Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

RL Events - Will they ruin the Star Wars Experience?

Page: 1 of 1
 quickshot10101
12-05-2011, 8:03 PM
This came up on one of my posts/youtube, and thought it was a GREAT question, FEEDBACK PLEASE!

I wonder if they will release x-mas hats or something. Id say yes but so close to release they might be to busy. Is it wrong that I want my jedi knight to have a cute little hat ^_^ Actually now that I think of that they may never do that, as it would 'cloud' the hole star wars experience. hmmmm, will be interesting to see. Im not sure if I would want that now either.... Your thoughts? should they keep the world up to date with RL events like say wow and everquest and guild wars does. Or do you think they will avoid that stuff because of the whole star wars experience?
 Lynk Former
12-05-2011, 9:42 PM
Well...

Firstly, I'm Australian... and there is no Australian released date for TOR, so to get TOR I had to buy it online from GameStop since I wanted the collector's edition.

While I am going to get into the Early Access period, this happens only a few days my big math test which I have to get 80% or more correct otherwise you FAIL the math test.

Then I have to consider the fact that it's going to take quite awhile for the CE pack to actually arrive at my home in Australia since it's the whole Christmas period rush and then the postal service down here has a few days off after Christmas... which means that I'll end up not playing TOR for about (possibly) 2-3 weeks.

feelsbadman.jpg

*actually reads your post instead of just the thread title*

Oh... well... no, it'd be pretty lame to see santa hats and easter bunnies in Star Wars.

*looks around* What was I going on about? lol.
 Miltiades
12-06-2011, 8:38 AM
Star Wars Holiday Special: The Old Republic Edition!
 Lynk Former
12-06-2011, 8:40 AM
If anything the most we can expect are Christmas presents or whatever from the BioWare staff of semi-rare in-game items... that are NOT holiday themed.
 Tommycat
12-06-2011, 9:39 AM
Life Day: It's the Wookiee equivalent of Christmas. Every year in Galaxies they celebrated that. This isn't Galaxies, but I don't doubt they may do something similar.
 Lynk Former
12-06-2011, 9:45 AM
Didn't Galaxies have a really horrible holiday involving Ewoks?... I remember people saying it was like the worst thing ever. Though we don't have to worry about that in TOR since Endor (and it's forest moon) wasn't discovered yet in this time period.
 Tommycat
12-06-2011, 10:01 AM
yeah it's like the harvest moon festival or something like that. Happened around February.
 mimartin
12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Star Wars Holiday Special: The Old Republic Edition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXKySxPFCI)

They will have the Bee Arthur Cantina opened on Tatoonine, complete with song a dance. No strippers please.
 DarthParametric
12-06-2011, 10:56 AM
The devs said early on there would be no Life Day. Which in some ways is kind of a shame.

big math test which I have to get 80% or more correct otherwise you FAIL the math test.Pfff, excuses, excuses. Just cram the night before. That saw me through undergrad no problems. It's just a useless bit of paper anyway - you don't actually start doing anything of real-world merit until postgrad.

Then I have to consider the fact that it's going to take quite awhile for the CE pack to actually arrive at my home in Australia since it's the whole Christmas period rush and then the postal service down here has a few days off after Christmas... which means that I'll end up not playing TOR for about (possibly) 2-3 weeks.Still waiting for official confirmation, but on Twitter devs have said there will be a grace period for registered pre-orders. There is no indication how long, but with a release right on Xmas I would hope it would be at least 2-3 weeks.
 Lynk Former
12-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Pfff, excuses, excuses. Just cram the night before. That saw me through undergrad no problems. It's just a useless bit of paper anyway - you don't actually start doing anything of real-world merit until postgrad.
I'm doing a Bachelor of Education in Uni (future teacher, woot) and it requires you to do two math subjects. This math test that I mentioned is a killing blow to most people and from what I hear, a lot of uni students end up repeating this math test over and over and over again because they keep failing it... and you CANNOT become a teacher down here if you don't pass it since both math subjects are core units. The biggest problem I have is that I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at math... but awesome at web design XD

Still waiting for official confirmation, but on Twitter devs have said there will be a grace period for registered pre-orders. There is no indication how long, but with a release right on Xmas I would hope it would be at least 2-3 weeks.
If it happens as you say...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/lynk/obama_not_bad.png)
 Mav
12-06-2011, 2:44 PM
horrible holiday involving Ewoks?... I remember people saying it was like the worst thing ever. Though we don't have to worry about that in TOR since Endor (and it's forest moon) wasn't discovered yet in this time period.http://coversblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/starwars-ewokadventures.jpg)
 FimmFingur
12-07-2011, 7:28 AM
Although i enjoyed the little Christmas hats and stuff in World of Warcraft. I don't think its fitting to have it in TOR. Do they even have Christmas in the Star Wars universe?

I hope they don't put in silly things like that. Seeing The Empire celebrate Christmas would screw with my head. Could you imagine Dromund Kaas covered in Christmas lights?
 DarthParametric
12-07-2011, 8:14 AM
Do they even have Christmas in the Star Wars universe?Life Day - read the earlier posts and revel in this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s)

a lot of uni students end up repeating this math test over and over and over again because they keep failing it...Yeah, that speaks volumes to the state of teaching in this country.
 FimmFingur
12-07-2011, 9:50 AM
Ah maybe i should have read all the posts hehe.

This seems like a Republic only type of holiday.
I don't see how they could put it in the game and still keep the story in place (Empire side).
But maybe BIOWARE has put more thought into it.
 DarthParametric
12-07-2011, 10:17 AM
As I said earlier, the devs have already said there will no Life Day in TOR, nor any other real-world holiday equivalents.
 Miltiades
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I've always loved the holidays in Guild Wars, it always was quite cosy in Lion's Arch. :) But who knows, maybe they'll come up with something eventually...
 Mav
12-07-2011, 3:27 PM
There should definitely be something for my birthday :carms:
 mimartin
12-07-2011, 3:40 PM
There should definitely be something for my birthday :carms:
I'll hire the Twi'lek dancing girls.
 DarthParametric
12-07-2011, 10:43 PM
They have them ready to go in-game - appropriately attired and waiting to serve:

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/TOR_Twi27lek_Dancer_Outfit.jpg)

Although the game version has eyeballs...
 Lynk Former
12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Folks who ordered the CE version of TOR also get a holo twi'lek dancer :p

http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/HoloDancer1-500x432.jpg)
 Ztalker
12-08-2011, 9:00 AM
Folks who ordered the CE version of TOR also get a holo twi'lek dancer :p

http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/HoloDancer1-500x432.jpg)

Imagine the extremely obese stereotype Star Wars nerd out there...getting 'excited' about a bunch of pixels that is supposed to be a bunch of pixels showing a Twi'lek dancer. :xp:

OT:
In any case, I don't think RL events will ruin the SW experience. Even World of Warcraft tried to combine RL events with their own lore to some extend. Christmas was bad though...with raid bosses wearing christmas hats.
However, years pass in TOR. Iirc, there is a calendar similar to ours in the Old Republic at this point (looked it up, the time is ATC -after treaty of Coruscant, and a Coruscant year lasts 368 days), so hungover Sith Lords on January the first should be possible.

Christmas is more difficult though, considering the 'limbo' position of Life Day and the Holiday Special. This could be fixed in-game by making up an event though. Maybe Sith and Jedi sitting together at a battlefield during the war and enjoying a hot meal together and giving each other gifts (like in WW1).

I would loathe a quest where green wampa would steal christmas on Hoth...
Page: 1 of 1