Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

0mg, 2 new JKII sshots! Very nice looking

Page: 1 of 1
 cliffe
06-02-2001, 3:58 AM
 UnForGiven
06-02-2001, 4:01 AM
I still cant seem to figure out what the hell he's doing in the bottom shot though. He looks to maybe be crouching or something. I can't really tell though, it's a bit too dark
 cliffe
06-02-2001, 4:03 AM
I sure hope they don't forget the gonk droids. hehe
 Bartolo_JCS
06-02-2001, 4:08 AM
he's killing a probe droid man.... he might be crouching but i think he's looking up
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 4:09 AM
all i want is a screeny showing the big C-Rifle in it's rightful owners hands.

umm the fonts on the HUD really suck..

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: [HDK]-NeJJa- ]
 runab0ut
06-02-2001, 4:43 AM
nice screenshots.... i thinks he's blocking the 2nd droids shots. thats why he looks upwards... the 1st droid already took the deflected shot.

hmmm... there is something funny with the stormtroopers... they're like too bulgey and too round for their armor... hmpf! :confused:
 Bartolo_JCS
06-02-2001, 4:55 AM
Who took my five stars down? don't be ghei
 Boba Rhett
06-02-2001, 5:01 AM
I new the whole star system was going to cause petty bickering. I think everyone should just disable their star ratings.

As for the screen shots, I'm glad to see the probe droids are back and is there any indication on wether or not jk2 will be getting a killer hud like the one in jk?

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Boba Rhett ]
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-02-2001, 6:38 AM
They probably haven't even designed the hud yet. Screens are coming along nicely. Stormies look a bit strange, especially up close. Oh well.
 Archie
06-02-2001, 9:22 AM
They remind me of the stormtroopers in the sega arcade games. They just have that rendered "apperance"... Well, that's to be expected, but it can only get better.
 Locoman
06-02-2001, 9:24 AM
The stormtroopers do look kinda funny. And I really don't like that moving saber effect, but otherwise the screenshots look very sweet.
 Jedi Howell
06-02-2001, 9:30 AM
I don't think anyone likes the moving saber effect...

I know what's wrong with the Stormies!!!!

They got FAT!!! :p

jh
 GonkH8er
06-02-2001, 10:35 AM
yes it does look like they ate a bit too much imperial gruel... they look like shiny marshmellows.

oh, and i also hope they include the gonk droids. i may despise them, but theyre bloody fun to kill :)

and now that i can force push.... i can find multiple ways to kill them :)

gonk baseball sounds like a pretty good mod. someone stands on the pitchers mound, and force pushes a gonk at the batter, who swipes at it in mid air with his saber.

muahahahaha...... :mad: :mad:
 Aragorn
06-02-2001, 10:36 AM
Yeah the saber trails are not very good. I hope they'll fix that, they look very console-like...
 ReAcToR
06-02-2001, 11:05 AM
I seriously doubt that is going to be the HUD. I do hope the HUD is alot better than that cartoonish one that LEC is implementing into Obi Wan.
 GonkH8er
06-02-2001, 11:28 AM
whoa aragorn.... easy on the posting.... almost collided with mine :)
 wardz
06-02-2001, 11:30 AM
Just be thankful that we have some screenshots in the first place. None of us would have expected any this early in development when the game was announced.

A month ago, we were contemplating life without a JK sequel and already we are bashing a game that is only 3 months is development, just chill a bit,

*waves hand* "you will enjoy this game, I promise"

Good work LEC\Raven, keep it going..

wardz
 Obi Kwan
06-02-2001, 12:02 PM
I didnt check back at the first five screen shots, but I think the storm troopers looked more realistic (non-marshmallow)in them.
 UnForGiven
06-02-2001, 12:08 PM
Heh, I can see the pic properly now. I had massive amounts of glare earlier on, I couldn't even see Kyles body. Now I can see it!

The graphics IMO are pretty good. They will improve over time of course, and I'm sure they will turn out great.

The lightsabre trail doesn't look bad whilst moving, so don't worry about that. Actually, it looks pretty good I think.

Early days, very early days. A long time left for improvements.
 magnus
06-02-2001, 12:27 PM
I totally agree with wardz. I'm sure we will enjoy the game a lot, and the graphics and the models are in the early stage... and it looks great!

at the moment, I think the reason why the troopers look a bit weird is that they almost haven't got any shoulders compared to the real thing:

http://hem.passagen.se/mryoda/trooper.jpg)

In a year it'll look astounding :)
 GonkH8er
06-02-2001, 12:41 PM
unforgiven.... metallica fan? :)
 bsbuckeye21
06-02-2001, 2:15 PM
Those trooper models need some work.

BolesRoor, thanks for posting the pic, that helps. I also agree with everyone that they look a little pudgy. The troopers in the foreground show that Kyle's taller than them. (?) It'd be a lot more intimidating if they were at least eye-level. Of course, Kyle could be jumping, but I doubt it. The Stormtroopers in the background look like they're porportioned correctly, though.

I think what else is going in is that their faces look like they're smashed in like a pit bull. Having the crease down the middle come out more would help.

On a positive note: That rifle is perfect! And in the other screen: the way the probe droid blows apart is awesome!
 Sifl
06-02-2001, 2:46 PM
Originally posted by BolesRoor:
<STRONG>at the moment, I think the reason why the troopers look a bit weird is that they almost haven't got any shoulders compared to the real thing:</STRONG>

I dunno, I disagree, look at this shot from ESB...

http://www.starwars.com/episode-v/classic/2001/01/img/2058_esbd5_16_bg.jpg)

The shoulders look right to me... maybe the helmets are a little short and flat, but compared to this picture, they look pretty much right. And the closest Stormtrooper looks like he's crouching to me, so that's probably why he looks "kind of short for a Stormtrooper"...
 matt--
06-02-2001, 3:00 PM
It may be farfetched, I know, but here is my viewing of the pics. In the bottom pic, Kyle is doing some sort of flip. You can see his head and then a shaft extend down from it(apparently). The shadowy shape is to thin to be a neck. I think he's doing a flip and holding the crate for support.

As for the lightsaber trails, look at the demo video, they look smooth and I doubt they took a step backwards.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-02-2001, 3:27 PM
Yeah... the game is close to 6, 7 weeks old, and they are really gonna keep everything from the alpha phase in the beta, and the final.

If we think these shots are cool now... just wait till this fall. :eek:
 Bartolo_JCS
06-02-2001, 4:31 PM
that's cuz the first stormtrooper is Luke skywalker hehe, I like that screenshot though reminds me of Dark Forces I the door and the imperial emblem above. Can't wait till they finish this game :)
 StormHammer
06-02-2001, 4:58 PM
I think the key problem with the Stormtroopers is the helmet. I think it's a little too large for the body, and it's too squared off at the bottom. It needs to be smaller, and tapered more. Other than that, the Stormtroopers are fine, IMO.

As for the second shot, looks to me like Kyle just cut the head off that Probe Droid. I reckon he just used saber throw to decapitate that piece of Imperial junk! :eek:

I like the pieces of debris flying off with the smoke trails. And the lightning around the Droid's body is simply superb - very reminiscent of R2 getting fried in the films...hehe...

And these are from a game only a few months old? If they do some tweaking and polishing, I think JKO is going to be a real blast!
 Azlon_Tir
06-02-2001, 5:19 PM
I saw the video clip of the gameplay and I can tell you, Though the saber trail looks odd in the screenshots, It looks !@#$ing AWSOME in motion! The trail in the screens are like that because of how fast he's moving, the screenshots cant capture the way it blurs. The stormies do look a little too round but im sure they will get better. What I really thought was cool was how in the video the stormies seemed to appear as if they were jumping through some sort of portal (ie: Stargate) it was really cool. The speed and animation in the game reminds me of the PC version of Obi Wan, very fast and with alot more saber moves. This thing looks GRRRRREAT!!!!!!!!
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 5:36 PM
the vid looks like its motion trailed because its a recorded monitor not th real ting. you ever look at a monitor on a vid cam?
 Krayt Tion
06-02-2001, 6:02 PM
It is also my impression that it is the stormie head which is out of proportion with the rest of it's body.

Azlon_Tir has an important point with the saber trails- the saber tells a much different story when it is standing still then when it is in motion. Having screenshoted the movement of sabers and sabertrails throughout a large number of games and their mods, I can say that while the saber is moving you will not be notcing effects of the saber like you did in the screenshot. The saber should be moving too fast for your eye to clock distinct shapes of the saber trails. In closer examination of screenshots I have taken of various in-game sabers I have noticed things that looked quite odd but when the saber is moving I couldn't see any of them; it is the end effect of the saber in motion that is important. And yes I have seen the JK2 video. :)
 magnus
06-02-2001, 6:38 PM
With the risk of getting the hole forum against me, I still say that the shoulders and arms are out of proportion.

As for the difference between things in motion and standstill, I think that applies to about anything. Everything will look a lot better when you move around.

But frankly... will you pay attention to every little detail when the laser blasts are whizzing and the legions are attacking?
 ed_silvergun
06-02-2001, 7:53 PM
I think the two stormtroopers in the foreground of the picture seem out of proportion because they are walking up a slope. If you look at the ones in the background, standing straight upright, they seem far more in proportion.
 runab0ut
06-02-2001, 9:05 PM
well, still... the stormtroopers should be skinny people and based on the SW screenshot theyre all skinny. yeah... the helmet's too big too.

:)
 cliffe
06-02-2001, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ed_silvergun:
<STRONG>I think the two stormtroopers in the foreground of the picture seem out of proportion because they are walking up a slope. If you look at the ones in the background, standing straight upright, they seem far more in proportion.</STRONG>

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is precisely what I was thinking.
 Thrawn
06-03-2001, 2:33 AM
The screenshot with the stomrtroopers looks a lot like Dark Forces, so I guess they're going back to their roots in this one. They've even gone back to using the blaster rifle from DF, instead of JK. If this is after ROTJ, you would think they would use the model from JK, since using one from DF makes it look like the time before ANH. Ah well, small detail. I like it either way :) :cool:
 UnForGiven
06-03-2001, 3:04 AM
unforgiven.... metallica fan?

YYYYYep! :D
 Wilhuf
06-03-2001, 3:05 AM
So the helmets are too big and the shoulder pads not correct. But didn't you see, OH MY GOD THEY LEFT OUT THE BOOT TOE SPIKES! Quick call George Lucas!
This project is in shambles! :rolleyes:
 Thrawn
06-03-2001, 3:10 AM
*Lucas walks into Raven with two REAL stormtroopers at his side*
GL: Status report?
Worker: Sir, work is preceding on schedule!
GL: Good, gasp! What is that? FAT STORMTROOPERS! The Horror! *snaps fingers* Boys you know what to do.

*stormies try to shoot the workers but miss with their horrible aim, destroying their computers instead*
 ed_silvergun
06-03-2001, 7:18 PM
Originally posted by Wilhuf:
<STRONG>So the helmets are too big and the shoulder pads not correct. But didn't you see, OH MY GOD THEY LEFT OUT THE BOOT TOE SPIKES! Quick call George Lucas!
This project is in shambles! :rolleyes:</STRONG>

Good one, Wilhuf, ever the one to bring the discussion back down to earth. :)
Page: 1 of 1