Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TOR Novel Coming From Sean Williams

Page: 1 of 1
 News
11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
A listing in the PubEasy database has revealed that author Sean Williams is to write a novel based on the game, simply titled “Star Wars: The Old Republic”, and due for a tentative release on July 27, 2010. The book’s ISBN no. is 9870345511324. Not much else is known at this point, but [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/tor-novel-coming-from-sean-williams/)
 Ztalker
11-04-2009, 7:44 AM
Now...

Is this to wet appetites for the game, to be released at the same time that the game does (highly unlikely) or just...the start of the inevitable ToR Marketing campaign? Surely it will be released at that time for a reason.
 TKA-001
11-04-2009, 9:21 AM
Despite my distaste for a few parts of TOR's overall story, I expect that, on its own, this novel won't be bad. After all, Sean Williams wrote the Force Unleashed novelization, and that kicked ass.
 darthfergie
11-04-2009, 1:54 PM
Interesting.
This should be a little heads up on an estimated release date. Doubt they'd release a novel on it too far in advance of the game release. Maybe a month or two at most because the main thing that's going to be selling that novel is people's interest in the game. Which means playing it in addition to the PR campaign.

Crossing my fingers for a July 2010 release of TOR.
 Spadille
11-05-2009, 3:49 PM
^ Agreed
 adamqd
11-05-2009, 5:10 PM
I understand why we keep having all this stuff/merchandise/tie-in's, but its all smoke and mirrors, the proofs in the Game lol, dont care about books, Comics, toys, celebrity Voice-overs, Cinema Standard Trailers (Which are amazing in themselves BTW, love em) If the Game is gonna be Rubbish man! Lets get down to the nitty Gritty now.
 DAWUSS
11-06-2009, 1:01 AM
Despite my distaste for a few parts of TOR's overall story, I expect that, on its own, this novel won't be bad. After all, Sean Williams wrote the Force Unleashed novelization, and that kicked ass.

As of right now, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt. Novels tend to be a lot deeper in terms of content and story. Besides, a lot of the things that currently will probably be /facepalm-worthy have already been established, so that can't be blamed on the novel.

Hopefully this novel will tie up the loose ends between KOTOR/TSL and TOP/TOR in a significant manner.
 RogueJedi86
11-06-2009, 3:14 PM
One thing I do notice is that this is the first novel in this era. Previously it was all comics and video games. Maybe this is the start of novels taking up this era. It works for me since the post-RotJ era is rapidly dooming itself, with 70 year old movie characters and their kids having to take up the reigns(plus the Legacy comics that basically show that all the movie characters are dead by 140 ABY).
 darthfergie
11-06-2009, 3:40 PM
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm novel was just announced for August 2010.

This could get interesting. SWTOR coming our right as WoW Cataclysm hits to rejuvenate the old stuff in the game...competition.
 RogueJedi86
11-06-2009, 3:48 PM
I think Blizzard will try to release Cataclysm sometime near TOR's release, just to pull people off TOR's hypetrain that will undoubtedly grab a lot of WoW Players. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but WotLK's release really hurt Warhammer and Age of Conan's numbers. But anyways, I'm thinking WoW has lost a lot of people with the China servers going into limbo. The 3.3 Newbie Tutorial enhancements, the addition of Microtransactions via pets, the China in limbo thing, it's all adding up to WoW having lost some players. It hit 10 million players in Jan'08, we're almost 2 years later and I think WoW announced at 12 million players at the start of this year, and that was it. WoW's time is fading, now we have to have other MMOs rising. Long live TOR!
 DAWUSS
11-08-2009, 12:18 PM
One thing I do notice is that this is the first novel in this era. Previously it was all comics and video games. Maybe this is the start of novels taking up this era. It works for me since the post-RotJ era is rapidly dooming itself, with 70 year old movie characters and their kids having to take up the reigns(plus the Legacy comics that basically show that all the movie characters are dead by 140 ABY).

Yep.

I actually quit paying attention to the post-ROTJ era, and I often find the comics to be a bit too "comical" for me...
Page: 1 of 1