Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KoToR II - Wineskin - Mac OSX - TSL Patcher

Page: 1 of 1
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-07-2011, 7:42 PM
Hi, everybody. I am playing KoToR II on a Mac running Snow Leopard through wineskin. Now, somehow Wineskin runs more than a few .exe files to run KoToR. My question is such: I want to add mods that rely on the TSL Patcher to integrate themselves with the game. The TSL Patcher runs off of a .exe file, which I'm sure many of you know, Mac OSX can not run or utilize. How do I get the TSL patcher to run with my mod and successfully add it into the game?
 jonathan7
04-07-2011, 8:06 PM
It's a very specific question, and I'm afraid I can't actually be of much help, nor can I think of anyone or anywhere to suggest, this maybe a matter of trial and error on your part. Sorry I can't be of much more help!
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-07-2011, 9:28 PM
It's a very specific question, and I'm afraid I can't actually be of much help, nor can I think of anyone or anywhere to suggest, this maybe a matter of trial and error on your part. Sorry I can't be of much more help!

I couldn't help but notice in your signature you have "your mods" displayed. Are these mods you created? because force fashion is actually one of the mods I was intending to use here.
 jonathan7
04-07-2011, 9:38 PM
I couldn't help but notice in your signature you have "your mods" displayed. Are these mods you created? because force fashion is actually one of the mods I was intending to use here.

Yeah, all of those are my mods, hence the "my mods" ;) I'm also a member of staff over at KotOR Files as well as here. (Incidentally I'd recommend Force Fashion II over I, the second has various refinements). Alas, I can't help with the installation of Force Fashion (I or II) due to my unfamiliarity with the Mac, though you could install the Mod without running the patcher, you would just have to copy the "Override" folder into your directory and then rename various .2da file types with the word new. For example newappearance.2da would be rename to appearance.2da

However this could lead to mod incompatibility, when installing multiple mods, which is the main reason for using the patcher as it allows users to install multiple mods. However everything the patcher does can be done manually, (though it can take a lot longer). Though for example if you wanted Force Fashion and TSL:RCM I could send you the patched conflicting files...
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm really only using that mod with one other mod. Dak's Armored Robes II. Which also makes use of the patcher. I have a feeling these two would conflict, considering they are altering the same things within the game. I like mods that have a lot of content and install them directly into the game without making use of the cheat console. pcgamemods used to be the place to go for such things, I find that filefront is incredibly lacking in content. But I scoured the entire site and downloaded force fashion II and Dak's ARII. They seemed to be worth it.
 jonathan7
04-08-2011, 6:15 AM
I'm really only using that mod with one other mod. Dak's Armored Robes II. Which also makes use of the patcher. I have a feeling these two would conflict, considering they are altering the same things within the game. I like mods that have a lot of content and install them directly into the game without making use of the cheat console. pcgamemods used to be the place to go for such things, I find that filefront is incredibly lacking in content. But I scoured the entire site and downloaded force fashion II and Dak's ARII. They seemed to be worth it.

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure, but me and Dak do work closely togeather so I would actually imagine they would both pretty much compatible, with maybe one or two conflicting files, if you copy one Override folder into an other, which files bring an Overwrite error? (They would be the conflicting ones). You may find this thread interesting... http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196884) One last Mod I would highly recommend... http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;115177)
 doh123
04-09-2011, 8:01 PM
I do not know how the TSL patcher works... but I'd supposed it would be possible to get running under Wineskin. As being the foremost expert on all things Wineskin, I can try to help, I might just need more info on how the mods work. I have played kotor and kotor2 in Wineskin, but I've never tried modding anything.
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure, but me and Dak do work closely togeather so I would actually imagine they would both pretty much compatible, with maybe one or two conflicting files, if you copy one Override folder into an other, which files bring an Overwrite error? (They would be the conflicting ones). You may find this thread interesting... http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196884) One last Mod I would highly recommend... http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;115177)

Okay, so the conflicting files here are, A_Robe_71.uti, A_Robe_72.uti, A_Robe_73.uti, and appearance.2da. If you could send me the appropriate fixed files I would greatly appreciate this. I can pm you my email address though I believe it's listed on my profile.
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Okay, so the conflicting files here are, A_Robe_71.uti, A_Robe_72.uti, A_Robe_73.uti, and appearance.2da. If you could send me the appropriate fixed files I would greatly appreciate this. I can pm you my email address though I believe it's listed on my profile.

I just recently tried to put in the force fashion II without the patcher, without both mods in place at once(Dak's Armored Robes) and it still did not want to function for me. I believe Dak's may work regardless. I have yet to try it though.
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I do not know how the TSL patcher works... but I'd supposed it would be possible to get running under Wineskin. As being the foremost expert on all things Wineskin, I can try to help, I might just need more info on how the mods work. I have played kotor and kotor2 in Wineskin, but I've never tried modding anything.

The TSL patcher is a .exe file that runs with the updating system that comes with the game, to ensure all of the mods work properly. If you don't use it, things can go awry pretty quickly. Like for instance, a footlocker that was only meant to be found on the harbinger is now an object that can be found all over the game. I need to get that program running through wine, because it will not run through windows.
 doh123
04-10-2011, 1:06 PM
The TSL patcher is a .exe file that runs with the updating system that comes with the game, to ensure all of the mods work properly. If you don't use it, things can go awry pretty quickly. Like for instance, a footlocker that was only meant to be found on the harbinger is now an object that can be found all over the game. I need to get that program running through wine, because it will not run through windows.

Does it launch the game? I don't see why it wouldn't work, depending on how its programmed. You can probably set up a custom exe launcher in Wineskin for just that one exe to run... or temporarily set the main exe over to that if its something only needed once. If its not actually running or working that way, you can set it to run it, and do a test run that gives logs, and I may be able to figure out why its having problems.
 Bullobrien
04-13-2011, 7:30 PM
Hi, everybody. I am playing KoToR II on a Mac running Snow Leopard through wineskin. Now, somehow Wineskin runs more than a few .exe files to run KoToR. My question is such: I want to add mods that rely on the TSL Patcher to integrate themselves with the game. The TSL Patcher runs off of a .exe file, which I'm sure many of you know, Mac OSX can not run or utilize. How do I get the TSL patcher to run with my mod and successfully add it into the game?

I have been able to do this a few different ways.

1. I downloaded VirtualBox and installed windows 7 on it and that runs the patcher, Kotor tools, save game editor, etc pretty nicely. Sometimes requires some work to get the directories set up since TSL is not really installed on the Virtual box like it would be on a pc. I have the VB set up to access my Mac HD as a network drive and have an alias to the SWKOTOR2 folder from inside the package so that I can easily access the files.

2. I found a app called Winloader which I think is a prefab wine or cyder product which seems to run the patcher most of the time correctly. When you open it, it just shows you your mac's file structure in a windows-explorer like enironment. Navigate to the TSLpatcher.exe file, run it and then tell it where your SWKOTOR folder is. When it works it is actually simpler because it does not require a windows install. I have had a few cases where it did not work. No idea why. This does not seem to work for Kotor Tools, KSE etc. The bad news is I have no idea where I got this little piece of software.

3 I tried making a custom wrapper and had some success but I am not really clear on what I did that worked and did not work or why. I am just not familiar enough with how that stuff works... Frankly if Doh123 is answering in this thread anything I would say about wine would be fluff at best. (Thank again Doh for your STO wrapper)

Hope this helps
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-13-2011, 8:24 PM
Does it launch the game? I don't see why it wouldn't work, depending on how its programmed. You can probably set up a custom exe launcher in Wineskin for just that one exe to run... or temporarily set the main exe over to that if its something only needed once. If its not actually running or working that way, you can set it to run it, and do a test run that gives logs, and I may be able to figure out why its having problems.

Wineskin will not load the .exe because of the kind of file type is in it. Something to do with a self-extracting variant
 jonathan7
04-13-2011, 8:48 PM

I just recently tried to put in the force fashion II without the patcher, without both mods in place at once(Dak's Armored Robes) and it still did not want to function for me. I believe Dak's may work regardless. I have yet to try it though.

Sorry for slow reply I hadn't realised you had replied. Hmmm, I wasn't expecting the cross over the be quite like that, the appearance.2da is the most complicated to fix, (and what the patcher is most useful for patching). I'll send a PM to Dak about this thread and will see if we can come up with a patch together to get it working. The biggest concern is why Force Fashion II is not working, are the Robe textures not applying if you start a new game on Peragus is a new cylinder called "Patient Affects" spawned in the morgue?
 doh123
04-14-2011, 6:46 PM
Wineskin shouldn't have any trouble with a self extractor... If you run from the Installer, or do a Test Run, you should be able to go to Advanced->Tools and view last log files, and the Wine log could possibly tell us what its having a problem with.

but worse case if this is just mods that need a 1 time install, you can do it on Windows then manually move the game from Windows over into the wrapper and still play.
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-14-2011, 7:12 PM
Sorry for slow reply I hadn't realised you had replied. Hmmm, I wasn't expecting the cross over the be quite like that, the appearance.2da is the most complicated to fix, (and what the patcher is most useful for patching). I'll send a PM to Dak about this thread and will see if we can come up with a patch together to get it working. The biggest concern is why Force Fashion II is not working, are the Robe textures not applying if you start a new game on Peragus is a new cylinder called "Patient Affects" spawned in the morgue?

I got force fashion II working within reason, but Dak's would not work at all. The only thing about force fashion that did not work were the Jedi Master Robes. Vrook, Kavar, Zez-Kai Ell, and vash's robes never appeared in game. They never wore them. The patient affects cylinder is in game. Dak's seemed to cause the most issues. Together, it was horrendous. Let me know how that develops. I will continue working with Doh to see if we can get a working edition of the patcher on mac.
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-14-2011, 7:15 PM
Wineskin shouldn't have any trouble with a self extractor... If you run from the Installer, or do a Test Run, you should be able to go to Advanced->Tools and view last log files, and the Wine log could possibly tell us what its having a problem with.

but worse case if this is just mods that need a 1 time install, you can do it on Windows then manually move the game from Windows over into the wrapper and still play.

I do not have any way of doing it on windows, as I do not own anything but a macintosh, and I don't use bootcamp. However, If you give me step by step instructions on how to make a wrapper for the patcher that works, or if you can make one yourself and make it available for download, it could not only help me but others in the future.
 jonathan7
04-14-2011, 7:19 PM
I got force fashion II working within reason, but Dak's would not work at all. The only thing about force fashion that did not work were the Jedi Master Robes. Vrook, Kavar, Zez-Kai Ell, and vash's robes never appeared in game. They never wore them. The patient affects cylinder is in game. Dak's seemed to cause the most issues. Together, it was horrendous. Let me know how that develops. I will continue working with Doh to see if we can get a working edition of the patcher on mac.

That sounds as if the appearance.2da is not working, can you check that its in the Override folder?
 Axx_StarScreamer
04-14-2011, 8:54 PM
That sounds as if the appearance.2da is not working, can you check that its in the Override folder?

it's in there. I renamed it newappearance.2da as you suggested
 stoffe
04-15-2011, 1:59 AM
Does it (TSLPatcher) launch the game? I don't see why it wouldn't work, depending on how its programmed.

You don't need to run TSLPatcher to run the game, it's just an installer for mods. All it does is to modify game data files (or put new ones in their proper locations, depending on how it's set up) to make it easier to apply more than one mod that alters the same data files. So you only need to run it once to apply the mod, and then you run the game normally.
 jonathan7
04-15-2011, 3:21 AM
it's in there. I renamed it newappearance.2da as you suggested

Ah, thats the issue, I meant the reverse, there should be a file called "newappearance.2da" that needs to be called "appearance.2da".
Page: 1 of 1