Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Concussion Rifle

Page: 1 of 1
 matt--
06-02-2001, 6:22 PM
The concussion rifle was to powerful. It should either be toned done, removed, or balance out. It's about as fair as the redeemer in UT.
 StormHammer
06-02-2001, 6:29 PM
The concussion rifle is not currently listed as being in the game.

However, it did have it's uses in both Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. I can't comment on MP, because I never really played MP. But in SP, I used the conc to clear rooms of Stormtroopers, or take out gun emplacements. And to get my own back on the Trandoshans, of course. ;)

I do agree that whatever weapons feature in JKO should be well-balanced, both for SP and for MP.
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 6:31 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
no way! its the best gun! yes, i would like to see a gun to balance it with, but take it out of the game?? replace it?? never...!!
true, it's hard to beat anyone that is skilled with a conc with any other gun (albeit mines), but it was the most fun to use and took the most skill not to kill yourself with the huge blast radius and aim the secondary fire with jk's lag. and plus its damn sexy. (conc in action) http://www.roberts-landscaping.com/conc.gif)
 matt--
06-02-2001, 6:33 PM
Skill not to kill yourself...Interesting approach.
 Dr_Strangelove
06-02-2001, 7:19 PM
The concussion rifle is no good, I hate it when I'm trying to have a decent duel with someone then some tuff guy comes around with a concussion rifle and nukes me! But I would always nail him when he wasnt looking with the rocket lancher which is more cool than the concussion rifle anyway ;)

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Dr_Strangelove ]
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 7:32 PM
im just saying that once youve learned how to use it really well, there is nothing more fun than it. A good conc battle is better than a sabers match any day.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-02-2001, 8:01 PM
Nejja, how would you know what a good saber battle is? You would have to be a good saberist and a good conc fighter to know this. Most of the people I fought from HDK sucked at sabers. Most of them. Not all, just a good majority.
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 8:24 PM
i am the ex-leader of the NK saber division
blah!
hdk has some good saberists now
narbes wodz hexen life and corlin
 WD_ToRMeNt
06-02-2001, 9:36 PM
Lifeform? OMG I knew him way back when. Tell him "hi" from Savage, or just Sav hehe.
 ed_silvergun
06-02-2001, 9:43 PM
I would like to see a return to the concussion rifle as it was when it was first seen in Dark Forces. In my opinion it was a much sexier weapon in DF than in JK.

Also, I wasn't too keen on the secondary fire on the concussion rifle in JK. It always felt like a lame version of Quake II's railgun, possibly the best weapon in any FPS ever (with the exception of JK's saber!). Perhaps primary fire could be toned down a bit, and the secondary fire notched up?

Just a thought. :D
 KillerBee
06-02-2001, 9:47 PM
A good sabre duel in jk doesnt exist :p

people sabring in a guns match deserve to die :) but that can be annoying yes. but its hard to stop really..
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 9:53 PM
i could be wrong but was quake 2 released before or after jedi knight? either way it had to be close and probably after they had developed the weapons for sure, so i dont think the conc 2ndary fire is a railgun ripoff.. :eek:
 ed_silvergun
06-02-2001, 10:05 PM
Quake II was released a couple of months after JK. I wasn't dismissing the concussion rifle as a rip-off, I was merely pointing to the railgun as a weapon which is truly satisfying to fire, whilst at the same time requiring skill and patience to master.
 digl
06-02-2001, 11:33 PM
I agree with ed

The conc should return like in DF,and just as powerful as in JK, or maybe a bit weaker, just a bit

Maybe a railgun like weapon could be included
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-03-2001, 1:38 PM
I like the rail-gun from JK, it just fires a little slow and the rails travel kind of slow.

I think the conc should be placed in JO just as powerful if not a tinsy bit weaker. That way a n3wb won't get his brains blown out so quickly.
 KillerBee
06-03-2001, 3:16 PM
I wouldnt mind the conky to be like jks cept with the primary pushing more, and hurting a lot less. so you can use it to blow people about. I would rather see the rail launcher as the main RL weapon.
assuming that jos speeds are going to be much lower then jks.

the q2/3 rail tho isnt imo as hard (or satisfying) to master as the jk conky in FF.. when your trying to hit someone who doesn't want to be hit in oasis, using 4 star speed and jump, you have timing down to a fine art, without seeing its even harder.
Yes without speed or jump the conky is ott but with them its prolly the hardest test of gunnery skills in any game (well it could be argued that bryar matches are harder.. but that would just be 90% luck.)
 thrEEpaGe
06-03-2001, 4:44 PM
BOOOOOOOO! The Concussion Rifle is the absolute best gun! Because of JK's lag in multi player games, it is very much so useless, although very handy in many situations. The CR does NOT need to be toned down. For all of you who say that you do not like it, I can say that you have never been in an intense guns game, no force or otherwise. If you know how to use it properly, as Nejja said, it provides hours of playing, and takes very long to master, and if you master the CR, in single player you cannot be hit. So, I say, as a die-hard 'Ji -O-er', KEEP THE CR!!!!!! DON'T LEAVR IT OUT!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
 Binary
06-03-2001, 5:38 PM
I agree with Silvergun. The concussion rifle is sweet, but the secondary fire was a joke. It didn't seem to move any faster than the primary fire (which is already really fast) and you had to be deadly accurate or it wouldn't do anything.

I'd like to see the weapon again, but it does need some changes. The explosion animations with it in JK were pretty sad as well. It was like 4 frames of two-dimensional graphics.
 CaptainRAVE
06-03-2001, 5:44 PM
I agree to....the secondary fire sucked! :rolleyes:
 Wilhuf
06-03-2001, 7:10 PM
I used the secondary fire on occasion in CQB (close quarters battle). If the graphics had a bit more oomph, concussion secondary would have been more popular. It did do some reasonable damage to your opponent.

BTW anyone know what a stun baton is and what it does? JKO will have them.
 ed_silvergun
06-03-2001, 7:38 PM
I've been wondering about what this 'stun baton' is too, Wilhuf. Bit of a mystery, that one.

As to the secondary fire on the concussion rifle, yes, it was pretty powerful. I wasn't getting at the level of damage it did (which, in my opinion was quite adequate, certainly for a secondary fire) but rather at the animation and sound-effects which made it feel rather lame. As such, the secondary fire was somewhat less satisfying to use than it might have been.

I was referring to Quake II's railgun as a fine example of how a weapon fairly similar in nature to the concussion rifle's secondary fire could be made to feel very satisfying with good use of animation and sound-effects.
 KillerBee
06-03-2001, 8:11 PM
The secondary fire was useless due to lag.
(tho Ive got a few kills with it, its mostly luck)
The conkys problem was from the fact jk was half ff half nf. if they lower the player speeds, so a jedi isnt so fast, then the conky could be balanced for nf and ff.. but with force speed the conkys speed and splash was perfect for a skilled weapon.
the rail was great to.. I love the idea of running faster then the shot. but it really needs an insta kill for the problems of actually getting it to connect with force speed.. (in nf close combat.. ie off oasis) the rail and conk werent too far off balanced. the rails faster ROF and higher damage.. on oasis really it was all thats needed. it moves fast, has a ton of splash. some people say its needed for jks lag.. but I can use it fine ff to kill laggers with speed. its OTT in nf..
 Jedi_Killer
06-03-2001, 8:39 PM
Stun Baton--it's an electrified stick that stuns people when you hit them with it. It's in a lot of games. Deus Ex had a really fun one to use.
 Red_XIIII
06-03-2001, 11:36 PM
the con gun is really powerful in levels where you can compine Force Jump with it (have enoguh room) simply jumping up and aiming down at your Target below you can get you your kill, I've been in matches that it was nothing but a Jumping Fest. I also Rarely ever Play JK i am A mots Freak heh
Lag is not nearly as bad in mots as it is In JK, the whole reason really mots was made was for a Better MP experience then JK could provide. Mara Jade was just and added bonus.
Most of the weapons cogs in Mots had alot better sync code in them then their Jk counterparts, open up mots lightsaber cog and you can see this.
 Kwup
06-03-2001, 11:42 PM
hey red, have you ever tried looking at one of your MotS levels while being high? It's quite a sight ;)
 Red_XIIII
06-04-2001, 12:17 PM
yeah i have, most of em have HOM problems up thier cause your lookin though to many adjoins heh...
Page: 1 of 1