Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Complaints 'bout Revan's Fate (Spoilerific)

Page: 1 of 1
 Taak Farst
12-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Really? REALLY?! I am incredibly angry at BioWare right now! They have taken a legendary character that they could have done anything with, and had an amazing story arc, a character that i loved playing in KotOR...and they had him killed in a pre-level 40 instance....

What a horrible end to Revan. That was totally lame. I can't actually express the nerdy rage currently going on in words. Been alive for centuries, but was just taken down by 3 - 4 mid levellers...
The fact he was killed at all annoyed me. It's Scarlet Commander Mograine all over again, as they could have done anything with him, but you kill him around level 30.

ARGH SO MAD./rant
What do you guys think?
 mimartin
12-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Seeing how Revan was capped at level 20, I'd don't see a real problem with someone at level 30 being able to kill him.

Plus give the guy a break he is over 300 years old, he should have died long, long ago. :)
 Alexrd
12-19-2011, 6:12 AM
I never really got the so called "legendary" status of Revan. It was my avatar during KotOR, nothing more nor less. His story is what I decided it to be. I understand that his ending didn't met your expectations, but you can ignore it if you wish. Personally, I never gave too much importance to his story in the EU.
 mimartin
12-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I never really got the so called "legendary" status of Revan.

Well I can actually understand the “legendary” status of Revan, as Revan is one of the first times we were allowed to add ourselves to the Star Wars universe. We got to decide the fate of the Jedi and the Republic during that era. Revan was my first RPG character, her story offered the possible classic Star Wars story of redemption and KOTOR offered one of the better game twist I had ever seen . However, the choices you are allowed to make with your Revan are precisely what makes Revan a flawed EU characters. Fanboys/Fangirls will moan if the great and powerful Revan is left out of anything EU, but then will still moan when Revan is included because he/she does not measure of to their delusions of grandeur.

Personally I would have preferred if BioWare would have just let Revan rest in peace. TOR is set 300 years later and even if Revan was force sensitive, his/her combat history would suggest his/her life span shouldn’t allow him/her to live so long. I would have been happy had Revan just been credited (along with the Exile) in delaying the Sith invasion for a few hundred years.
 Totenkopf
12-19-2011, 1:11 PM
I basically agree. Given what Revan accomplished in his era, he (by canon) would still have deserved legendary/notorious status, but projecting him 300 years into the future and essentially in stasis (judging by vids)for much of it seems lame in my book as well. Would have been better to have tied up his story closer to original timeline. That said, I guess Bioware just raped some peoples' delusions. ;)
 Lynk Former
12-19-2011, 3:21 PM
10 bucks says that in a future expansion, something epic happens, yada, yada, yada and in the end Revan's spirit merges with your character and your character becomes Revan.

XD
 deathdisco
12-19-2011, 3:48 PM
Isn't Revan's fate different if you play Republic(vs Empire)?
 Taak Farst
12-19-2011, 7:12 PM
Isn't Revan's fate different if you play Republic(vs Empire)?

absolutely no idea.

I was happy with him getting a face and such. I liked how he looked. and it was inevitable. so i have no gripes about that from a 'i created him in kotor' type of view. but just the outcome of everything. taken down by mid levellers. ugh.
 Darth Avlectus
12-19-2011, 7:40 PM
This thread probably needs to be marked with spoilers.

Discovering about Revan won't ruin my TOR experience so it's okay that I got in on the spoilers.

Sounds like you got to do the empire side of things, TF.

DK said on his own blog site, the narrative arc for Revan basically needed to waine. Badasses can be beaten by other badasses, and your badass in the MMO needs to rise, so consequently Revan falls. Your character potentially surpasses the Emperor, and Revan was outwitted/cheapshot by the Emperor. After 300 years (not growing, stuck in stasis via alchemy) and being mentally drowned in darkness, fighting it this whole time, well, it is understandable that he might be a bit weak and tired.

If he is weak in the beta, tell the techs so they can make him harder. I'm sure the power of the boss scales up and down: beatable for a single player, and yet if you had a party of 16 or something like that he could be quite a challenge.

If it is the ending, well, I'm assuming from the sound of it that this was the empire side of things--there may be a whole other ending you have not seen yet. This one needed to be made in such a way it did not necessarily retcon previous canon (revan ended/died more or less redeemed, light side fighting the sith empire).
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-19-2011, 7:49 PM
Revan is overrated.
 mimartin
12-19-2011, 9:10 PM
This thread probably needs to be marked with spoilers. Looks at title of thread. Looks at what Darth Avelectus wrote....Looks back at title of thread....Reads "Complaints 'bout Revan's Fate (Spoilerific)"...."Revan's Fate (Spoilerific)"...Spoilerific...Looks back at Darth Avlectus post in wonder.... :xp:
 Exile007
12-22-2011, 4:25 PM
Revan's fate is different depending on whether you choose the Empire or the Republic. Republic forces
Save Revan from the Emperor's cage
While the Empire people
Kill Revan onboard the Foundry
I haven't played the game yet, and I don't plan to. The fact that Revan was alive for 300 years just chilling in the Emperor's prison only to awaken during the period of The Old Republic is such an obvious attempt to draw yet moar subscribers and make moar $$$. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a business being a business, I'm just saying that it was a business decision first and staying within the realms of probability was second.
 mimartin
12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
My main PC is a Smuggler, only on the third planet. Haven't really encountered anything really directly involving Revan, but
I did find visiting the wreckage of the Endar Spire and locating the recordings about the Promised Land a nice nod to KOTOR.

Still can’t believe Revan didn’t attempt to rescue the outcast once he found the Star Forge. Some lightside savior he was. Lightside Exile would have done the right thing. :D
 adamqd
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I think its terrible, not because I'm a KotOR/Revan fanboy, but because its bad writing and a bad use of a classic character. And I most certainly hate the idea that my character will surpass the emperor... I want to be a brick in the wall of a thriving, living universe, not a gary stu in a world of gary stu's with matching starships. There should be less emphasis on being the next badass, and more emphasis on making you unique in a vast universe.
 mimartin
12-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm uniquely badass. although lynk having seen me play will most likely correct me to uniquely dumbass.
 Shem
12-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Personally I would have preferred if BioWare would have just let Revan rest in peace. TOR is set 300 years later and even if Revan was force sensitive, his/her combat history would suggest his/her life span shouldn’t allow him/her to live so long. I would have been happy had Revan just been credited (along with the Exile) in delaying the Sith invasion for a few hundred years.
That's how I figured it would play out, or at least something like it. That would have been the smart thing to do. I mean, human beings don't live 300 years.

The fact that Revan was alive for 300 years just chilling in the Emperor's prison only to awaken during the period of The Old Republic is such an obvious attempt to draw yet moar subscribers and make moar $$$. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a business being a business, I'm just saying that it was a business decision first and staying within the realms of probability was second.
Exactly.
 Totenkopf
12-23-2011, 6:03 PM
I mean, human beings don't live 300 years.

Basically agree with most of what was said about it essentially being a sop to K1 fans, esp Revan fanboys, but would only point out that it would be possible to keep Revan alive for 300 years if in a form of suspended animation that dramatically slows down his metabolism, esp given that the Sith are supposed to be a technically advanced civilization.
 Darth Avlectus
12-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Very true. This has been a roller coaster of sorts for me. Initially against it. Then I had a small curiosity of Malgus. Then I learned of Revan's tie-in which, yes, drew my interest from disinterest. However there had to be more to it than just what happened to Revan and the Exile.

I wasn't sure what to make of the content of Revan, at first, but I am not going to deny that it probably is a reach out to grab as many KOTOR players as possible--I mean let's get real. Having seen the Revan spoilers I can honestly say that I'm indifferent about the whole thing.

My reasons for going into the MMO have changed with learning all this. It's due to my friends' interest which was my primary motivator to change my mind, and possibly for whomever else I might meet. The other aspect of it is that this game has removed us from a pivotal main role and relegated us once again to spectator. So in a way it's a sort of reprisal. I'm taking back my place in the Star Wars EU.

I have little doubts or illusions, though, that this is also a way to get my money. Therefore, other than social aspects I'm taking it casually. I'll enjoy my own story, exploring, mayhem, killing things and lighting stuff on fire.

I went big and got the collector's edition because I'm a collector and I figure IRL with everything changing that I'd want my last real big gaming exhibition for the foreseeable future to be a good one.
Page: 1 of 1