Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What holiday do you celebrate?

Page: 1 of 2
 Jae Onasi
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Which holiday do you celebrate? Christmas? Hanukkah? Winter Solstice? Something else? Share your answer and some of your favorite holiday traditions here! You may choose more than one holiday--some people celebrate a couple.
 Sabretooth
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
The celebrate the reverse-anniversary of the 2012 apocalypse, can we add that to the options please? Thanks.
 mimartin
12-09-2009, 1:23 PM
 Hallucination
12-09-2009, 2:08 PM
I'll let Zach Weiner take this one:
http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20070927.gif)
 Pho3nix
12-09-2009, 2:24 PM
Festivus.
 Trench
12-09-2009, 3:52 PM
Christmas. :D And just for the heck of it, I voted Yoda as well. :xp:
 swphreak
12-09-2009, 4:10 PM
I celebrate Presents Day.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-09-2009, 4:55 PM
I celebrate Presents Day.

quotin this
 jrrtoken
12-09-2009, 6:55 PM
Lucifermas
 Q
12-10-2009, 12:40 AM
^Haha. Antichristmas.
 Darth Avlectus
12-10-2009, 4:19 AM
I pretty much celebrate most anything if invited. Primarily Christmas, happy new year.

Oh and it's spelled "Chaunikka" wrong! :¬:
...Well, not that I'm uptight about it. Have celebrated this with the jewish part of my family.

Yoda just because it's there.

I used to celebrate antichrist-mas. That was a long time ago.

Winter Solstice is one I celebrate beause it is universally recognized and it is in this common sharing that I believe the human race can finally unite. If nothing else I like to think of the beginning of every season and solstice as a celebration.

I have never celebrated an Islamic holiday nor do I know any. Though I do have one persian friend, an old man who immigrated here to USA decades ago for his freedom to see his ailing mother enjoy them for herself. I don't remember what he said exactly but the English translation of a prayer on his wall was something to the order of "Under the blessing of God, may this home be peaceful and here the family safely preside." So whatever he celebrates alongside all other holidys in this country I hope his is just as merry as Christmas is to Christians, and as well off as Chaunikka for the Jews.

Other b/c every day should be counted as a blessing, anyways.
 mimartin
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I am truly offended that the author of this poll did not include the most celebrated and cherished moment of the season. January 7th the National Championship game. It must be bias showing since that Ohio State team is regulated to lesser status of playing a warm up game in Pasadena.
 Jae Onasi
12-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Hanukkah/Chanukah is a word transliterated from Hebrew, and both Romanized spellings are considered acceptable. :)

The Rose Bowl Parade and Rose Bowl on Jan 1. is much better than whatever they have (if anything) for that silly little game that's not good enough to be shown on Jan 1st.
 Ping
12-10-2009, 4:39 PM
I celebrate Christmas, and Chinese New Year, though I think the latter is still a couple months away. Unfortunate thing is, my parents are making me go to church on Christmas Eve. I know we're just going to sing Christmas carols, but....just, ugh.
 Samnmax221
12-12-2009, 3:40 AM
Can't put Christ back in a holiday he wasn't in in the first place.
 purifier
12-12-2009, 4:20 AM
I celebrate "Gift-Giving Day"

Which for some odd reason is on the 25th of Dec. :raise:
 urluckyday
12-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Christmas...agh...I can't wait until Christmas...
 GeneralPloKoon
12-12-2009, 6:48 PM
Christmas to the max!
 Tobias Reiper
12-13-2009, 2:11 AM
Well, I'm an Atheist, so I vote for...
CHRISTMAS!
Why?
BECAUSE CHRISTMAS IS AWESOME.
Plus, I've not met one family, NOT ONE, that mentioned or even thought of Jesus during Christmas. It's all this Santa Claus stuff instead, and why not?
 Ser'eck
12-13-2009, 4:28 AM
I celebrate Christmas, but I do respect the other holidays.
 Samnmax221
12-13-2009, 1:09 PM
 Darth Eclipse
12-13-2009, 5:02 PM
Christmas.
 Darth InSidious
12-13-2009, 5:35 PM
Can't put Christ back in a holiday he wasn't in in the first place.

Your poor history amuses me.
 jawathehutt
12-13-2009, 5:46 PM
I celebrate the not religious parts of Christmas and the pastafarian holiday known as a holiday
 Mandalore The Shadow
12-13-2009, 6:06 PM

Jesus was born in September they decided the date of that holiday to get the roman pagans to convert and I'm a pagan so I celebrate the winter solstice.
 Darth InSidious
12-13-2009, 6:29 PM
Jesus was born in September they decided the date of that holiday to get the roman pagans to convert and I'm a pagan so I celebrate the winter solstice.

Mmm, no.

It was more likely chosen since it was nine months after the feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25th. This in turn was probably calculated by using the references to Zechariah being in the Holy of Holies (Luke 1:8-25) - which would have happened at the Feast of Tabernacles. Jesus, Luke's Gospel also claims, was conceived in the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy (Luke 1:26), placing his conception around the spring equinox.

See also: "De solstitiia", "De Trinitate" IV,5.
 Hawkstrong16
12-13-2009, 6:49 PM
Christmas.

I was gonna vote Yoda to but I forgot to hit it :( lol
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-13-2009, 7:11 PM
I remember Jesus all the time, Christmas is nothing more to me than Presents Day.

As to the pagan stuff: the rest of the world messes up everything of ours (Christians), so why not commandeer their pagan festival? :^:
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-13-2009, 11:49 PM
can't you just drink until you don't care about that **** anymore like a normal person it's christmas
 purifier
12-14-2009, 1:43 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets on who gets snipped by moderators first, Samnmax supporters raise your Salman Rushdie books, Darathy supporters raise your crosses, let's make some money out of this, people! o_Q

*purifier eagerly counts his money*

Wait a minute.......what's the odds? :raise:
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-14-2009, 2:54 AM
Last time I checked you guys commandeered a Jewish thing, which they'd commandeered from the Canaanites.

:shades2:

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets on who gets snipped by moderators first, Samnmax supporters raise your Salman Rushdie books, Darathy supporters raise your crosses, let's make some money out of this, people!

50 on Samnmax.

I personally don't fancy my posts being meddled with, so i keep garlic on-topic material in them to ward off moderators:
http://a2.vox.com/6a00bf76d0a9b7438300e398d7c1f20004-500pi)
 True_Avery
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
My family celebrates Christmas and Chaunikka, and a few other things throughout the year. We just adopted a few holidays into our yearly routine to better understand other religions and kind of use them as an educational experience. Doesn't hurt that a lot of Jewish holdays are pretty fun and usually involve food.

Speaking of Chaunikka:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/rooney/jg/14644-ep005)

http://www.history.com/content/christmas/the-real-story-of-christmas/)
 Astor
12-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I voted 'humbug' because i'm not really into christmas at all, but I regret not voting QISmaS after seeing that no-one voted for it. :p
 CommanderQ
12-14-2009, 3:29 PM
I celebrate Christmas the Christian way...though I'd agree with JIGOS, I try to celebrate Christ everyday, Christmas just has presents along with it :D

I voted 'humbug'

You will be visited by 3 spirits...*continues tale* :D
 Alkonium
12-14-2009, 3:42 PM
I celebrate Christmas in a completely secular way. Also, even though it's a month later, does Winter-een-mas count?
 Darth Avlectus
12-14-2009, 3:54 PM
Ohh, yeah--I also celebrate itchy and scratchy day, happy new year, and I guees a new one: cut down this 10 foot tall snowman some douchebags decided to make in the MIDDLE of one of my snow clearing accounts' driveways. I hate it when people do this crap--all it leaves is an intrusive mess to clean up. Now if you'll excuse me...

*Whips out Samurai Sword*
 Mandalore The Shadow
12-14-2009, 6:21 PM
Mmm, no.

It was more likely chosen since it was nine months after the feast of the Annunciation, which falls on March 25th. This in turn was probably calculated by using the references to Zechariah being in the Holy of Holies (Luke 1:8-25) - which would have happened at the Feast of Tabernacles. Jesus, Luke's Gospel also claims, was conceived in the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy (Luke 1:26), placing his conception around the spring equinox.

Still to my credit here is some simple math: Jesus = not born in December
 Jae Onasi
12-14-2009, 7:12 PM
Allahu ackbar.

I deleted both DI's and samnmax's posts at the same time (multi-post deletion ftw), so sorry Sabretooth, you can't win any bets on this one. :xp:

If you want to debate the dates of the birth of Christ, please do so in Kavar's Corner. If you want to discuss religious history, please do so in Kavar's Corner as well. This is supposed to be a more light-hearted thread.

The emphasis here is Fun with a capital Fu. Thanks.
 darth_kira56
12-14-2009, 9:35 PM
Im going nonoffensive
merry whatever-you-cellebrate
and if i offend someone, may my computer explode
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-15-2009, 2:53 AM
Allahu ackbar.

LOL, i was just going to point that out. An other idiocy like AI-rack/ran :rolleyes: I reckon that must've Bush's most effective attack against the Muslim world. In theory, sure it'll work; But in practice, it just makes the pronouncer sound stupid. (half the continental US :xp:)

I deleted both DI's and samnmax's posts at the same time (multi-post deletion ftw), so sorry Sabretooth, you can't win any bets on this one.
which one did you select first?

Im going nonoffensive
Your sickening apathetic attitude is clearly a calculated attack on those who have taken the time and effort to determine an alignment on this issue. I for one, am irrevocably antagonized by such a spiteful post.
 Mandalore The Shadow
12-15-2009, 7:13 PM
Im going nonoffensive

I am offended at the misspelling of celebrate jk lolz
 Q
12-18-2009, 1:28 PM
This thread has certainly taken a turn for the worse.
can't you just drink until you don't care about that **** anymore like a normal person it's christmas
Words to live by.

Now I just celebrate Marijuanukkah.
 Rogue Nine
12-19-2009, 1:41 AM
I celebrate Christmas in a completely secular way. Also, even though it's a month later, does Winter-een-mas count?
No, it doesn't count and I'll not have you mentioning anything even remotely related to that terrible excuse for a webcomic on these forums, thanks.
 Hallucination
12-19-2009, 2:21 AM
Hey Niner,

These forums helped make that comic what it is today. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=81849)

And there's nothing you can do about it.
 Pho3nix
12-19-2009, 6:55 AM
Hahahahah =D

B^U
 Giant Graffiti
12-21-2009, 3:08 PM
I celebrate Klingon Christmas.
 LordOfTheFish
12-22-2009, 3:33 PM
I celebrate Christmas. That's all I'm saying. :/
 Jae Onasi
12-24-2009, 4:48 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to select QISmaS. :lol:
 machievelli
12-24-2009, 6:53 PM
Mmm, no.

The 25th of December was Saturnalia among the Romans, who codified the dogma of what is now the Roman Catholic Church. Originally it was named after Christ, but anyone who has checked the weather reports of the Holy land will tell you that only someone interested in frozen mutton, and frozen shepherds would be 'in the hills watching the flocks by night', so he was not born then.

It originally was supposed to be a contemplative holiday like Yom Kippur, a time to be thankful for what God had given, and consider what you did wrong. However between around 400 AD and the 10th century, the holidays of Saturnalia and Yule infected them, and began the holiday we know now.

As for 'Old Saint Nick' He was a Bishop of Myra Turkey under Diocletion, one of the first Popes of the Eastern Orthodox church. He supposedly threw money in through the window, or down the smoke hole (The chimney had yet to be invented) so that three poor women had proper doweries.
 ZimmMaster
12-24-2009, 8:15 PM
My family and I are Christians so we celebrate Christmas.
Page: 1 of 2