Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Interaction

Page: 1 of 1
 Aragorn
06-06-2001, 2:57 PM
There is an other topic called interaction but had nothing to do with what I had in mind, so I decided to start one...

What realy came to me when I saw that topic was the amount of interactivity in the game.
OK we know we'll be able to interact with NPCs, we know that we'll even have to be extra carefull with the saber 'cause even by toutching a NPC with it will actually kill him but what about the environments? Will they be interactive?
When I saw one of the first of OBW videos I was very surprised to see that the player could actually use force push on objects that in turn reacted realisticaly to things like gravity etc...The game physics seemed to me very advanced and that is a feature I'd love to see in JK2.
To me interactivity in a game is very important and I'd really like to hear your oppinions and ideas on the subject.
 Morpheus
06-06-2001, 3:25 PM
Interaction would be cool, and I hope that raven will use a more advanced AI than we have ever seen before..

just imagine the possibilities...

-Morpheus
 CaptainRAVE
06-06-2001, 4:10 PM
Interactivity is the most important thing in a game......look at Half Life, thats one of the things that made it sooooooo popular! :D And brought it closer to the gamer!
 Aragorn
06-06-2001, 9:50 PM
I was hoping about something more interactive than HL closer to Duke Nukem or something...
I'd like to see force powers that affect the environment and every object in the game. I'd like destructible objects, machinery that can be used in one way or another, drivable vehicles...I could go on forever...
A gameworld without interactivity is dull and won't actually convince the player that he is part of it.
HL was great because of its attention to detail. Everything was were it was supposed to be. Even crates (that are the most common site in FPS) didn't bother me.
I think by combining HL attention to detail and DNF or Deus Ex interactivity you have the perfect gameworld...
 StormHammer
06-06-2001, 10:24 PM
Yes, I would have to agree that interaction with the environment would make the game a lot more enjoyable.

My pet hate is coming across lots of doors and windows that don't break and don't open. This was one of the things that really annoyed me about Heretic II, to be honest (especially after Hexen and Hexen II had featured breakable glass). I'm glad to see the glass is back in for JKII.

As for the rest of the environment, I too would like to see more interaction with the environment. In Dark Forces, for example, you were given the opportunity to crack some Imperial codes. It was a very simple system which worked well, IMO.

Perhaps we could have some similar features in JKII. A little bit of data slicing, for example. Or being able to play back holo-recordings in real-time. Maybe get an R2 unit to jack in and unlock a door for you.

As for crates - well, I'd want the same kind of destructability as those in Half-Life. I mean, unless it's specially shielded, it shouldn't be impervious to a lightsaber.

Driveable vehicles...yes, of course, which is why I started a thread on it elsewhere.

Even the ability to turn lights on and off - and that was also somewhat used in DF, on the level where you had to turn the power on.

What I'd also like to be able to do, which I think has been mentioned before, is sit down and play that chess-type game on the Millennium Falcon.

In addition, it would be really great to be able to join a table of tough-looking aliens, and join in a game of Sabacc.

Or just sit and watch a proper Jizz band playing.

Of course, including a lot more furniture than JK had (destructible of course) would be good. And maybe have a Stormtrooper locker room, where you can search through their lockers for equipment - or even to disguise yourself as a Stormtrooper...

The possibilities are endless. Unfortunately, their budget isn't. ;)
 Letalis
06-06-2001, 10:35 PM
Interactivity is definitely a requirement.

Being able to talk to NPC's and possibly select what you say from a menu? This could also play a part in your tendencies towards either the Light side or the Dark. Love to be able to chat up some chic! ;)
 Aragorn
06-06-2001, 11:10 PM
What I actually would HATE to see in JKO is crates...Every game has them. It was ok in the beginning were every level designer had to fill empty space with objects made out of 12 polys the most but now it's unacceptable.
Back on topic, I can't remember the code cracking in DF! I really have to replay that game...
R2s would be cool to have around and I think you could order an R2 unit to open a door for u in MOTS...
Breakable doors I think would be cool although it's difficult in terms of level design...
Hehe, their budget isn't endless that's for sure, but some sugestions never hurt ;)
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-06-2001, 11:25 PM
I don't like Dues Ex. :D

I like R2 Droids. Maybe Kyle can have his own. Like Corran Horn had, or Luke, or Jaina. They all had their own personal R2 Unit that they took almost everywhere.

Remember that in Half-Life you couldn't shoot out the lights? That's a no no. heh
What if I don't want to fight that dark jedi in the light? Saber battles in the dark should be soo cool in this game.

I don't gamble, I'm not old enough. But Sabaac could be cool.

Breakable doors would be cool. Bust in on an illegal Sabaac game you could always hear behind those doors that wouldn't open in Jk, de-cap all the players and take all the winnings for yourself. :D Then go buy you that extra crystal you've always wanted for your lightsaber.

It would be pretty cool if we had to kill a tie pilot, then hop in his fighter and check out his orders and what's going on with the imperials.

Also, this timeline should be getting pretty close to the end of the war between the empire and the New Republic, Thrawn should be in command by now. According to the books anyway.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Ki-Adi-Mundi ]
 Archie
06-07-2001, 4:59 AM
Some of the more interactive features you are looking for would be cool, but I'm waiting for the RPG for that one ;).

Half-Life was actually not that interactive, most of the bits that seemed so were pre-scripted. But it was all the better for it.

Deus Ex in a Star Wars world would be interesting, but it's not exactly JKII.
 GonkH8er
06-07-2001, 6:19 AM
having 2 people standing in a pitch black room then both igniting their sabers would be pretty good :)
 Sarge
06-07-2001, 6:36 AM
That would be pretty cool. I hope they make it to where we can shoot out the lights. I would love to see the same kind of interaction that is going to be in Duke Nukem Forever in JK2, too bad it takes so long to do though. :(
 GonkH8er
06-07-2001, 7:20 AM
if we can get 32 or so players into 1 dark room with all their sabers on, and either standing still or fighting, and get one person to take a screenshot, itd make a pretty good picture :)
 Letalis
06-07-2001, 9:15 AM
Especially with a rainbow of colours! Muchos sexy! :D
 GonkH8er
06-07-2001, 9:31 AM
mmmm perrddddy light sticks :)
 CaptainRAVE
06-07-2001, 4:31 PM
Interactivity is the key to a game!!
 runab0ut
06-09-2001, 6:20 AM
yes, i agree to the interactivity needed to really immerse the player into the JK/SW universe.

here are some notes:
limits of the game engine itself as to oppose to how many polygons on screen.

mapping/levels issues - you just cant make everything in a level a func_breakable ( func_breakable in HL is a attibute applied to an object to be... (duh?) breakable) as the engine would be bogged down.
 Darth Oosha
06-11-2001, 11:52 AM
Personally, I'm just going to hope that the next Star Wars FPS is based on the Red Faction. And involves some real Rebel soldiers instead of Jedi and Sith wannabes running around everywhere.
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 12:11 PM
I really don't get it...
Maybe you could be more clear?
 Sith Warrior
06-11-2001, 12:50 PM
I think that every game has interaction in it, the question is; how much interaction. Jedi Knight and it's expansion pack, Mysteries of the Sith had a pretty good ammount of interaction in them, such as: destroyable fuel tanks, enemies that sream when falling from long drops(i.e. using the disable AI code and then running into the enemy), and flying shrapnel after a rail explosion. From what I've heard, Jedi Outcast should be even more interactive, since the lightsaber is supposed to leave red-hot marks where ever it touches. Knowing Raven and some of the amazing games that they have produced, I do not think we will have to worry much about a lack of interactivity.
Page: 1 of 1