Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

how do i add npcs in this game

Page: 1 of 1
 kolthor7
08-25-2011, 2:28 PM
what tools do i need and how do i add ythem
 Canaan Sadow
08-25-2011, 2:34 PM
You need KotOR tool to make the NPC's template. Then you need to know the coordinates you want the new npc to spawn, then you'll need to create a script in KotOR tool, clicking on the big Txt button, like this one

void main()
{
CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "creature_template", Location(Vector(0.00, 0.00, 0.00), 0.0));
}

Then save it as a file like "spawn_new_character.nss" (without the quotes, but you can name it whatever you like), set it as a script for K1 or K2 on the script function of the txt box. Then attatch the code to a dialogue file, or the more prefered method by allowing it to be an OnEnter script.
 kolthor7
08-25-2011, 2:45 PM
You need KotOR tool to make the NPC's template. Then you need to know the coordinates you want the new npc to spawn, then you'll need to create a script in KotOR tool, clicking on the big Txt button, like this one

void main()
{
CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "creature_template", Location(Vector(0.00, 0.00, 0.00), 0.0));
}

Then save it as a file like "spawn_new_character.nss" (without the quotes, but you can name it whatever you like), set it as a script for K1 or K2 on the script function of the txt box. Then attatch the code to a dialogue file, or the more prefered method by allowing it to be an OnEnter script.

can someone explain this in a noobish form, im new to this...
also can somone please show me how to work the kotor tool in teamviewer (a screen sharing program) itd be alot easier
 Canaan Sadow
08-25-2011, 2:58 PM
I'm not really sure how to get more noobish than this. But... I will show you through screenshots later, I don't like teamviewer personally, so screenshots will have to do, unless you can find someone else to do it for you.
 kolthor7
08-27-2011, 11:43 PM
when i say make it sound more nobish i meant more descriptive i have skype if anyone could please help me!
 harIII
08-28-2011, 9:20 AM
I made this tutorial specifically for people like you. Even though it spends very little time adding NPCs (characters in the game), it will teach you how to do everything from making your own modules (not modeling new ones), spawning characters, creating dialog, writing scripts, firing scripts, and I think making journal entries (I may be wrong). Basically it's what every young module editor needs to go through to get an idea on how to do things the right way and rig it to where it's sufficient. It will teach how you how to do all the mechanical stuff but depending on how much time you spend on your area(s) you can make them functional or elegant.

It's just a matter of getting down and dirty with the files...

-----EDIT-----
Oops, forgot to add the link to the tutorial. Here you go:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206101)
 kolthor7
08-28-2011, 7:38 PM
I made this tutorial specifically for people like you. Even though it spends very little time adding NPCs (characters in the game), it will teach you how to do everything from making your own modules (not modeling new ones), spawning characters, creating dialog, writing scripts, firing scripts, and I think making journal entries (I may be wrong). Basically it's what every young module editor needs to go through to get an idea on how to do things the right way and rig it to where it's sufficient. It will teach how you how to do all the mechanical stuff but depending on how much time you spend on your area(s) you can make them functional or elegant.

It's just a matter of getting down and dirty with the files...

-----EDIT-----
Oops, forgot to add the link to the tutorial. Here you go:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206101)

that is not what i want, i went to your links and all there is there are files, i dont want files i want tutorials, somone please help me.
 harIII
08-28-2011, 8:56 PM
There are several different downloads. One contains the files, I think they are source scripts that I've included and the others are video tutorials. Check them out, I promise you they will do exactly what you want.
 kolthor7
08-28-2011, 9:36 PM
There are several different downloads. One contains the files, I think they are source scripts that I've included and the others are video tutorials. Check them out, I promise you they will do exactly what you want.

k ty, but does this work with kotor#1 i noticed in your videos, they were for tsl.
 harIII
08-28-2011, 9:47 PM
Yeah, module editing for KOTOR is basically the same thing as editing TSL. Really the only difference are the models and a few additional script commands. It'll work for KOTOR.
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Yeah, module editing for KOTOR is basically the same thing as editing TSL. Really the only difference are the models and a few additional script commands. It'll work for KOTOR.

no, it doesnt work, because tsl used .mod for theyre modules and kotor1 used .rim, i tried it and it doesnt work, please help!
 harIII
08-29-2011, 8:02 AM
Both games use .rim as the format of their modules. If you save it in .mod it will do the same thing and will actually override a .rim should you use the same name. Trust me it will work, I modded KOTOR for many long months before I moved on to TSL, it will work, the process for both games is identical. Try going through the tutorial and ask a question AFTER you've tried it out.
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Both games use .rim as the format of their modules. If you save it in .mod it will do the same thing and will actually override a .rim should you use the same name. Trust me it will work, I modded KOTOR for many long months before I moved on to TSL, it will work, the process for both games is identical. Try going through the tutorial and ask a question AFTER you've tried it out.

well guess what, it didnt work.
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 11:05 AM

oh yea and, you shouldnt be such a smartass because i DID try it before commenting.
 moynal
08-29-2011, 12:30 PM
oh yea and, you shouldnt be such a smartass because i DID try it before commenting.

Stop being such a brat. You are not going to get help that way. You must have done something wrong because I can use that tutorial just fine and it wouldn't be there if it didn't work.
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 1:25 PM
Stop being such a brat. You are not going to get help that way. You must have done something wrong because I can use that tutorial just fine and it wouldn't be there if it didn't work.

when i make the .mod file i type in the cheat "Warp (Mapname)" and it just makes the game-script freeze.
what did i do wrong.
 Canaan Sadow
08-29-2011, 1:48 PM
well guess what, it didnt work.

Well guess what? I bet very few people are willing to help you now. :thmbup1: Way to make yourself look like a complete ass to the entire modding community, despite the fact that we're willing to help you.

And if you can't figure it out, you did something wrong, obviously so start over from the beginning.
 moynal
08-29-2011, 1:49 PM
Did you put the mod file in modules? that is what you have to do.

Edit: I mean .mod
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 2:01 PM
Did you put the mod file in modules? that is what you have to do.

Edit: I mean .mod

yup, i took Danm13.rim module, extracted the files, then made a new .mod file and named it mod01 saved it in modules, but i cant see it unless i go to erf editor in kotor tool.
 moynal
08-29-2011, 2:10 PM
Explain the steps you took in creating your module and I will try to see what went wrong.
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 2:17 PM
Explain the steps you took in creating your module and I will try to see what went wrong.

Steps i did in order;

open kotor tool
click on a .rim module (in my case Danm13.rim)
click extract for module editing
extract module to a blank folder.
open erf editor
select output file type "MOD"
select output file directory "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\modules"
click add files
select all files inside the blank folder with danm13.rim files
click build mod
click done
close out of kotor tool
restart star wars kotor 1
click new game
press ` or ~ and type warp mod01

then the game script just stops running in other words i can move but cant go anywhere or do anything.
 moynal
08-29-2011, 2:26 PM
what I meant before was that there is a modules folder in the game directory and you put your .mod file there and what do you mean that you cant go anywhere?
 kolthor7
08-29-2011, 2:28 PM
what I meant before was that there is a modules folder in the game directory and you put your .mod file there and what do you mean that you cant go anywhere?

yes here is a module folder and yes i put my .mod file there.
and i mean i cant go anywhere as in you cant do any actions cant talk to anyone cant open doors cant do anything but walk around and maybe mess around in the pause menus...
 moynal
08-29-2011, 2:32 PM
That is because it is the module without the utc's and all that other stuff you are just using the module and have to insert npc's yourself do you need help with putting an NPC in there. Plus the module itself is not connected to the other areas so you cant go to the courtyard or the hawk. Can't talk to NPC's because they are not in the module but are actually placed in there through the use of spawning.
 harIII
08-29-2011, 6:26 PM
When you do module editing you generally start off with a blank room. It's like moving into a new apartment, there's nothing in it. You have to go in and add all the doors, placeables, characters, triggers, waypoints, and scripts. It can be a mind numbing job but the rewards are well worth it.

---EDIT (FORGOT TO MENTION)---
Normally, at least for me anyways you want to work with your own module. If you want to edit an existing module so that you can say, make a new companion in the Dantooine Academy then you need to do something different. At the menu as you are extracting the files there is a pop up that asks what types of files you'd like to extract. You need to check off all of them and then build it.

Also in the future when you say it didn't work everybody here will think that the module crashed the game or something. Please be more specific about WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED. Also if I came off as hostile earlier, I didn't mean to. I'm just trying to help.
Page: 1 of 1