Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reskinning Modules Questions and Request

Page: 1 of 1
 Drewton
03-18-2010, 11:25 AM
This is very possible a stupid question, but I've looked around the forums and couldn't find an answer.

Would it be possible to change which textures are assigned to different individual parts of already-existing areas? I've been reskinning modules just without changing what any part is "assigned to", and the results have been quite frustrating. I've had to make some parts look worse in order to make other parts using the same textures better. I'd like to have some more variation and this would be a big improvement. Just to clarify, I do not want to make new areas with pre-existing modules.

And also: is it possible adding new FX "locations" like for fire to an already-existing module, and to make new FX?

For the request: any help with re-UV-mapping character models (for The Sith Lords Massive Improvement Mod) would be greatly appreciated. If you're able to do and would be interested, please send me a message.

Thanks for any help in advance.
 newbiemodder
03-18-2010, 2:13 PM
It all depends on the model and how many objects a particular texture is applied and how those objects are layed out in the model. The only way to know is to load the particular room model into gmax and see how the objects and the shapes are connected.

One texture could be applied to multiple separate objects..in those cases you can hex-edit and apply a different texture to each instance to replace the one all-encompassing texture. In some models though, the texture is applied to an object, but that one object is spread all over the room..like part of a wall or part of a floor, pillar, or vent. In those cases hex-editing won't help.
 Darth InSidious
03-18-2010, 2:23 PM
To your first question, Drewton, I would say not, unfortunately. That would require re-mapping the texture application in 3ds/GMax and re-exporting, which would almost certainly screw up the area models, I'm afraid.

You might be able to achieve something by hex-editing, but I wouldn't know where to begin making suggestions, really.

Possibly if you altered the instances where the same texture-reference appear you might get somewhere. But you'd be flying blind, effectively, since you wouldn't be able to tell which references you were altering from the hex-editor itself.
 Quanon
03-18-2010, 3:17 PM
To your first question, Drewton, I would say not, unfortunately. That would require re-mapping the texture application in 3ds/GMax and re-exporting, which would almost certainly screw up the area models, I'm afraid.

I'm afraid Darthy is correct. So far the tools we have are good to make new areas. But editing them... certain info gets lost when extracting and compiling etc... So you break stuff, instead off fixing and all. :(

Though, like suggested above, you could do more precise Hex editing. But that'll be time consuming. Tricky aswell to keep an oversight of what you're busy with.

I'm not sure how fast Magnuss will continue work on Kaurora. You can load Binary models, but you can't make them ASCII, to then import into 3Ds Max, for example.

Worse is the export from NWmax might then break things o_O
 Drewton
03-18-2010, 8:33 PM
That's unfortunate, but thanks for the replies. Renaming a texture used for multiple things through hex editing might be good enough. If it isn't, I still might try hex editing it to be separate textures. That would be flying blind, as InSidious said, but I've done that with testing before.

Judging by the difficulties shown and the way I'd have to add them, I assume adding new effects "locations" to modules would be a "no" as well then.
 Darth InSidious
03-18-2010, 8:41 PM
To my knowledge, effects are fairly hard-coded. New beams, for certain, aren't possible. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'FX locations', though. I assume you mean things like the Dxun Temple's big, glowing red ball/red lightning during the ritual?
Page: 1 of 1