Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TPM for Windows 7

Page: 1 of 1
 Landmaster13
06-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I was just wondering if TPM would work on a Windows 7 computer. When I tried to install it i recieved an error message saying something along the lines of "this application is not designed for this system", or whatever. If anyone needs extra information, just ask.
 Alexrd
06-29-2010, 2:36 PM
Well, all I can say is it works on Vista. I find it very strange having an error on 7.
 Wildstar
06-29-2010, 6:38 PM
Landmaster, if the installer is comparable to that of X-Wing Alliance, which came out around the same time, I gather that it'll install fine on the 32-bit version of Win7, but you'll have problems with the 64-bit version.
 Alfa_One
07-02-2010, 9:03 AM
I agree with Alex, this game in Windows Vista works fine so It must work in Windows 7. Anyways you can try to use a "Windows XP emulator" where TMP always works, Im in the know that there are several emulators, you can use a "Win 98 Emulator" too, but emulating XP looks better.

If you need a link, reply this post asking.
 Landmaster13
07-05-2010, 1:06 AM
Ok, thanks for the help, but I was wondering if I could have a link? Thanks. And yeah, it's the 64 version.
 Alfa_One
07-05-2010, 7:22 AM
Well, you only need a virtual machine for emulating Windows XP. The best way is a program called VirtualBox, here you have a link to download it:

- http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)

Use the first link in that page for computers with x86 architecture and Windows 32 bits/64 bits. (VirtualBox 3.2.6 for Windows hosts x86/amd64). If you dont know how to use it ask in this thread and I will answer you.

Also you need a Windows XP CD or Image to install it in the virtual machine.
 Landmaster13
07-07-2010, 11:30 PM
http://lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=645&pictureid=6952)

I'm getting this error when I use the CD for windows vista. Any idea what's wrong? Also, I'm using vista 'cause it's the easiest one for me to get ahold of and TPM works on it...
 Alfa_One
07-08-2010, 7:41 AM
What error?. This?: "this application is not designed for this system" what you said in the first post?. Are you using another partition or are you using the Virtual Machine?.
 Landmaster13
07-08-2010, 7:25 PM
Sorry, i forgot to provide an image. This is the exact wording of the message:
"the exception unknown software exception(0xe0000100)occurred in the application at location 0x76fcb09e".

This could be because i'm using a vista disc that has been used before. Should I just get another disc?
 Alfa_One
07-14-2010, 4:30 AM
So when you try to install Windows Vista in the virtual machine you get that error. It's very difficult to know what happend, usually that kind of messages are useless.

You can use your Windows Vista disc always and install it again, and again, and again without problems, the activation of the product is another ball game...

I think that you could check the disc and see if it's in good conditions, that's the key, If not, look for another one.
 Landmaster13
07-24-2010, 6:02 AM
Right, I'll give it a check and post if i find anything specific.
 bulsey86
06-27-2011, 6:11 PM
Hi all. Maybe a bit of a late reply.

It you get a reply saying the software is not designed for the OS it is most likely because your version of Win 7 is 64 bit.

I stupidly overlooked this thread (duh) and have posted a workaround in the 'Having trouble getting TPM to work XP and Vista' thread.

Worked perfectly for me, hope it does for anyone else with the same problem :)
 Landmaster13
07-04-2011, 4:37 PM
Hey Bulsey, sorry THIS reply took so long as well.

I'm gonna give this way a go tonight and edit this post to say how well it went, so thanks again!
 Alexrd
07-05-2011, 4:26 PM
Ok, I've moved to Windows 7 and now TPM runs at 4:3, even with a 1024x768 resolution. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'll be greatly appreciated.
 bulsey86
07-10-2011, 5:47 AM
Ok, I've moved to Windows 7 and now TPM runs at 4:3, even with a 1024x768 resolution. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, I'll be greatly appreciated.

1024x768 is 4:3 though?

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace shadows and blaster marks. I also have occasional problems with background music stuttering. The only workaround so far is to pause the game and swap between Miles 2D audio and one other until it stops. I will post of I find better solutions, hopefully that will be the case!
 Landmaster13
07-31-2011, 6:15 AM
Thanks Bulsey, it seems to work now, although I have only tested the main menu and not the actual game. Thanks anyways!

EDIT:

I tried the game out. Apart from some slightly low quality text on the pause menu small print the game runs flawlessly, with some graphical changes compared to the previous pc, such as draw distance fading instead of cutting off angularly, footprints and ripples in water. HAWT.
 bulsey86
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks Bulsey, it seems to work now, although I have only tested the main menu and not the actual game. Thanks anyways!

EDIT:

I tried the game out. Apart from some slightly low quality text on the pause menu small print the game runs flawlessly, with some graphical changes compared to the previous pc, such as draw distance fading instead of cutting off angularly, footprints and ripples in water. HAWT.

Excellent, glad the solution worked for you as well.

I've been trying to solve the graphical issues in 7 but I can't get anywhere. I've attempted to run it with a wrapper to emulate older video hardware but it can never recognise it. I'm still working on it occasionally so if I find a solution I'll post it :)
 Alexrd
08-11-2011, 2:04 PM
1024x768 is 4:3 though?

Sorry. Meant 1280x800.

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace shadows and blaster marks. I also have occasional problems with background music stuttering. The only workaround so far is to pause the game and swap between Miles 2D audio and one other until it stops. I will post of I find better solutions, hopefully that will be the case!

Same here. For the audio stuttering, you only need to select the same (or another) audio for it to stop for a while. There is no specific audio to choose.
 jeza123c
10-15-2011, 3:31 PM
Hey guys

I've been wanting to play this for past 5 years kept failing in trying as loved it when it worked I have vista 64 and cannot install from cd . I cant to the work around for one reason, my other comps at home are win7 and mac so i cannot install and copy the directory over, is there anyway someone can upload the folder & send it to me?

I have proof that i have a copy of the game if that helps, just signed up here to give it a shot.

Thanks Jeza
Page: 1 of 1