Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Having trouble getting TPM to work XP and Vista

Page: 1 of 1
 florida
03-26-2011, 7:48 AM
Hi everyone

TPM is such a great game and I remember playing it for hours when I was younger.

I'm trying to get it to work on my current PC, which is four years old and uses XP. I remember I've played it on here perfectly before, but now it doesn't work properly. It installs and starts ok, but when I start the actual game, the frame rate is pretty low (even with all graphics options at the lowest) and after a couple of minutes parts of the game go black, and then the whole screen, though it still plays sounds and the menu will come up.

Could this be something to do with my drivers?

Also, how do get the game to even install on Vista?

Thanks a lot!
 Alexrd
03-26-2011, 9:26 AM
What error does it get on Vista? Do you have any applications running while playing the game on your XP PC?

Can your post your system specs?
 florida
03-26-2011, 10:40 AM
On Vista (a brand new laptop of my parents'), when you try to install it says something close to 'Cannot launch setup. Launch setup.exe directly from the CD'

Trying that, it then says that it's not compatible with that version of windows.

My PC (bought 2007):
Pentium D
3 ghz
1 gb RAM
Nvidia Geforce 210
Lots of memory

As I say, when I last played it, probably a couple of years ago, it worked fine. I replaced my graphics card last year and this is the first time I've tried TPM since then, so that might have something to do with it.

I try not to have any applications running whilst playing. I've tried doing a clean reboot, but it's still the same.

I've also tried compatibility mode, but that makes it even worse. It loads the first level, then the intro video comes up. Skipping that, there's that 'bleep' and I minimise to find an error message on the desktop saying 'WMAIN.EXE could not load on a non Windows NT system. Performance Monitor Extension DLL for CLR. This can only be used on Windows NT'

Any other info you want? Any ideas?

Thanks for the reply!
 Alexrd
03-27-2011, 8:36 AM
Install the 1.1 patch.

And put compatibility mode on Windows 98 (if it doesn't work, try NT).
 florida
03-27-2011, 9:39 AM
Tried that.

It's the same problem. Game starts up and I can start playing the first level. Frame rate it ok sometimes, really choppy sometimes.

After two or three minutes the screen goes black, but I can still move and fight (I can tell from the sounds). When I press esc to bring the menu up all there is no writing on any of the buttons, so I have to ctrl alt del to escape.

Thanks for the idea. Someone else suggested it might be my direct x. I've got verion 9.0c. Would this have anything to do with it?
 Alexrd
03-27-2011, 12:47 PM
 florida
03-27-2011, 4:39 PM
Tried that before I think, didn't seem to have any effect. Might have another go.
 florida
03-28-2011, 6:51 PM
Don't worry - I've got it to work!

All I needed to do was update my drivers!

Thanks for the help anyway guys!
 Alexrd
03-28-2011, 8:02 PM
Oh, since you mentioned your drivers, I thought you had already updated them. Anyway, I'm glad you got it to work. Now go get some screenshots to post on the "Levels and locations" thread... :D
 bulsey86
06-27-2011, 5:48 PM
I hope this is relevant or at least helps some people out who are trying to run TPM on a new 64-bit operating system.

First, install the game on a 32-bit OS [I installed Win 98 on VMWare Player]. When completed, copy the entire contents of the game directory to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\The Phantom Menace' [Where C is your Windows hard drive]

Copy the entire contents of the reg file below [including 'Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00] into Notepad and save file as Phantom.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\The Phantom Menace]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\The Phantom Menace\v1.0]
"Executable"="C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\The Phantom Menace\\WMAIN.EXE"
"Install Path"="C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\The Phantom Menace"
"Source Path"="Z:"
"CD Path"="Z:"
"Analyze Path"="Z:\INSTALL\SysCheck.exe"
"Source Dir"="Z:"
"InstallType"=dword:00000001
"JoystickID"="1"
"SoundCard"="TRUE"

Change 'Z' to whatever letter your CD-ROM drive is.

Merge the file once saved (right click the file to bring up the option). You can now run TPM.exe

Hope this helps :)

(source: http://omnicoderdotnet.blogspot.com/2011/01/windows-98.html)
 Mezikus
03-22-2013, 4:04 PM
Huhh...I have problem in the end of level Corustant. Captain Panaka in last moment when go with Amidala on senate chamber stil walking on one place....no coming video sequence...its bug ?? How can i repair it ??
 Alexrd
03-22-2013, 4:58 PM
Huhh...I have problem in the end of level Corustant. Captain Panaka in last moment when go with Amidala on senate chamber stil walking on one place....no coming video sequence...its bug ?? How can i repair it ??

Have you tried to replay the level (or that sequence)?
Page: 1 of 1