Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Census dumps ACORN

Page: 1 of 1
 Totenkopf
09-13-2009, 3:46 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9ALCUJO0&show_article=1)

Well, they never should have been considered as partners in the first place. Too bad the latest move is little more than CYA by this administration. Much like with Van Jones. Perhaps someone should vet the vetters w/this group.:raise:
 Darth Avlectus
09-13-2009, 4:10 PM
Yup. Seems like the closer you get to the white house, the dirtier your hands hafta get.

I'm skeptical of every administration. In this case for this admin. questions were raised early on about ACORN, but the lobbyists were just shrugging off naysayers regardless of their points and stuff raised. This much time later, oh look, STING.

"Everybody's singin' that south-west song"--ICP
 Totenkopf
09-14-2009, 3:33 PM
 Det. Bart Lasiter
09-14-2009, 4:47 PM
thank god, now i can truly rest easy
 Totenkopf
09-14-2009, 7:16 PM
What a relief. Insomnia is a biatch.
 Darth Avlectus
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
*reading NYPOST article*

OK first thing is the picture in the article...THAT is them? Oh come on...Looks more like some dude at senior prom with a call girl date. Oh my gawd... :rofl: WHOOO! I thought these people were supposed to be savvy?

They risk it against state laws for these as prospective clients, you gotta be really focused on that money. But I guess loan officers couldn't tell the difference and the bottom line is the pinching of pennies and counting of beans. I understand pimping and prostituting is a regular happening IRL, but man... it's just downright careless, for a little extra money and a couple extra clients. In a state where it is illegal, I mean, Hellooooo?! You're just asking for a sting bust.
 e-varmint
09-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Speaking of the Censluss:

I got my pre-census form. Man-o-man, is this think big and intrusive! I'm going to be a good little robot and fill it out truthfully, though.

@topic: Those two ACORN workers did the rest of us a big, big favor. Sadly, some other wactivist organization that we have never heard of is inevitably waiting in the wings. I wonder what this one will be called. Those lefties sure can come up with some clever acronyms.
 Jae Onasi
09-15-2009, 2:13 AM
Bye Acorn, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.
 Lord of Hunger
09-15-2009, 4:42 PM
This organization needs to be disbanded immediately. Voter fraud AND supporting illegal prostitution? Sorry, the first one should have been enough.
 Web Rider
09-15-2009, 9:05 PM
There's no need to disband a group for bad practices. What they need to do is reform themselves. A reformed organization with more transparency and better oversight will be a lot better than a new organization formed out of the same people(or new people with the same ideas).

also: prostitution wouldn't be so bad if it were legal and regulated.
 Totenkopf
09-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Should we assume you mean prostitution by the 18+ crowd? That's a big part of the problem in this case as well. Underage female illegal aliens in a potential prostitution ring and ACORN didn't think it necessary to contact the police, but were rather all to willing to show these "entrepeneurs" how to game the system. ACORN has a series of abuses on many fronts which make terminating it a good idea. Besides, if ACORN disappeared, I'm sure another "grass roots" far left group would rise to take its place.
 Darth Avlectus
09-16-2009, 12:24 AM
There's no need to disband a group for bad practices. What they need to do is reform themselves. A reformed organization with more transparency and better oversight will be a lot better than a new organization formed out of the same people(or new people with the same ideas).

Mmm....no and yes.

No, if a group has shown a conscious disregard for law across the board then I would say they need to be excised. I'll admit this is a handful, of incidents and arguable, but the scope of it is pretty bad. Bad enough that the census bureau felt it necessary to divest itself of ACORN.

Yes, it would be great if some of these organizations had a closer eye kept on them when their involvement is of dealing directly in our democratic republic's own process with its people's votes. And in this incident, quality of life on an individual level.

I don't think it is the prostitution that bothers most people, so much as it's the pimping that goes on. Personally I think most of those scumbags deserve to eat a steel toe of a boot, or a batton...if not worse. Especially for how they treat "their property".

Besides, if ACORN disappeared, I'm sure another "grass roots" far left group would rise to take its place.

Attempting to bridge the gap in thinking here, If we had our eye on organizations like these, it might discourage others from rising up. However, I do indeed think that this particular one had to go.
 Totenkopf
09-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Attempting to bridge the gap in thinking here, If we had our eye on organizations like these, it might discourage others from rising up. However, I do indeed think that this particular one had to go.

Really only dealing with the fact that ACORN, like many things, isn't indespensable. There are many organizations besides ACORN that likely need to be looked at closely.....by media, governement and ultimately us, the people.
 Lord of Hunger
09-16-2009, 1:29 AM
In this case I must disagree. To show that the United States is committed to protecting the voting institution and thus the legislative process, the Federal Government should thoroughly investigate Acorn and expose every single illegal and immoral practice they perpetuate. Then we start having transparency for the other groups.
 Q
09-16-2009, 5:50 AM
I guess that this was inevitable. ACORN always did seem rather shady in its dealings.

Funny story, though.
 Jae Onasi
09-16-2009, 10:24 AM

"Bad practices"? What they were doing is illegal. The people involved need to be brought up on charges and punished if they're found guilty. They should NOT be allowed to return to the organization or a new version of the same thing. There is systemic corruption in this organization, and every corrupt office needs to be shut down. The ones that are running legitimately? Fine, but they're going to have to prove themselves again because of the actions of their sister groups. That's unfortunately the results of working for a corrupt organization.

Prostitution--great--let's legalize a practice that encourages women (and some men) to open themselves up for abuse, is tied to mob activity and drug trade, spreads STDs, and helps ruin the family unit when one of the adults strays from their commitments to the spouse/partner they love. That's not a wise answer.
 jrrtoken
09-16-2009, 4:09 PM
Prostitution--great--let's legalize a practice that encourages women (and some men) to open themselves up for abuse, is tied to mob activity and drug trade, spreads STDs, and helps ruin the family unit when one of the adults strays from their commitments to the spouse/partner they love. That's not a wise answer.I dunno about you, but Nederland has had prostitution legalized for quite sometime, and from I what I've heard (:dev8:), it's been well regulated by the government. IIRC, prostitution is a licensed trade, with solicitation limited to designated and government-inspected brothels, and compulsory STD tests, etc. In fact, just a year ago several brothels were closed by the government in order to curtail and outright eliminate any threat of organized crime corrupting the trade

In short, to say that prostitution can't be a well-regulated and respectable business is a folly.

(I've probably started an outright new topic; feel free to fork this into a separate thread :))
 mimartin
09-16-2009, 4:34 PM
(I've probably started an outright new topic; feel free to fork this into a separate thread :))Agreed.

If anyone wishes to continue the legalized prostitution debate, please take it to another thread. If you do so, remember that this is a PG-13 forum, so post accordingly. We have a new sheriff in Kavar and he may not be as forgiving as me. ;)
 e-varmint
09-17-2009, 7:54 AM
Back @ topic;

*WARNING: This is a FOX News Link. Don't say I didn't warn you.*

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,551163,00.html)

Do these acorn workers not read the news? How can someone possibly fall for this same trick again? Worse, how is it that acorn failed to get the word out that this type of behavior is simply not a good idea?
 Q
09-17-2009, 8:43 AM
Because they obviously don't see anything wrong with what they're doing; that is, until they're called on it, of course.

There seems to be a lot of that going around. Here's to hoping that it all gets ruthlessly squashed.
 e-varmint
09-17-2009, 9:21 AM
Because they obviously don't see anything wrong with what they're doing; that is, until they're called on it, of course.

There seems to be a lot of that going around. Here's to hoping that it all gets ruthlessly squashed.

Ruthlessly Squashed with Extreme Prejudice! If this story proves credible, acorn is now connected, via this individual, with two of the absolute worse affronts to society:

Child prostitution and Slavery.

The idea if one person "owning" another has haunted our country since it's inception. In my book, child prostitution IS slavery. Maybe it is a good thing that I cannot understand how any individual or organization could possibly see this as acceptable.
 Q
09-17-2009, 9:26 AM
Because anything can be made to seem acceptable when enough rationalization is applied. The mind is funny that way.

Wait: are we discussing an organization or a person? T'would seem to apply to both. :p
 Totenkopf
09-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Do these acorn workers not read the news? How can someone possibly fall for this same trick again? Worse, how is it that acorn failed to get the word out that this type of behavior is simply not a good idea?

They can fall for it b/c these tapes were compiled earlier this summer and possibly before that. They are only just releasing them now. As to your second question, I guess that it's just a "good organization" gone horribly wrong. But what do you expect when it's CFO embezzled $1M and got away with it b/c his twin brother (and cofounder) paid back the money and buried the skeleton (at least somewhat successfully, as we've only really learned about these things in the media over the last year or so). My guess is that the leadership of ACORN and the SEIU are at best a very amoral bunch. Given all the abuses we now know about that the group has committed over the course of at least the last decade, perhaps the "independent audit" ought to be a RICO investigation by the FBI and US attorneys and not some rinky-dink "independent" outfit chosen by ACORN.

Well, as symbolic measures go, ACORN is taking a beating from Congress. Both houses have voted for federal defunding by hefty majorities. Will the BO administration follow up w/a federal colonoscopy of this outfit and its affiliates? I'll believe it when I see it.......
 El Sitherino
09-17-2009, 6:48 PM
I must say I hope they follow with criminal action against those that were personally involved in the fraud. Criminal Negligence to start with.
 Totenkopf
09-17-2009, 6:53 PM
Well, I suspect that if you're referring to the two "film makers", I seriously doubt much will happen to them. ACORN is now too toxic for anyone political to be too attached to right now. If, however, you're referring to the various employees that ACORN has thrown under the bus.......sure, that'd be fine. So long as you move all the way up the food chain to the leadership of ACORN itself.
 El Sitherino
09-17-2009, 7:26 PM
Well, I suspect that if you're referring to the two "film makers", I seriously doubt much will happen to them.

From what I know they didn't do anything wrong.

If, however, you're referring to the various employees that ACORN has thrown under the bus.......sure, that'd be fine. So long as you move all the way up the food chain to the leadership of ACORN itself.

I'm pretty sure they're the only ones in this case that actually qualify for having done something that is criminal. Anyone that is informed of child abuse and trafficking and does not report the case is held to the standard of allowing further crime to take place and can/will be included in conspiracy and negligence charges. Kind of like those moms that let their daughters get raped by step-dad.
 Totenkopf
09-17-2009, 7:38 PM
Anyone that is informed of child abuse and trafficking and does not report the case is held to the standard of allowing further crime to take place and can/will be included in conspiracy and negligence charges. Kind of like those moms that let their daughters get raped by step-dad.

Well, and it'd almost be funny if it weren't so damn sleazy and serious, the guy from San Diego saying he had contacts in Tijuana that could help them smuggle the alleged girls into the US. Still, that covers almost everyone they talked to in the 5 videos we know about for certain.
Page: 1 of 1