Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Troopers are pretty boss

Page: 1 of 2
 Rogue Nine
01-10-2012, 9:52 AM
Having a lot of fun playing my trooper, probably more than is legally allowed. I really like the storyline so far and the abilities I have access to are buckets of awesome. I think I've led off every major battle I've fought with Mortar Volley just because it blasts the bejeezus out of everything.

I just got my ship and am preparing to leave Coruscant. Just one question though... do you think it's a bit pretentious of me to nickname my ship "The Clap"?

:joy:
 Lynk Former
01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Just wait till you progress in the storyline, there are some pretty epic moments ahead for you :D :D

I've really loved playing as a Trooper in this game, especially since I'm a Vanguard... I'm right up there, in the enemies faces, stock striking them out and then mortar volleying a group a few metres away.

Of course since you're a Commando, you'd wanna keep things at a distance, but the way the Trooper can be an effective ranged and melee class depending on advanced class is pretty awesome.

Also, I call my ship "Gunsight One" but that's cause I lurve Macross references :p
 Jeff
01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I haven't started a Trooper yet but when I played one in beta I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. And then of course there is Jen Hale's awesome voice acting which is probably what I liked most.
 mimartin
01-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Wait Jennifer Hale voices the female trooper? What the hell am I doing playing a smuggler!

Trooper is my next playthrough, that is if I don't abandon my smuggler tonight.
 Lynk Former
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
"Looks like you could use a soldier." :p
 DarthParametric
01-10-2012, 1:58 PM
Apparently the Trooper mirror class Bounty Hunter has Grey DeLisle doing the female voice. I never play female chars, but that may very well tempt me to create a second BH at some point.

I've playeg a bit of everything pretty much between beta and live, and I have to say the Trooper/BH is a pretty good mix. It's probably the class I'd recommend to people new to MMOs. The BH is especially friendly with a healer as the first companion. Really lets you wade in with abandon.
 mimartin
01-10-2012, 2:45 PM
It's probably the class I'd recommend to people new to MMOs. The BH is especially friendly with a healer as the first companion. Really lets you wade in with abandon.Wait you wouldn't recommend a smuggler scoundrel healer for someone's first go solo in a MMO? :D

I know I wouldn't after experiencing it first hand.
 Rogue Nine
01-10-2012, 3:37 PM
Wait Jennifer Hale voices the female trooper? What the hell am I doing playing a smuggler!

Trooper is my next playthrough, that is if I don't abandon my smuggler tonight.
I totally recognized Jen Hale's voice as the trooper and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. :D
 Totenkopf
01-10-2012, 8:55 PM
I noticed it as well when seeing the "trooper class" vid last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TGjjXBylf0).
 mimartin
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I’m not 100% sure if it is that Troopers are easier or that I just better at the game mechanics now, but I played up to level 8 last night and didn’t die and unlike my smuggler I killed everything. After that, I finally died a couple times when I got cute against an elite and strong at the same level as my toon without the benefits of buffs and under equipped and trained (by under trained I mean I leveled up, but had not visited a trainer). Overall, I will agree with Rogue Nine Troopers are boss.

I would highly recommend a Trooper for anyone that hates dying or that is a casual gamer. The starting abilities make the fights a breeze and can very easily be adapted to also control mobs ability to shoot at you. Unlike with a smuggler I hardly ever had to pause between battles to recuperate and I could easily slaughter everything within an area.

Loved the voice of Jennifer Hale too, many of the lines were dead pan soldier banter, but she does them to perfection. I could almost hear her say “This is Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.”

This is definitely going to be my second playthrough. Going to get her off world tonight and then go back to my smuggler.
 DarthParametric
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
If you go Commando/Mercenary at level 22 you'll get a 60 sec stun that is quite handy for dealing with groups of elites/strongs. Stun the strongest, take out the weaker mobs, then fight the stunned mob one-on-one (or technically two-on-one, once you have a companion). If you go that route you'll also have your base AC healing abilities even if you don't spec healer, which can be useful in a jam and handy for off-healing in groups.
 Miltiades
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
And as DP said, the Bounty Hunter pretty much fills that role on the Sith Empire side. Dying doesn't happen often and you can handle quite a lot on your own. At some point (esp. if you're a few levels above the enemies level) you can eliminate groups with one or two AOE skills, taking out enemies at a staggering rate.

Edit: @DP: yep, that's exactly how I do that, mostly for the Heroic +2 quests that I can do on my own.
 mimartin
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
yeah, but the Bounty Hunter does not have Jennifer Hale's voice. :xp:
 Miltiades
01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
yeah, but the Bounty Hunter does not have Jennifer Hale's voice. :xp:
Everything else already has Jennifer Hale's voice, so thank goodness for that. Besides, Grey DeLisle > Jennifer Hale. :carms:
 DarthParametric
01-11-2012, 3:04 PM
Grey DeLisle > Jennifer Hale. :carms:+Infinity. You win the thread sir.
 mimartin
01-12-2012, 2:48 PM
I think I've led off every major battle I've fought with Mortar Volley just because it blasts the bejeezus out of everything.
Got Mortar Volley last night and the part which was a little difficult or at least took some strategy as a smuggler with a companion to complete was easy solo as a trooper.

Really difficult to go back to smuggler after that, but I can't waste a level 38 character half way done with Quesh. Plus I told the guild I'd do the healer thing.

Haven't decided on an advance class on my trooper, anyone have any advice? For now she is parked at the cantina on the fleet awaiting my decision (and my completing my smuggler).
 Rogue Nine
01-12-2012, 3:27 PM
Depends on what you want to do with her. I went Commando, since I intend to focus on Ranged DPS with mine, with some minor healing abilities. If you want to go tank, then Vanguard is the path to follow. I think Lynk is one and he seems to like it (then again Lynk's choice in anything is usually suspect, so take that with a grain of salt :xp: )
 DarthParametric
01-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I would definitely go Commando. I would suggest the Gunnery tree.
 JasraLantill
01-13-2012, 7:58 AM
I’m not 100% sure if it is that Troopers are easier or that I just better at the game mechanics now, but I played up to level 8 last night and didn’t die and unlike my smuggler I killed everything.
I'm 100% sure. Troopers are easier. Like you, I chose a smuggler as my first character and I can't count how many times I've died. Then I tried a trooper. OMG, what a difference! Killing was way easy. I didn't even have to think too much about which foe to take out first. Just launch a grenade barrage, then finish them off with a few blaster shots--done deal. Leveling up was so much faster. It took me like twenty minutes to get my trooper to the same level it took my smuggler two hours to achieve. Or it seemed like it anyway.

But, I've left my trooper on Ord Mantell and went back to my smuggler for the time being. Miqui may not have a lot of armour or massively destructive weapons, but her story is great so far and having to use stealth and surprise to defeat an enemy is more challenging and fun for me.

For my trooper, the recipe is the bigger the gun and the stronger the armour the better--just aim, fire, then loot. Troopers are definitely a lot easier to play!

Just out of curiosity, Mimartin, are you taking your smuggler all the way up the sawbones route? Or have you gone with some other skills as well?
 mimartin
01-13-2012, 9:06 AM
Just out of curiosity, Mimartin, are you taking your smuggler all the way up the sawbones route? Or have you gone with some other skills as well?

Now at level 39, she is still straight 100% sawbones. What I have noticed with this route is you must make sure companions are more up to date than your toon. If the reward is better armor for you or your companion, take the companion gear, especially weapons. Also have to slow down and inspect my surroundings every time. Take the strongest out of the fight while killing the lower level mob, heal and then take out the big boy focused on healing companion on the strongest. The stronger the boss the less likely I’m even to cause any damage. Works really well with 95% of the battles, where it does work at all is battles out of cut scenes. Last night I died within 6 seconds coming out of a cut scene in a story quest line boss on Quesh. Call the medical probe and had no trouble the second try when I could use my smuggler's skills.

So far, I’ve only found a smuggler quest line boss on Tatooine and a bonus boss on Quesh that I haven’t been able to defeat. Another bonus boss on Balmorra killed me more times than I can count, but I finally got the last laugh.. The one on Tatooine I called Mav and Lynk in to help me (and by help I mean they killed the pair). The one on Quesh, I’m still working on. Finished Quesh last night expect for that bonus boss, so it will die sometimes this weekend even if I have to go last resort and call in Lynk again. I think I’m a little too stubborn to play as a healer sometimes.
 DarthParametric
01-13-2012, 9:22 AM
Last night I died within 6 seconds coming out of a cut scene in a story quest line boss on Quesh.Yes, that is a seriously flawed part of the game. Not only for the cover classes, but my Juggernaut had lots of issues with it as well as he needs 10m+ range to Force Charge in to proc a free Force Scream and build enough Rage to use any of his main abilities. When you are dumped out of a cutscene straight into 0-5m combat, it can be a real headache. And as your example demonstrates, you rarely have more than a few seconds to assess the situation and get the upper hand.

I recall from beta that in one or two Agent story missions that they would actually show you diving out of the way at the end of the cutscene, leaving you a bit further back when combat began (albeit not actually in cover). I'm not sure why they don't do something like that for all class stories to be honest. It's just laziness and bad design on their part.
 JasraLantill
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I recall from beta that in one or two Agent story missions that they would actually show you diving out of the way at the end of the cutscene, leaving you a bit further back when combat began (albeit not actually in cover). I'm not sure why they don't do something like that for all class stories to be honest. It's just laziness and bad design on their part.

My smuggler can dive for cover, but only if there is something close by to hide behind. She can't just dive and roll on her own. She just kneels. (Or sometimes, I like to think she is praying for salvation because she knows she's just gonna die.)

But, yeah, the battles after the cut scenes are sometimes tough as I don't always have time to get her out of the way before she starts getting pounded. I found that flash grenades sometimes work well to initially break away. So do the blaster whip and the dirty kick (which strangely seems to work equally well on droids as it does on living beings... :raise:)

I have been doing a similar kind of tactic as Mimartin has been using as far as using the companion as a tank and then taking out one of the weaker foes while keeping him healed up. As soon as I make the first kill, then all sorts of buffs are made available, and I've been sort of practicing on what combos seem to work well together. I really like using a back blast with the shotgun, followed by a blaster whip, then a dirty kick (though I keep thinking I should be earning DS points for doing so. ;) )

Just wish my companion was a trooper instead of a... erm, I'm not exactly sure what Corso Riggs is actually. He has the capability for heavy armour, but for some reason he can't use the artillery-style heavy weapons. Or at least, I don't think he can. I'm just at level 18, so maybe he can use them later? I don't know. But I'll still try to keep him as armoured and armed as possible as I use him as a tank mostly. Suppose if he was a trooper though, my smuggler wouldn't have to be so sneaky.

If I ever do need help with one of the big bosses later on though, at least I have guildmates to call on for some assistance. :)
 mimartin
01-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Dirty Kick, Sucker Punch and Blaster Whip = anything below strong dead. :) Strong you have to add one more step. :) By product is you now have Upper Hand for the next bad guy.
 Rogue Nine
01-14-2012, 2:40 PM
Taris is the worst planet ever.
 mimartin
01-14-2012, 3:28 PM

So TOR is just like KotOR in that regards. :xp:
 Totenkopf
01-14-2012, 8:08 PM

How so?
 Scorge
01-14-2012, 9:42 PM

I honestly agree, im not up to Taris on my lv 19 Juggernaut yet, but on my Guardian.....its a pain.
 DarthParametric
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Taris is a cakewalk for Troopers/Bounty Hunters. Like so much else.
 Taak Farst
01-15-2012, 9:20 AM
So TOR is just like KotOR in that regards. :xp:

Psht Taris was awesome in KOTOR, one of my favourite planets! Was massively disappointed with it in TOR
 Jeff
01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
So TOR is just like KotOR in that regards. :xp:Taris is one of my favorite planets in KotOR, but in TOR it definitely didn't live up to that for me. Was hoping they would have rebuilt more than they did in 300 years...
 mimartin
01-16-2012, 1:45 AM
I shouldn't gripe about Taris in KotOR, it was my first RPG and I didn't listen real well and got stuck in the upper city for like 8 hours. My fault for not listening, but the side product of my mistake was that was how I found Lucas Forums. ;)

I didn't even mind Taris in TOR. Well except when I kept dying fighting that swamp thing with Mav and Lynk.
 DarthParametric
01-16-2012, 1:00 PM
My BH finished Taris tonight and just landed on Quesh (level 37). To reiterate my earlier comment, Taris was a complete breeze, even hitting higher level mobs. By contrast, I recall my Juggernaut had more than a few rough patches during his sojourn there.

Speaking of the Jugg, I went back to him tonight to try once again to solo the class quest on Voss he was stuck on. I abandoned him a week ago after dying repeatedly. After reading a big thread on Sith Warrior/Jedi Guardian issues over at the official forum, I decided to try once again using a different tack. Again it resulted in failure. Given how much I prefer the BH in terms of playstyle, I'm not sure when I'll go back to him.
 Miltiades
01-16-2012, 1:49 PM
So we got impressions on the difficulty for Troopers/Bounty Hunters and the tank-style classes. How is the Imperial Agent doing solo in terms of difficulty? I'm guessing much like the Smuggler?
 Taak Farst
01-16-2012, 4:00 PM
Taris is one of my favorite planets in KotOR, but in TOR it definitely didn't live up to that for me. Was hoping they would have rebuilt more than they did in 300 years...

agreed, i hoped to see some familiar locations rebuilt after 3 centuries. More importantly, I had hoped for Taris to be the 'KotOR reference' planet, and aside from a couple like the Endar Spire, which, in itself wasn't special, there was none. Could have been something about the Undercity Outcasts, but zilch.

@Miltiades
I don't find either the Smuggler or the Imperial Agent too difficult, but I think they are incredibly fun. But to answer your question, yes, they are near enough the same
 mimartin
01-16-2012, 5:42 PM
So we got impressions on the difficulty for Troopers/Bounty Hunters and the tank-style classes. How is the Imperial Agent doing solo in terms of difficulty? I'm guessing much like the Smuggler?

Smuggler is fun, as a healer it just takes some planning and patience. However I am getting better at it. Level 41 and having a blast.

@ Taak Farst - there a few more things on Taris linked to KotOR besides Endar Spire. I thought some of the references to Revan were rather far-featched.

The three things I can remember besides the Endar Spire are
swoop bike, outcast and the rakghoul serum.

Could have been something about the Undercity Outcasts, but zilch.

Look around some more because the undercity and the outcasts are in there. :)
 Miltiades
01-16-2012, 6:04 PM
The (possible) references to KotOR I have experienced myself so far, haven't been very satisfying to be honest. The questline involving Revan on Nar Shaddaa wasn't terribly exciting. It must lead to something, but on its own, it's quite underwhelming. Then there's the Czerka storyline on Tatooine (Empire side) involving an ancient artefact, which was nothing special but gave us The Imprisoned One, which I'm guessing is the Rakata from KotOR who uses riddles. Maybe I don't remember him that well anymore, but I'm not sure he was the power-hungry being he's being portrayed as in TOR.

I smiled when I saw the name Ulgo appear on Alderaan, though. :)
 Lynk Former
01-16-2012, 6:53 PM
You can't get much built with a full blown Rakghoul plague going on and everyone being killed... which in itself is a huge reference to KotOR...

But this isn't a "references to KotOR" thread, this is a a thread about how awesome Troopers are :dozey:
 DarthParametric
01-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Bounty Hunters are even awesomer. By level 37 I have had the opportunity to forcibly disarm two people in cutscenes where they got the drop on me and demanded I surrender (hah!). One of which was a Jedi who I flipped over, pinned to the ground and then, after a nonchalant "I thought Jedi were supposed to be fast", casually shot in the face. Bad ass. My Jugg has choked and sabered a lot of people to death in cutscenes, but it's not quite as cool as a non-Force user getting one over on a dress wearer.
 Miltiades
01-17-2012, 9:25 AM
I remember my Bounty Hunter having to speak on holonews through a comm channel, but instead of saying what he was asked to say, he put in a commercial offering his services to the highest bidder. xD So yeah, Bounty Hunters are cool.
 Taak Farst
01-17-2012, 1:07 PM
I've noticed a couple of times that my Trooper calls his superiors that are women, 'Sir'. Is this intentional or a dialogue screw up?
 Astor
01-17-2012, 1:30 PM
I've noticed a couple of times that my Trooper calls his superiors that are women, 'Sir'. Is this intentional or a dialogue screw up?

It's intentional. In most real and fictional (Starfleet, for instance) armed forces you are required to call an officer 'Sir' regardless of gender.
 Rogue Nine
01-17-2012, 1:48 PM
In a military structure, it is appropriate to refer to a female officer that outranks you as either 'sir' or 'ma'am'. If she prefers to be called one or the other, she'll let you know.
 Lynk Former
01-17-2012, 4:42 PM
Intentional. The codex actually says that in the military, you refer to your superiors as "sir" despite their sex or gender... since there are species that are neither male or female.
 Jeff
01-17-2012, 4:46 PM
But the actual reasoning behind that is they didn't want to record extra VA with "ma'am"... :p
 Lynk Former
01-17-2012, 8:10 PM
Actually there are several moments in the game where I've encountered different dialogue for males and females. For example, all throughout Alderaan my Marauder, Silvana was called "My Lady" instead of "My Lord" and I've encountered other similar things where the dialogue is obviously different depending on your sex.

If it really was an excuse, they wouldn't have all of those other alternative pieces of dialogue which are very frequent.
 mimartin
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
With a smuggler they are always talking about how pretty my toon is. I really hope it isn't the same dialogue with a male smuggler.

Noticed the "Sirs" with my tropper, but it hasn't really bothered me.
 Scorge
01-18-2012, 9:21 PM
I've noticed a couple of times that my Trooper calls his superiors that are women, 'Sir'.?

Years ago, when star wars the clone wars came out, (I don't like it anymore) I noticed the clones called Ashoka "Sir" even though she is a girl. So I guess it's just something Troopers call women,
 Totenkopf
01-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Years ago, when star wars the clone wars came out, (I don't like it anymore) I noticed the clones called Ashoka "Sir" even though she is a girl. So I guess it's just something Troopers call women,

You mean "superiors" (as Jedi, regardless of gender, would be considered "superior officers" to the troopers).
 mimartin
01-19-2012, 2:02 PM
Not my trooper, she eats Jedi for breakfast and then ask for seconds.
 darthfergie
01-19-2012, 6:04 PM
I just got my ship and am preparing to leave Coruscant. Just one question though... do you think it's a bit pretentious of me to nickname my ship "The Clap"?

:joy:

LOL!
That's what my friend calls his ship. :giggle1:

I'm leveling my commando with his vanguard plus a sage and guardian. Leveling in a group of 4 with two of them having Mortar Volley only accents how truely awesome Troopers are. Walk into a room full of non-elites? Room asplodes and the Sage & Knight are picking up the scraps.

Having way too much fun as a Commando...

The other day I decided I was far too amazing for normal armor and was in need of a cape so I purchased an orange JK piece with extra Tat Commendations and outfitted it with Aim Mods. I'm officially the caped crusader and it's friggin awesome.

Cape + Massive Double Barrel Cannon + Big explosions = Pure Nirvana

Troopers are pretty dang boss.
Page: 1 of 2