Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tougher on trolls/bloated heads?

Page: 1 of 1
 Disturbed205
08-28-2012, 9:49 AM
Let me start off by saying I've always enjoyed lucasforums, and it's a great community, but as of late, especially in Holowan Labs..I've noticed many of the older modders have began belittling and discouraging new modders. The community used to be excited and welcome new modders, but now people act like it's an exclusive VIP club.

In my opinion, posts on WIP should be constructive feedback, advice, etc and NOT posts complaining about how the author should give up because it's already been done, it's probably too hard don't bother, etc. This is horrible for a community and many people just leave after these "veteran" modders walk into every thread to troll.

tl;dr: I ask for the opinions of the moderators, and the community on the topic of stricter enforcement of rules (especially that of Holowan and WIP threads).

Feedback should be useful, not rude!

5. Spamming

Spamming is strictly prohibited. Your post needs to contribute to the discussion or the topic. Spam Details:

Do not post messages that are irrelevant to the topic or attempt to derail the conversation. Your posts should contribute to the thread in some manner.

Chatting is speaking in a light, familiar way and includes informal talk or one sentence posts like “I agree.” Chatting is considered spamming and will be dealt with accordingly in the KotOR boards. However, it will be tolerated to a limited extent in the Ahto Spaceport Cantina. Please remember that Off-Topic forums (such as Ahto) are for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion. The staff will lock blatantly spammy threads at their discretion.

8. General posting habits
Try to stay on topic. Discussion is a good thing and is encouraged, but if what you have to say deviates a lot from the topic, do not post it in that thread. Consider starting your own thread instead. This is a matter of respect to the thread starter.

18. Other

The most important rule of all: Don't be stupid. Use common sense.
 thejman217
08-28-2012, 6:52 PM
I totally agree. Even though I am not a modder myself, I as well have noticed many other experienced modders who are new to the forums discourage new modders.

I think it should be stopped, as it could prevent those "newb" modders to create brilliant mods in the future.

Who knows? Maybe one of those "newb" modders could be the future of KotOR 1 & 2 modding.
 Blix
08-28-2012, 7:52 PM
The really bad trolls (I can only recall one at the moment) got banned a while back and is still on ban-status as I know. The others while trollish, usually just refuse to see any other point of view in a debate and enjoy stirring up arguments so that they can say "yay I wun gaiz!" at the end of the day. But I agree useful feedback is useful, acting like a know-it-all smartass isn't helping anyone.
 mimartin
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Can’t say I agree or disagree since I have not seen many/any reported post coming from Holowan Labs. Just checked… since July 2 only 1 reported post.

Moderators cannot read every post. I will admit I hardly ever go into Holowan Labs since I know little to nothing about the technical side of the games, but if you report a post, I get a email and I do check the post then and if it is something involving modification of the game, then I will chat with someone that knows more about that then I do. However, I don’t need help it is just a trolling post. So if you see a post that you consider violating the rules then please report it. Not sure the moderator will tar and feather the culprit, but we will look at the post and determine if it violates the rules and if so take appropriate action.

So if you have a problem with a post that violates forum rules, then please share that with staff by reporting the post. :)

Thanks
 Q
08-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah, Redhawke used to moderate Holowan and the TUCE with an iron fist. :xp:

Since he isn't around anymore, things are bound to get a little out of control in there.
 .:Lord Revan:.
08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
^He was on 2 months ago.
 Sithspecter
08-31-2012, 12:47 AM
Well, I too have noticed this trend. It's occurred way too often, and you definitely have a point. There have been quite a few older members who do belittle newer modders on what they decide to mod.

I'll post a sticky, and see that this comes to a stop. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
 RedHawke
09-16-2012, 8:49 AM
Yeah, Redhawke used to moderate Holowan and the TUCE with an iron fist. :xp:
I had to go off and get new sharpened spikes for my fist. ;P

Since he isn't around anymore, things are bound to get a little out of control in there.
I'm here, just not as much as I used to be able to be. I do keep an eye on the reported posts, so if any get reported and they are bad I will stomp on them.
 Q
09-30-2012, 3:44 AM
LOL, good to see that you're around. :)

You've always been one of the good guys, despite your "Shadow Lord of the Sith™" persona.
 Prime
10-03-2012, 9:48 AM
I am also on the list of moderators there and I look at reported post emails that I get. So if you guys feel that someone is being inappropriate, PLEASE report it and we will to address it. I don't browse in there very often, so I don't see everything either.
Page: 1 of 1