Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New to this site and mods.. Please advice

Page: 1 of 1
 bearcray
01-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Hi all,

THis is my first time here and I have been looking for major mods that expands content,storyline,enemies,map etc.. to the game.

I checked the "Taris Upper City Emporium" and saw so many mods. Since I don't have all the time I need to play each mod, I want to ask if any experienced mod players can recommend any extensive mods that have great receptions to me?

Also can anyone recommend any supporting mods that make the game more fun/challengin?

Noobie question: what is the difference b/w KOTOR and TSL?

Thanks very much
Any input is greatly appreciated
 Tobias Reiper
01-09-2010, 12:58 AM
For expansions?
Definitely recommend Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge.
Also: The difference is everything. It's a different story with different characters, different time setting, different music, different - you know, I think you get the picture.
 Canderis
01-09-2010, 2:08 AM
A different game.

Also check the sticky thread on this topic.
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=196884)
 vanir
01-09-2010, 3:13 AM
I think I know where you're coming from: you're thinking of the kind of post release support NWN gets with full module expansions, custom content and conversion mods.

Kotor (licensed to BioWare) and TSL (the sequel, licensed to Obsidian), do use the same engine as Neverwinter Nights (NWN) but they are a different kettle of fish in terms of hard coding and all available modding tools have been produced by the community.

Because LucasArts maintains intellectual property rights, it licenses out manufacture of its games to other companies like BioWare and Obsidian. This means those companies are prevented from offering post release support and expansions by copyright issues (except for bug fixes). And LucasArts isn't in a position to because they have nothing to do with programming the games.

So all modding for the Kotor games (K1 and TSL) is unsupported by LucasArts or BioWare and Obsidian, and are personal projects by the mod community. They are not really open code programs so modding them isn't easy, but it is helped a little bit by using the NWN engine (this makes scripting and the creation of mod tools easier for example).

Therefore most mods are to tailor the visual aspects of the game (model skinning and minor gameplay enhancements), but more extensive projects like storyline expansions or complete game conversions and new modules, with new characters and plot elements, are very difficult, time consuming and testament to the determination of individual modders/programmers.

There aren't many of them, not much in the way of really good ones and the games aren't really set up for it. There are a lot of ambitious projects which never get completed.

Neverwinter Nights by comparison, is designed specifically for this, and several complete conversions are available for post-release purchase from the manufacturer (Shadows of Undrentide, etc.), as expansion kits. It comes with a complete modding toolkit so that you can make your own modules and conversions quite easily, with virtually no previous programming skill.
Kotor/TSL aren't like that, but the sentiment exists among the mod community.

That all said, check out the link in the post above.
 jonathan7
01-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the forums! :thmbup1:

There are, I'm afraid, already pre-existing threads about recommending mods above, so I'm afraid this is going to have to be closed; please check the supplied links. -- j7
Page: 1 of 1