Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gamepad VS Keyboard/Mouse

Page: 1 of 1
 Obi Kwan
06-02-2001, 3:04 AM
I dont care if it sounds like I am a console lover, but I would much rather play any fps with a gamepad than with the keyboard/mouse. Do you think that Raven will include support for any specific controller, and which one will it be?
 NeJJa
06-02-2001, 3:10 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
are you crazy?
mouse: control/aiming 10 times better that gamepad.
keyboard: you wil never cram as many button on a gamepad so close to eachother as you have in the middle of the keyboard.

CASE CLOSED!
 Caradoc
06-02-2001, 3:49 AM
2 of the best NF saberist iv played didnt use a mouse at all. I use mouse and keyboard myself. Septurla_JCS used a game pad and DAMN was he good. He allso used 1st fire beter than anyone iv ever seen. KARMACOMA_JCS just used a keybord. And he is consiered one of the best ever. Anyway... Im no saying you can shoot without a mouse...hehe how? but thats my 2 sence.
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-02-2001, 6:40 AM
Well, the most common way is keyboard/mouse. But I'd say whatever works best. If you come from a console background, people usually prefer something other thn keyboard/mouse. I used to play fps's with a joystick. I know Vagabind has a cyber man setup and he does quite well with it. I just say whatever works best.
 WD_ToRMeNt
06-02-2001, 7:29 AM
Nej is right, the mouse is the best aiming tool. Also there are more buttons on the keyboard for hotkeys. Understand that if people do well with gamepad/joystick, it's in NF sabers. NF sabers doesn't require aim or multitasking (controling tons of buttons), which is why I don't hold it in very high regard. Also NF saberists don't develop aim, so they never get good at other FPSs or the other aspects of JK.

Also, we don't know what sabering in JK2 will be like. Perhaps there will be a reason to use the mouse. Since they are using the Q3 engine, most of the current NFers will be gone or become fragbait (people with dial up don't last long against broadband users on a q3 server).

One more thing, mouse is better in JK1 sabering cause of warp. I would hate to use gamepad, cause that would mean I was always turning at one rate of speed (depending on the sensitivity i set). I wouldn't be able to move "normaly" then all of a sudden pull a warp move. As for joystick, well mouse is faster and gives you more control. Would you rather have to move your whole arm or just hand?

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: -WD- ToRMeNt ]
 Darth Joyda
06-02-2001, 7:39 AM
Some might say it's personal opinion - matter of taste and matter of what you handle better. But, a pure cold fact is that mouse/keyboard combination is faster to aim and turn, as gamepad.

And if JediKnightII will be fast-paced and hectic, with great multiplayer option and good servers, people will NEED the keyboard/mouse combination to survive.
 Archie
06-02-2001, 9:20 AM
Also, we don't know what sabering in JK2 will be like. Perhaps there will be a reason to use the mouse. Since they are using the Q3 engine, most of the current NFers will be gone or become fragbait (people with dial up don't last long against broadband users on a q3 server).

That's only because of the fast paced nature of Q3A deathmatching, not inherant in the engine, I expect JDII will be considerably slower paced, and so ping becomes less important.
 Aragorn
06-02-2001, 10:45 AM
Keyboard/mouse vs gamewhat? :rolleyes:

OK, first it's Vagabond with his crazy setup from outter space (though he can kick my a$$ with that joystick of his anytime) and now this? ;)
 ReAcToR
06-02-2001, 11:01 AM
Try both, use what is more comfortable. Although it's very hard to aim with a controller, it's mainly because it takes more time to learn.

Let's not forget that one of the greatest Q1/Q2 Dmers of all time used a Madcatz controller - Thresh.

It's easier to learn the keyboard/mouse and you would be a joke to play FF without them, but they are fine for NF.
 GonkH8er
06-02-2001, 11:34 AM
i used to play jediknight TOTALLY with nothing but the keyboard....

yup. used to be a keyboard guy. finished jediknight on hard using it. before i could play it online.

i dunno how i did it :)
 Ice Man
06-02-2001, 1:11 PM
If you are going to play this game on Gamepad and I probably will, than you need this gamepad. I highly recommend it.

Sidewinder Dual Strike:

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/devices/DualS/DS_Feature01.htm") TARGET=_blank>
http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/library/images/sidewinder/Devices/newDS/DS-04b.jpg) </A>

The prespective control on the right control the aim. It takes over the mouse movements and it makes it much easier to aim.

It works as follows:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/library/images/sidewinder/Devices/newDS/m_perspec.gif) http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/library/images/sidewinder/Devices/newDS/m_Spin.gif)

It comes with software to program keyboard keys to buttons on the joystick. It even comes with a "shift" button to double up the features on the buttons. :cool:
It's great.

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Ice Man ]

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Ice Man ]
 ZeroXcape
06-02-2001, 2:08 PM
When I originally played JK, I used a Joystick & keyboard because I couldn't comprehend why someone would use a mouse over a joystick. After I got into Half-Life and my joystick broke, I was forced to use a mouse. After getting the hang of it, there's no way I'll go back. I find that with a mouse (especially an optical mouse) you have so much more control over aiming, turning, etc.
 StormHammer
06-02-2001, 4:34 PM
I'm another keyboard/mouse user. I can't imagine that changing any time soon. But if you think a different controller is best for you, then go with it.

All I would say to anyone contemplating getting a different controller is give it a try before you buy - and preferably try it with a favourite FPS game to make sure you can use it effectively.

I mean, I've got an Intellimouse Explorer - but it doesn't feel as comfortable as some other mice I've used. Don't know why, but that's the way it is.

You should choose the most ergonomic device for you, whether it's mouse, keyboard, gamepad, joystick or whatever. I know it's sometimes difficult to try before you buy - but try and find a store where they allow you to do exactly that. You don't have to buy from there (if it's expensive), just try out the goods. And ignore the salesperson breathing down your neck.

There's nothing worse than using something that is not comfortable for prolonged periods, and you could end up with problems as a result.

*cuts up soap box with lightsaber, and exits left*
Page: 1 of 1