Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

what are the guidlines around porting?

Page: 1 of 1
 darth trea
05-21-2011, 8:49 PM
hey would taking the module from kotor 1 and moving it to kotor 2 AND THEN editing the module a little bit like changing the skin of the modules (or something like that) still be porting?

i am just wondering because no one realy says what porting REALY is because i want to have some sort of look into the future or flashback thing work but dont know if you can without porting

and no i dont want to port or have anyone else port and that is why i am asking
 JebusJM
05-21-2011, 9:02 PM
Porting is porting. You're still porting something from K1 to K2. Even if you do change it.
 darth trea
05-21-2011, 9:07 PM
ok good to know
 Rtas Vadum
05-21-2011, 9:08 PM
Porting, at least in this case, is taking assets from one game, and using them in another. The only case where this is okay, is where it was already done by Obsidian, where the files were left in because they had no reason to remodel/retexture or edit them in any way, or because they never took it out(ie, any models/textures, etc, that was used in K1, and was used again in k2 - such as the armor models).

Concerning the area models, there are a few that remain the same, while others do not exist within the files at all. Such as, the Korriban Academy was included, and added onto(the Library, which you couldn't enter in the first game), while the tomb interior modules, are not. The only Tomb module in the game, is the one used for Ludo Kressh's tomb.

To be safe, finding a suitable area in K2's files to reskin is your best bet, as even if you did port a model between games - the model formats are different, so it might not be properly understood by K2.
 darth trea
05-21-2011, 9:16 PM
ok so you couldnt copy the robes from kotor 2 and add them to kotor 1?
 Canderis
05-21-2011, 9:46 PM
No. That is still porting. Taking stuff from one game to another is porting.
 darth trea
05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
ok i think i got it
Page: 1 of 1