Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

troopers to wimpy looking? (possible spoiler)

Page: 2 of 2
 ed_silvergun
07-31-2001, 11:13 AM
How would they run away with no legs?

:p
 CaptainRAVE
07-31-2001, 5:07 PM
On speeders??
 acdcfanbill
08-01-2001, 12:40 AM
the black knight didnt look at the loss of arms and legs as defeat! plus, they could make crutches out of their legs and armour...
 access_flux
08-01-2001, 6:15 AM
The hit points thing is a Good idea, but what pisses me off hte most is how stormie armour is supposed to be able to take a couple of hits before breaking, so wtf is with the one hit kills, espicially to the chest :)
 Denise
08-01-2001, 10:20 AM
It would be my guess that the stormtroopers' armor simply reduces the power and intensity of anything that makes it through... so instead of flash-vaporizing half the victim's chest (sorry for the image) you're just punching holes in him. You can obviously still be lethal with well-aimed shots, but the armored trooper is more likely to survive a blaster hit --in the long term. Obviously they're still very probably going to be taken out of action in the short-term, though.

Translation: You shoot an unarmored target, he probably falls down dead-dead. Shoot an armored stormie and while he's still out of it as far as you're concerned, the Empire can put the pieces back together and send him back at you in a few months. Or faster, what with that bacta stuff.

Oh, and that armor would be of substantial protection in hand to hand combat... whether it would be worth the encumberance, though, is debatable. :)

Edit: None of this is commentary on how things should go in the game, of course. I'm just speculating on why they even bother with the armor at all since all film evidence points to one-hit takedowns.. ;)

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Denise ]
 Davo
08-01-2001, 11:43 AM
no sillies...
the reason that storm troopers (and other crappy creatures) in the games are so easy to kill is because in REAL life, a jedi would have ultimate skill and reflexes.
So to account for that, they must scale the enemies down, to the skill that the REAL life character would posses.
In other words, us (the player) are ****ed! and we (with our crappy little mouses and keyboards) can not really immitate how a real jedi would actually act. So to account for the REAL life skill that Kyle Katarn would really have, they must scale the skill of the enemies down.
No?
well if im wrong then tell me
but thats how i see it

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Davo ]
 jk][Death
03-17-2002, 8:30 PM
So the trooper model was released. I started this thread in June. Now that i have the model and have been playing it in ra3. Gave it a close look at in the mirrors. I must say that they still look weak to me. Kinda cartoonish. Walking animations are goofy. But what ever the case maybe im glad to have them. :) Im sure someone will make a menacing trooper model I can wait.

hmm that wasnt my log in name When I started this thread. It was Armand.
 Belgirion
03-17-2002, 8:38 PM
uh, why'd you bring back this topic
 patchx
03-17-2002, 9:12 PM
i think that just because the troopers in the prequels are clones doesnt mean the ones in the original were
Palpy proabably used the clones to get a stranglehold on the galaxy. when his dominance was complete he probably started forcibly recruiting civilians to be his crack troops as it would be much cheaper than growing them yourself.
that would explain any difference in the level of kickassness in the troopers between the 2 trilogies.

also i think the armnor is just to turn aside glancing shots.

-patch
 jedi650
03-17-2002, 9:47 PM
Haha, I'd love to see a fat storm trooper!
 Tasuki
03-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by patchx
i think that just because the troopers in the prequels are clones doesnt mean the ones in the original were
Palpy proabably used the clones to get a stranglehold on the galaxy. when his dominance was complete he probably started forcibly recruiting civilians to be his crack troops as it would be much cheaper than growing them yourself.
that would explain any difference in the level of kickassness in the troopers between the 2 trilogies.

also i think the armnor is just to turn aside glancing shots.

-patch

yea thats right theres an imperial academy. Their not elite or anything. But they should be a little smart since they went through training. IN the movies they seem retarded I don't care if han, leia and luke are the best. Then again the story would suck if they were always getting shot and runnin. I noticed the stormtroopers were never tought to aim.
 Darth Ergotht
03-17-2002, 11:20 PM
I don't know if some of you reed the books but cloning in SW isn'T that easy. After 2 or 3 years the clones start to act strangly and 2 weeks afters they're going into a killing rage. That's right, they're going totally insane. They want to kill everything they see.

So cloning in SW is good for short term wars, it's not really good if you want to keep your soldiers for decades.
 Kurgan
03-17-2002, 11:26 PM
Man this is old.....

One way to explain why the stormtroopers are so "wimpy" in the classic trilogy, is that the troopers who took out the Jawas were the guys with those sharpshooter rifles (the long barreled ones, we see them walking around on Tatooine, and with the Dewbacks) are very good shots. Remember Obi-Wan's words about the blast points being too accurate for Sandpeople, etc.

So we should see some Stormtrooper SNIPERS. ; )

The troops on the Death Star weren't elite, they were more likely guards (armed with machine guns, which were far less accurate) with nothing to do all day but patrol a supposedly IMPRENETRABLE space station (who would attack it? it would be, as the Imperial official said "A useless gesture"). In addition, you'll recall how Leia says "they let us escape" which was true. Vader wanted the rebels to get away so that they would lead the Empire to their rebel base. If that meant sacrificing a few grunts in the process, so be it.

And check out the damage a gun like Han Solo's blaster does to walls... I'm sure it's capable of punching through that armor. The armor should stop weak blasts and glancing shots, maybe protect the guy like a kevlar vest or flak jacket would, but not necessarily keep him in the fight.

The elite troops we saw were the ones on the Endor moon, and they had many disadvantages, mainly incompetent commanding officers and superiors, they didn't expect the ewoks to have such large numbers or to be so inventive, etc. notice they still killed many ewoks in the battle. The tide turned when Chewbacca was able to commandeer a walker, taking their artillary by suprise.

Anyhow, if I were in a battle, I'd rather have ST armor than just regular civilian clothes, although I might go for something that wasn't such a bright white color that's so easy to see, unless I were in snow or something. ; )

Btw, I love the [SPOILER] tag... some people have no clue how to post good "spoiler" warnings.
 Nute Gunray
03-18-2002, 1:14 AM
How could some untrained locals like the Ewoks defeat heavily armed elite military personnel like the Stormtroopers? Nothing like that ever happens for real. It's as insane as thinking some tribal warlords in a poor African nation could hand US SpecOps guys their asses or an entire jungle nation could hold out for close to a decade of airstrikes delivered by the most powerful nation on Earth! :rolleyes:
 SaberPro
03-18-2002, 1:21 AM
I think it's because the Ewok has more in number, and Stormtrooper has less....it's like saying, 100,000,000 Africans with spears vs. 100 SpecOps...

Ewoks still used some ancient ways to take down those AT-STs...wood rolling...wood smashing... :ewok:
 Redwing
03-18-2002, 1:21 AM
A few points:

A) Stormie armor majorly dampens the affects of blaster bolts. That's why you don't usually see holes punched in stormie armor from blaster bolts (ref: RotJ when Han shoots a stormie at nearly point blank range --- his armor is unharmed! (However, the heat of the bolt fries the unlucky stormie right through his armor.)
While when he shoots a wall, it takes a nice chunk out of it.

B) There were thousands, even millions of stormies abroad the Death Star. Like Kurgan said, a supposedly impenetrable battle station. They were probably some of the worst of the worst! Later, when they were being pursued after Vader found out, they were under orders to NOT to kill them. The Falcon had to escape for the tracking device to be of any use!

C) The "elite" troops on Endor were overconfident, arrogant, and totally unprepared for a bunch of furry little animals (who blended right into the surroundings, and had home turf advantage) to come lobbing huge rocks at them. (Note---most of the troopers probably died of broken necks then from anything else.) Besides, they stood out like bananas in a coal cellar with their nice, shiny white armor. ;)

D) After the horrendous embarrasment of being beaten by teddy bears in a major battle (:D), the Empire decided to nix the white armor in such cases and go for camoflauge. (ref: Isard's Revenge I think...) We see this in JK2 in the swamptroopers. Remember, the armor was for psychological intimidation, not for stealth in any sense.
 Redwing
03-18-2002, 1:24 AM
Originally posted by Nute Gunray
How could some untrained locals like the Ewoks defeat heavily armed elite military personnel like the Stormtroopers? Nothing like that ever happens for real. It's as insane as thinking some tribal warlords in a poor African nation could hand US SpecOps guys their asses or an entire jungle nation could hold out for close to a decade of airstrikes delivered by the most powerful nation on Earth! :rolleyes:

Refer to what SaberPro said. :)

Besides, US SpecOps don't put big white signs above their heads saying HERE I AM, THROW BOULDERS AND LOGS AT ME!!!! which is the equivalent of what those genius stormies did. :rolleyes:

Notwithstanding the walkers, most of which Chewie blew up with the one he commandeered. Too bad they all looked alike! :D
 Qel
03-18-2002, 2:02 AM
How is it that stormtroopers are clones of Jango Fett?

I don't get it...I always thought that the emporer didn't need to create clones once the empire was born....he had the unlimited
man power of thousands of Imperial controlled worlds for stormtrooper recruits...

The only story in the EU that I've read was that of Grand Admiral
Thrawn creating clone stormtroopers to man all the Dreadnaughts
he had found....

Qel
 Redwing
03-18-2002, 3:07 AM
You're probably right. The whole stormie clone is TOTALLY speculation. Nothing more, nothing less.
 patchx
03-18-2002, 4:49 AM
well actually
it was shown in the latest AOTC trailer that palpatine is forming a "grand" army of the republic out of clones what do you think happens to that army when palpatine declares the empire?

-patch

p.s i dunno if this would be considered spoilers 'cause its off a publicly broadcast trailer.
 Kurgan
03-18-2002, 4:50 AM
Well let's think about this.. true the Stormtroopers have superior weapons technology (at first, notice how at the end of the battle we see Ewoks with stolen Imperial weapons in hand... we'd assume they learned quickly how to use them, maybe even were instructed in basic use by the Rebels beforehand) and armor, but the Ewoks have "home court advantage."

The ewoks were fighting on their home soil, an advantage in morale. They lived all their lives in those forests, so they were familiar with the territory, probably more familiar than those troosp who may have only been there for days, weeks, or months at the most at their stations. The ewoks would know where to set traps (and we see this) and the best hiding places, ambush points, terrain, etc.

The ewoks that we saw fighting were obviously the tribal warriors. Notice we didn't see mama ewok and her baby ewoks in the battle. They sent THEIR elite troops.

Then there was the numerical advantage, I don't know the exact numbers, but it was obvious that the ewoks far outnumbered the rebels and Imperials combined. Yet, as you would expect against a technologically superior foe, they sustained HEAVY casualties as we saw onscreen.

The ewoks also had a little help from the small strike team of Rebels. Essentially one could say the ewoks "kept the Empire busy" giving the Rebels time to secure their objectives. And yes, the Empire did make many tactical blunders and exhibited extreme incompetence... in the end, the good guys just got darn lucky (the Force was on their side?).
 Nute Gunray
03-18-2002, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by Redwing
Besides, US SpecOps don't put big white signs above their heads saying HERE I AM, THROW BOULDERS AND LOGS AT ME!!!! which is the equivalent of what those genius stormies did. :rolleyes:

No, they came in in helos in broad daylight and got met with some RPGs.
 Tasuki
03-18-2002, 5:38 PM
no simply put star wars makes no sense no matter how hard you rationalize it. Stormtroopers can't aim for crap because if they could there would be no story. Good enough an explanation. DOesn't mean it not good though.
 Nute Gunray
03-18-2002, 6:48 PM
Only twice did stormtroopers get to do what stormtroopers are supposed to do: the boarding of the Tantive IV and the invasion of Hoth. And they certainly did this just fine. All the other times, except for the Endor incident, they were supposed to just herd the good guys around.
 sanpilou
03-18-2002, 8:23 PM
were not saying they look bad, its just that they are so stuipd in every game and movie, and thier armor is made out of paper..

not true!!!!!!!! their armor is supposed to be able to stop primitive weapons like rocks and others, and it not all, on theyr belt they have a big thermal detonator that is too powerful, and it's still not all, theyr helmet is equipped with sssssoooo many sensors that i don't have enough time to tell them all. so don't say that a stormie armor is useless.
 Belgirion
03-18-2002, 8:24 PM
were not saying they look bad, its just that they are so stuipd in every game and movie, and thier armor is made out of paper

hah! I beg to differ!
Page: 2 of 2