Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What to do if you're locked out at launch

Page: 1 of 1
 Jae Onasi
12-12-2011, 5:00 PM
OK, if anyone has been following the news, a lot of people who ordered physical copies (ALL CE orders and a lot of standard orders) are getting locked out on launch day. Why? EA decided not to have a grace period for a week or so after launch to allow time for those of us who ordered physical copies to receive them and input our keys. So, no game key on Dec. 20th? No gaming. Also, no swtor.com posting access. You have to have an active sub to post there.

If you ordered through Origin, you're theoretically fine. They announced day before yesterday that they're shipping out their products on Dec. 16th. EU customers are getting theirs starting the 15th. Sweden 'broke street date' and sent out a bunch really early.

Amazon customers--check your order today and see if you can upgrade to release-day shipping. I never had that option, and when I called customer service, they couldn't change it for me. I had to go to a supervisor to plead my case (I REALLY want to play on launch day with the rest of my family!!), and he told me that while he can't make any promises whatsoever, he's going to talk to the marketing department about it and try to make sure I can get in on the 20th.

So, if you have trouble, file a support ticket with your retailer. Calling them is even better.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-12-2011, 5:40 PM
Didn't you get a pre-order code for your CE purchase?
I received mine at pre-order, registered it to my SW:ToR account and received an email earlier this week for a game pre-load download link.

Took over 6 hours to download/install but my game is ready to launch (tomorrow in theory) unless the key you're talking about is something different than the product code? :confused:
 mimartin
12-12-2011, 5:49 PM
Yeah, ChAiNz, Jae is talking about something else. As of the last I heard, you need the product code, not the pre-order code to play after launch day. That code will be on the physical copy. So while you will be able to play from early access until launch date on the pre-order code as of December 20th you will be locked out until you get the product code.

Not that you would care with Skyrim setting on the computer. :)
 Mav
12-12-2011, 5:50 PM
Took over 6 hours to download/install but my game is ready to launch (tomorrow in theory) unless the key you're talking about is something different than the product code? :confused:Only 6 hours, I hate you Cz :¬: Also the product code Jae is talking about I believe is the code for the "free" 30 day subscription that comes with the purchase of the game, not the pre-order code that grants you early access. The problem is that EA sat on their warehouse's full of the Collector's Edition bundles, so not all retailers are promising their shipments will reach you on release date. Therefore, some folks will be stuck without access to the game in-between the end of Early-Access and the arrival of their CE bundles.

edit: mims beat me to it... curse you
 ChAiNz.2da
12-12-2011, 5:57 PM
aahh.. I see. Thanks guys (and Jae) ;)
Probably a non-issue for me, but that sux for those that planned ahead only to be kicked in the nethers.

Not that you would care with Skyrim setting on the computer.
Yeah, Skyrim's grip on me is tighter than an Asari's around a dancing pole :lol:

Only 6 hours, I hate you Cz :¬:

:lol: Yeah, but I was downloading at 2am... only creepers are up that late/early... oh wait.
 Jae Onasi
12-12-2011, 6:05 PM
Yep, I have my early access code in, and hope to be in game at 7am tomorrow morning. However, Amazon can't guarantee I'll get my physical copy until the 22nd. So, on the 20th when the game goes 'live', my access is cut off until I enter the game code that comes with the box. I can't even put a subscription in.

The customer service rep for amazon emailed me back and said he's going to try to talk to marketing and see what he can do, and he's going to phone me back when he gets an answer. I suspect a lot of folks have cancelled CE orders to go digital, and they're trying not to bleed out any more orders.

What really surprises me is that some people got the option for release-day shipping, but so many others didn't. I never was sent an email with that option, or I would have upgraded to that in an instant.

Also-I'd agree that this was likely a distribution CF on top of EA retracting the 'grace period' that Stephen Reid said back on Aug. 7th that we'd all have if we had put in a pre-order code.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-12-2011, 6:24 PM
Yeah, just checked my pre-order and they automatically switched my shipping to release-day. Not sure if it was because I had previously selected 1-day premium shipping though.
 Lynk Former
12-12-2011, 6:31 PM
It's going to take 3 to 4 weeks for my CE box to arrive down here in Australia... feelsbadman.jpg
 Jae Onasi
12-12-2011, 7:08 PM
Yeah, just checked my pre-order and they automatically switched my shipping to release-day. Not sure if it was because I had previously selected 1-day premium shipping though.
When I called them today to talk to them, they told me they couldn't upgrade mine to release-date because of limited stock.

Me: "What do you mean, limited stock? You've known about my order since July 21st at 9:55am. Please explain how you can't have my product when you've known about my order for 5 months."
 snommism
12-12-2011, 7:40 PM
Made me think of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T2GmGSNvaM)

I hope everyone is able to get it sorted :)
 ChAiNz.2da
12-12-2011, 7:47 PM
When I called them today to talk to them, they told me they couldn't upgrade mine to release-date because of limited stock.

Me: "What do you mean, limited stock? You've known about my order since July 21st at 9:55am. Please explain how you can't have my product when you've known about my order for 5 months."

Wow, that blows! I thought at first it may be due to the "first to order, first in line" deal.. but I ordered on the exact same date as you.

Glad you started to raise some hell. :D Hope it works out for you.
 DarthParametric
12-12-2011, 8:49 PM
Can't believe there won't be a grace period. And after Stephen Reid said there would be. A nice way to put the boot in to people that pre-ordered your game 6 months out (with no sign of a release date at the time).
 logan23
12-12-2011, 9:48 PM
I wonder what is the reason?
I'm sure there are some scams they are afraid of or there is a weak point for this.
 Lynk Former
12-12-2011, 10:00 PM
@ DarthParametric: I knew it was too good to be true... :\ but I'll live... I guess. I do have other games I need to catch up on and waiting 3-4 weeks for the game to arrive will give me the chance to get them out of the way...
 Jae Onasi
12-13-2011, 9:00 PM
Good news for Amazon customers:
(Linky) (http://www.amazon.com/Pre-order-Shipment-Clarification/forum/Fx2CV073IGYKIZE/Tx323SVRB68I71Y/1/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp)
Amazon Game Room says:
(AMAZON OFFICIAL)
Hello,

Here's an update for customers who have pre-ordered Star Wars: The Old Republic that was scheduled to be released on December 20, 2011. Because beta access ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 19, 2011, we've decided to ship the game early to customers starting December 15, 2011. We'll be updating orders over the next two days and new estimated delivery times will appear in Your Account shortly after our updates are complete. These changes will be applied to your account automatically and there is no action needed on your part. Please see below for an update to estimated delivery times based on shipment method.

New Estimated Delivery Times for the Contiguous US:

* Release Date Delivery - on or before 12/19/2011
* One-Day Delivery - on or before 12/19/2011
* Two-Day Delivery - on or before 12/19/2011
* Standard Shipping - on or before 12/24/2011
* Super Saver Shipping - on or before 12/24/2011

Orders shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and international addresses will also ship earlier than originally planned.

Once we've finished updating the orders, you'll be able to find your updated Estimated Delivery Time under "Your Orders" in Your Account:

http://www.amazon.com/your-account)

Since extremely limited quantities of the Collector's Edition are available, we recommend not canceling an order for this edition unless you do not intend to order it again. Please note that customers who cancel and attempt to re-order the Collector's Edition may lose their place in line.

Please note that official game access is scheduled to begin at 12:01 a.m. on December 20, 2011. BioWare will be bringing down all servers for a short period of time before the launch of the game. You will be contacted in-game with details on this planned outage and when you can expect all servers to be back online.

We appreciate your patience and hope you enjoy the game.

Amazon Video Game Editors
 FimmFingur
12-14-2011, 7:08 AM
I get to pick up my physical copy tomorrow. I can't wait!
 DarthParametric
12-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Gah. Friday afternoon and the postie has been and gone. And I got a package from eBay delivered this morning. No sign of TOR in either case. So it would seem Wednesday next week is the earliest it could arrive, given public holidays. I am seriously contemplating getting someone I know in the US to buy me a copy on Origin so I can get a serial right now and trying to palm off the boxed copy to someone when it eventually arrives.
 Lynk Former
12-23-2011, 2:53 AM
@ DP: I got my CE through GameStop and it arrived on Tuesday... was really surprised at how quick it got down here...
Page: 1 of 1