runab0ut
06-04-2001, 6:04 AM
there is a maul model for Q2 and it's on the top of my Q2 models list! :D
 ed_silvergun
06-04-2001, 11:15 AM
I think a lightstaff would be a good addition to the game. The question is, would it operate in exactly the same way as the ordinary saber, or would a slightly different control interface be necessary?
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 4:50 PM
They'll implement it into the multiplayer definatly!! Possibly single player when you get to team up with someone??
 LightStaff
06-04-2001, 6:38 PM
God I hope they do for Multiplayer :)
 Obi Kwan
06-11-2001, 12:04 AM
ed-

I think, because of the popularity of the lightstave from Episode I, that it will be implimented, but I cant see Raven making a totally new control system just for the lightstave. Most likely, there will be the same controls as the regular sabre, though they may perform differnt swings and attacks.

What would be cool is if you could take the stave apart and weild two sabres... :D
 matt--
06-11-2001, 12:07 AM
Go from a double-bladed saber to double sabers? I like it. I like it a lot.
But the controls for 2 sabers simultaneously would be difficult.
 Finalnight
06-11-2001, 1:11 AM
two mouses?????? :cool:
 matt--
06-11-2001, 1:13 AM
Then how would you type?
 GonkH8er
06-11-2001, 10:58 AM
LS thread 7
 Qui-GONE Jinn
06-11-2001, 11:53 AM
so what?
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 4:39 PM
Maybe a new control pad just for JK2??
 Morpheus
06-12-2001, 4:31 AM
If they do it, I hope they do it right, Spork was fun and all of that, BUT I have to admit it was cheezy....

But do you realize that if they put that in the game there are going to be about 20 million darth maul's with double hilted red sabers running around. It'll be just like spork was when it first came out (if any of you can remember that far back :)).

Yay.

-The all powerful M.
 matt--
06-12-2001, 4:45 AM
How about this system? You can only use a double-bladed lightsaber when you attain a certain skill level which improves with time. Therefore, a newbie who choose a lightstaff would cut his leg off. And balance would be brought to the Force.
 GonkH8er
06-12-2001, 9:37 AM
maybe with the lightstaff they could sacrifice having special secondary attack and have left click as lower saber attack and right click as upper saber attack......
 Darth Simpson
06-12-2001, 10:26 AM
But do you realize that if they put that in the game there are going to be about 20 million darth maul's with double hilted red sabers running around.

I hear ya. Although it would be fun running around and killing them...

Maybe a JKII.Net Maul hunting clan? :p
 Boba Jim
06-12-2001, 11:32 AM
If there is a double saber of any kind it should handle differently, but definitely not better. Worse that the regular saber if anything. That way all the hotshots who want to run around with them will have to be better at it and they won't be used contantly. I'd equate them to the sawed off shotgun in Outlaws. It was leathal when used correctly but it was only good close up and needed a lengthy reload after each shot.
Maybe a double saber should be sluggish or something.
 CaptainRAVE
06-12-2001, 6:31 PM
Sluggish?? Was Darth Maul sluggish takin on two jedi?? LOL, i dont think so!
 Boba Jim
06-12-2001, 7:39 PM
Oh geez...we're talking about a game based upon a fantasy. :rolleyes:

You're not involved in that ST vs SW debate going on it the other area are you? :eek:
 wardz
06-12-2001, 7:52 PM
gonk2 is right. Don't expect to have an exact relay between the films and the games. Something has to be lost down the line somewhere for gameplay's sake.

wardz
 GonkH8er
06-13-2001, 9:25 AM
lol gonk2 hehehe

sluggish? well he didnt win did he? :)
 En Taro Taldarin
06-13-2001, 11:08 AM
Gonk Droid, no sabre is sluggish at all, because the blade weighs absolutely nothing, and the hilt doesn't weigh too much anyway. I hope they have the lightstaff in multiplayer. About the controls, why would they have to change them around a lot? You just control it like the regular sabre, except it has different swings, blocks, etc.
 runab0ut
06-14-2001, 5:40 AM
just look at JK... there are small mods for a double saber and a maul model... and it doesnt require any changing to the game itself... if there is... idont know.

anyway... a single model for JK2 wouldnt need a mod with coding and stuff. its just an online avatar and some weapon replacements for you to use rather the in-game ones...

i just wouldnt count on raven to create a maul or a lightstaff for JK2, i'm counting on the editing community to make them... there are a lot of talents in the Q3A modelling community.

*thinks of a way to persuade the Q3 people to mod for JK2*

/me uses mind tricks on polycount submitters! :D
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 6:11 PM
Raven will include it. Aswell as having a choice of colours they'll give us a choice on the type of sabre handle (double, different styles etc). Raven WILL take our points into consideration, they have before for other games!
 The Wanderer
06-14-2001, 7:28 PM
Lordy, let them get the control on the lightsaber working properly before you start worrying about any gimmicky double edged ones!!

I hate Darth Maul. I mean, I really REALLY HATE Darth Maul. That stupid Phantom Flop, ruining Star Wars for everyone who isn't a mindless sw zombie. I'm sorry, do I sound bitter?

I wonder how much Lucas paid all of those monkeys on typewriters?
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 7:59 PM
VERY GOOD POINT, they havnt sorted out the single lightsabre controls yet!!!!! I hope they develop a controller just for JK2. Unlikely but it would be cool!
 Obi Kwan
06-14-2001, 8:07 PM
I think no matter what system for sabre controll they develop, it still wont be able to match up to the realtime control of Obiwan's Sabre (probably the only reason to even rent that one...)
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 8:15 PM
The coolest thing is that the lightsabre is in the environment all the time!! IN JK it was only in the environment when you pressed the fire button which made it unrealistic when the lightsabre just disapeared through a wall!!!!!
 Lucky
06-14-2001, 8:51 PM
Here's whatchu have to take into account. In order to balance the game, its got to have some sort of trade off.

Otherwise there'd be no point in having a regular sab.

So look at a lightstaff as a lightstaff and not a light saber. It'd be a 2nd weapon all together and not just a version of the lightsaber. Would have to do *different* stuff.

On the other hand, it could be a powerup, or a more powerful melee weapon. Say like a conc as opposed to a bryar. That would make for interesting gameplay as well.

Either way, its not just a trumped up lightsaber, its got to be significantly different to warrant making it into the game.

Lucky
 Boba Jim
06-15-2001, 1:15 PM
Lucky's right, and as for Darth Maul, he was neat looking but as an interesting character he pretty much blows. What did he have..2 lines in his entire onscreen existence. Really got to know him didn't we? That was the problem with TPM, you really didn't care about most of the characters, and in some cases you just wanted them to go away.

Still, Darth Maul would be an interesting skin, but I could care less about him having a lasting influence in the story or game. I was more invested in Jerec and he was just made up for JK. At least you got some kind of motivation from him.
 CaptainRAVE
06-15-2001, 5:32 PM
Face expressions...thats what i wanna see....just so i can push my GeForce 3 to the MAX!!!!
 skyler
06-16-2001, 3:55 AM
I, too want the lightstaff or other types of saber mods in the game.(twin sabers,anyone?)
but i want better saber control system even more!
Page: 1 of 1