Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

troopers to wimpy looking? (possible spoiler)

Page: 1 of 2
 SithTexasDeath
06-03-2001, 11:24 PM
First off I would to say the Screenies are nice but I have 1 problem with It is that the Storm troopers look way to big headed and wimpy.Also some of the textures are non starwars related . Although its still early to tell. I Would like to see storm troopers be somewhat hard too kill.Remember FEARED By the galaxy,stormtroopers Are !!ELITE!!! shock troops deployed in support of both ground forces and Imperial fleet.Stormtroopers are unquestionably loyal to the Empire,and their unshakeable military descipline has led to the speculation

that they might be the result of accelerated Imperial cloning experiments,although this has never Been CONFIRMED Stormtroopers are essentially Jango fett the greatest warrior in starwars History heheh.

well anyways I cant wait and thought I would post my opinion about the troopers. By the way The shot of Kyle in the front is awesome! what are your thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Kwup
06-03-2001, 11:27 PM
So your saying slicing through a stormtrooper shouldn't kill him? I'm mad that you can't one-shot bosses, much less basic monkees. ;)

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
 SithTexasDeath
06-03-2001, 11:31 PM
No Im saying that they should look somewhat intimidating and have skillfull AI.Slicing thru a stormtrooper rips! Just not slicing thru a Fat 1...... :D

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Armand ]
 Thrawn
06-03-2001, 11:45 PM
Stormies have never been tough. They weren't in the movies, so why should they be in the game? They're the flak of the Imperials :D
 GCrusher23
06-04-2001, 1:18 AM
I registered for this forum just so I could reply to your statement Thrawn. You are totally off. The stormtroopers are some of the strongest, most feared forces in the galaxy. They bring fear to everyone. The ONLY reason why they looked so weak in the movies was because of one good reason. Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Lando, all of them are heroes. They are the people that we look at and go "wow, they're good!" They only killed stormtrooper after stormtrooper was because they were the best in the galaxy. Why focus 3 movies on them if they suck? Also, the stormtroopers were cloned off of the mind of Jango Fett, who is supposedly even more powerful than his son, Boba Fett.

So, stormtroopers actually are very good shooters, it's just that the movies focused on the best in the galaxy.
 SithTexasDeath
06-04-2001, 1:55 AM
My point exactly :p
 Boba Rhett
06-04-2001, 2:19 AM
Oh yeah... and those walking teddy bears, known as ewoks are pretty fierce. That's why they kicked the troopers arses. :rolleyes: The troopers are only feared because there is so many of them and they have a never ending supply of firepower. Everyone here is also forgeting to put spoiler alerts in front of ep II news.
**Spoiler***

They aren't true blue clones of Jango. They are very "low quality" clones. Boba Fett was a "high quality" clone.
 Tre Lightshadow
06-04-2001, 3:07 AM
Where did you get the info the Stormtroopers were cloned of off Jango Fett? I've never heard that. Besides, with a name like Jango, how can you REALLY be that good of a fighter? (Just wanted to see how many people that would piss off!) :D
 Angry Drunken Ewok
06-04-2001, 4:01 AM
Jango Fett is gonna be awesome
*******SPOILER*******
Not only is the reason for Boba Fett being around but he goes toe to toe in battles against Obi Wan and the rest of the Jedi Council
 Dr_Strangelove
06-04-2001, 4:20 AM
I have to agree with Thrawn. Stormtroopers are just normal grunt troopers and they always get canned. They may be really good, who knows, but the fact is that in JKII, and for a lot of SW games, you need a normal stupid enemy to put all around, and stick in every corner. If stormtroopers where half as good as there made out to be we would get the crap kicked out of us in the game :) . So unless they find an enemy more common then the Stormtrooper, there gonna be the morons who can't shoot worth beans and get pushed off buildings. :cool:
 SithTexasDeath
06-04-2001, 5:51 AM
Everyone is right one way or the other if they are gonna be supid then there should be an option of difficult settings in jk2 like in doom or q2 when you pick the hardest setting ememies keep comming. One disappointment I have with lucas Arts gsmes is that there is never enuff enemies to kill So I want hundreds of stupid troopers to slice in half. By the way: SPOILEr In Ep3 everyone will change thier minds about how they see starwars the trilogy is over now see what the dakside is really capable of. Your not gonna seeee some ghey ewoks killing troopers :D Dam them! null

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Armand ]
 GonkH8er
06-04-2001, 7:29 AM
mmmmm nightmare mode..... didnt we love it :)
 GCrusher23
06-04-2001, 10:21 AM
Well, that's why ROTJ had some bad qualities. I can't explain why stupid ewoks (I dispise all ewoks. May they rot in hell) were able to kill stormtroopers. Maybe it was a symbol to show that the empire was nearing its end.

I also agree that they are lower end clones of Jango, but never the less. They are still very good. If a whole cantina full of a guys like doctor evazon stands still as stormtroopers walk by you know they have to be something special.
 Red_XIIII
06-04-2001, 12:23 PM
i wish they'd make thier armor count for somthing... Kinda stuipd dispatching a storm trooper with 2 shots to the foot, heh
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-04-2001, 4:19 PM
Yeah... that is pretty bad Red.

Hey, how many years does everyone think jk2 is set after Return of the Jedi?
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 4:32 PM
Why do people keep saing the stormtroopers look bad? Ok, they do look short and fat, but considering this level was finished in a month for E3 it aint soooo bad! :) Look how long they've got to improve the game and take note of our comments. And anyway, at least its RAVEN. I could totally trust them with any game! :D
 Red_XIIII
06-04-2001, 6:40 PM
were not saying they look bad, its just that they are so stuipd in every game and movie, and thier armor is made out of paper..
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 6:46 PM
Oh yeah...good point!! But then you cant have a stormtrooper killing a jedi, LOL. But then, has anyone ever seen a clever stormtrooper????????????
 StormHammer
06-05-2001, 4:11 PM
Ki-Adi-Mundi...in the chat log Haden Blackman said JKII was set around 14 years post-ANH...which would be about 10 years after ROTJ.

As for all Stormtroopers just being clones and cannon fodder, you are forgetting one small point. Kyle Katarn was once a Stormtrooper (according to the books). Other people have also been Stormtroopers in the EU. Therefore, they are not all simply clones.

Personally, I think the Stormtroopers should be tougher than we have seen in the previous games. They are supposed to be elite troops, and I would at least expect them to find cover when under fire.

Also, as someone else said elsewhere, they should adjust the intelligence and toughness of every enemy based on the difficulty setting. On HARD, the enemies should be tougher, and really exhibit some intelligence, like keeping you pinned down with concentrated fire while flanking you etc.

If we can't have lots of enemies on screen (as in DF, for example), then the enemies we do face should be tougher.
 CaptainRAVE
06-05-2001, 5:04 PM
Yeah, but you cant have a stormtrooper being as tough as a boss can you.....look how easily they are killed in the films.....even easier than in JK!
 StormHammer
06-05-2001, 6:08 PM
I'm not saying they should be as tough as bosses...(if you are referring to the Dark Jedi, there's hardly a comparison).

However, I won't be impressed if a bunch of Stormies just line up for me to shoot down. I can't see this happening, with the new AI they should be implementing.

Maybe they could be as easy to kill...but maybe they shouldn't give you as many chances to kill them. A running target is harder to hit than one that's standing still. A Stormie behind cover who is firing at you will be harder to hit. And maybe some of them could hit the deck while returning fire, or do a sideways roll...anything to make them more challenging than simply line up in your sights and fire.

If the SP game is not going to be as long as JK, it has to be more challenging, IMO.
 Boba Jim
06-05-2001, 7:06 PM
Sure the Stormtroopers are billed as elite shock troops that are feared throughout the galaxy, but that's just Imperial hype meant to intimidate their victims. I don't recall Hussein's elite Republican Guard Troops putting up so much of a resistance to the UN troops. Stormtroopers are intimidating, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they are great individual warriors. Hell, how ya gonna fight in that outfit anyway? They're blaster bait. The biggest reason to be afraid of stormtroopers is that there are always so darn many to slash through before you're done. If they work in teams, look out.
What I'd be afraid of are the Emperor's Royal guards. Those guys are supposed to be real baddies and you know they got somethin hidden under them robes. Oh, and don't count us vicious Gonks out. You ain't seen hurt till you made one of us mad. Them corners are sharp mister.
 CaptainRAVE
06-06-2001, 4:33 PM
Yeah the royal guards are the elite....and if they guard the emperor they must be good.
 BeerMan
06-06-2001, 9:31 PM
heh... those storm troopers are shiny
 SithTexasDeath
06-07-2001, 7:36 PM
Yes Droids are wimpy watch the first behind the scenes and and thats exactly what they say. If your gonna spam pics spam Stormtrooper pics.
 Rancor
06-08-2001, 12:59 AM
What ever are you talking about? I'm sure they'll be tweaked out before the game ships, but they look a hundred fold better than how they looked in the old JK. But even then, the gameplay was fun so I really didn't care. In the end, if the game is fun, I'd take the stormtroopers how they look right now...well, assuming those 3000 polys each don't slow my computer down to a crawl.
 CaptainRAVE
06-08-2001, 4:54 PM
Dont start doing that in this forum! Keep to your OWN.......oh moderators...
 wardz
06-08-2001, 8:16 PM
Why haven't you been banned? You're intentions here are clear... You have nothing worth while to contribute - we are fortunate to have a site specifically for JK2 and YOU and your little friends are ruining it.

PISS OFF! :mad:

wardz
 SithTexasDeath
06-08-2001, 8:49 PM
Darn it once again all im saying is that they shoud look menacing like this dont you agree?
nullStormtrooperPic (http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/imageFolio/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Characters/Stormtroopers&img=40)

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Armand ]
 matt--
06-09-2001, 1:56 AM
How is this thread a spoiler? And why the hell is he being such a retard for?
 matt--
06-09-2001, 1:59 AM
Where is this rs.net?
It is pretty pointless to spam fro a website that does not exist.
 GonkH8er
06-09-2001, 4:20 AM
WVBDA.....

i suggest you stop now......
 Vagabond
06-09-2001, 4:27 AM
Wade Vox's Battle Droid Army, you need to stop posting all of those pointless images in your messages. Your messages are needlessly slowing the page load-times for people with slower connection speeds.

The JKII staff is rapidly finalizing plans for assigning forums admins and moderators to address problems such as these.
 Boba Rhett
06-09-2001, 8:21 AM
Holy hell. They just start doing this over here and they already have people pouncing on them. I really could have used you guys at the jk forums a few days ago.
 CaptainRAVE
06-09-2001, 8:34 AM
I think when it says possible spoiler it means it could spoil the game....just a suggestion! And yeah, those pics slow the load time like hell :mad:
 GonkH8er
06-09-2001, 8:36 AM
i tried.... i made a special thread for it....

i havent been adminnin there recently. i spose i should keep them in order a bit more, rather than hanging out here :)
 wardz
06-09-2001, 5:11 PM
The prodical son has returned!!! VAGABOND!

Nice to have you back, how was your break?

wardz
 Vagabond
06-10-2001, 4:27 PM
I had a great time in Florida...the vacation was a blast. Visited Seaworld, Downtown Disney, Daytonna Beach, saw Ray Ramano do stand-up, and went to the Kennedy Space Center. A good time was had by all ;)
 SithTexasDeath
06-11-2001, 2:46 AM
And This has what to do with the stomtrooper jk2 screenshots?
 GonkH8er
06-11-2001, 3:06 AM
not much at all really...
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 4:49 PM
These threads always end up off the topic!!!! :mad:
 SithTexasDeath
06-29-2001, 7:47 AM
grrrrrrrrr come on ppl!
 Mercenary_Turned_Jedi
06-29-2001, 11:04 AM
Another problem with the Stormies ( from now on known as The Bad Boys ). They ( Raven Software ) seem to have forgotten that the StormTrooper rifle is actually pistol-sized, not a shotgun-size bazooka !

:D
 Kurgan
06-29-2001, 2:49 PM
Not exactly, the weapon it is based on is hardly "pistol sized" unless it's a pistol for ten foot tall people... (watch the scenes in ANH where Luke, Leia and Han are trading shots with the Stormtroopers, and see what I mean).

There are other weapons that you may see Troopers use that are smaller, but the blaster rifle we all know and love isn't that big, true, but it's bigger than a one-handed pistol (or revolver, etc). It's certainly bigger than the fat Bryar (which is just a sawed off rifle with a new handle anyway)

Personally, I think that having all (or most) weapons be one-shot kill is problematic (unless of course you're going for a "realistic" type of strategic shooter like say Rainbow6). For gameplay balance/challange/fun issues, they made Stormies in JK take 3 shots to kill (1 if you have a saber or super powerful weapon hit them). In SW terms, you could just say that they finally upgraded that wimpy ST armor. ; )

Kurgan

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]
 GEJoeSolo
06-29-2001, 4:27 PM
I see alot of people saying how easy it was to kill a storm trooper in the movies, witch was true. but not only is this not a movie, but it takes place sometime after ROTJ, meaning that the empire will have had time to change/upgrade somethings such has armore, weapons, and how they train thier army. now they might have some sort of jedi hunting/killing force sepret from the storm troopers.
 SithTexasDeath
07-28-2001, 9:37 AM
Stormtroopers aren't the best trained or bravest of military stock, especially when they're going up against a Jedi, so sometimes they may start running from you in hopes of rallying a few buddies to help them taken from the new preview.
I totally disagree with this. I think it will be a down point in the game. Also This guy doesnt know anything about starwars it wasnt obi wan and q-gon who put the the lightsaber in the balster doors in ep1. It was only q-gon jinn. They have someone who knows starwars rather than someone who gets paid by the hour to write a preview about the best saga known to man! :mad:
 wardz
07-28-2001, 9:46 AM
Armand, he said Obiwan to help you remember the scene.

wardz
 Alan Byrne
07-28-2001, 7:34 PM
This message is in relation to the clone conversation on page one.

I agree Stormtroopers should be tougher, as I would love to feel the adrenaline that the heroes from the trilogy felt while hiding behind every possible obstacle to avoid the laser fire.

So, to implement this intelligently, I suggest that Raven/Lucasarts asy that the Empire cloned one of the Empiror's royal guards, and put the clones in Stormtrooper armour. If the ERG is as tough as they are cracked up to be, it would explain the extra toughness of the troops.
 C.H.A.S.
07-30-2001, 4:48 AM
I hope the Stormies have a total of 5 "hit-points". Shots in the limbs taking 1 HP, front torso 2 HP, back torso 3 HP, and the head an auto kill ( these would be the equivlents for the normal blaster bolt).

I don't see what so bad about the appearence of the Stormies in the JK2 screens.

P.S. The pics don't slow down my thread loading. The threads still load in less than two seconds but it still not nice. ;)
 acdcfanbill
07-31-2001, 12:03 AM
if the head is auto-kill, why would they wear the armour? of course, saber should be a kill anywhere on torso, head, but with arms/legs gone, i wouldnt fight too well, so, they would prob run off... right?
Page: 1 of 2