Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Last Crusade version!

Page: 1 of 2
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 8:22 AM
Calling ATM... Calling ATM... Come in ATM...

As a massive fan of Last Crusade I'm especially happy that there's a new "bug fixed" version coming. But what bug-fixes could there be? I remember ATM's page pointing out that certain characters (like the butler at Brunwald Castle) had their "EGA" clothes on in the VGA version... Could this be what they mean?

Also, what's the Tandy sound going to be like? As I've said before the FM Towns music, although technically higher quality, missed out on many tracks, so wasn't perfect.

Excited! :) I hope it's not much more than $4.99 though! This IS an extremely old again and even I wouldn't want to pay a lot more for it.
 Tower Five
07-07-2009, 8:38 AM
It seems to be a final polish and fix of the game, ensuring all in-game elements are VGA and that sound reproduction is faithful to the original.

What bothers me is that they're using Tandy sound for the game, and not the CD soundtrack, but I gather that the updated audio wasn't comprehensive.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 8:45 AM
Is Tandy sound any good? What IS Tandy sound??
 s-island
07-07-2009, 8:49 AM
Tandy used a 3 voice sound generator. To me it doesn't sound much better than a PC speaker. I hope they've included the adlib soundtrack as well.
 Tower Five
07-07-2009, 9:14 AM
Hmm, that doesn't seem particularly encouraging, I assume the usual Adlib and Windows MIDI options will be available.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 9:40 AM
Nah, they can't be bigging up the Tandy sounds if it isn't much better than a PC Speaker... must be something different about it.
 MusiclyInspired
07-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Maybe there are unique digital sounds that weren't in the original Tandy soundtrack? (since Tandy can produce digital sound)
 SyntheticGerbil
07-07-2009, 10:31 AM
It seems to be a final polish and fix of the game, ensuring all in-game elements are VGA and that sound reproduction is faithful to the original.

Where did you see that?
 MusiclyInspired
07-07-2009, 10:36 AM
If it was faithful to the original why didn't they say Adlib sound? I don't get it.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I think that's because he made that stuff up... Or maybe they mean "faithful in intent"? Basically I hope we can assume that the sound quality will be better than the VGA version (because the music itself was very good).
 clone2727
07-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I'll post from my comments to the news post to here (edited and whatnot):

What CD-ROM re-release from 1992 are they talking about? The only DOS re-release was the white label release which was identical to the floppy release. The full article says "...version of The Last Crusade isn't the CD-ROM version that was released in 1992." The FM-Towns version was released in 1990, so it can't be that one. And, it was made for Adlib, which confused me as well. That version mentioned in the adventurer would make sense. I've never seen that version around though.

In conclusion and IMHO, it's either a) that mystical CD version mentioned in the Adventurer or b) something made up.
 Udvarnoky
07-07-2009, 12:00 PM
That's probably where "unreleased" comes into play. This is likely a port that was fully developed back in the early 90s but canceled before release. There are a couple of examples of this documented somewhere.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Wow, really? That's even awesome-er!
 SyntheticGerbil
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Man, if that's true, that will be so great!
 Sven_Q45
07-07-2009, 1:20 PM
Also, what's the Tandy sound going to be like? As I've said before the FM Towns music, although technically higher quality, missed out on many tracks, so wasn't perfect.
Yes the track when you go to Venice isnґt complete and Venice has no music. :(

Excited! :) I hope it's not much more than $4.99 though! This IS an extremely old again and even I wouldn't want to pay a lot more for it.
Iґd pay more!!!
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 1:31 PM
Iґd pay more!!!

Shhhh! Don't tell them that!
 MusiclyInspired
07-07-2009, 1:36 PM
What' wrong with encouraging further re-releases and possibly new game development in the classic adventure genre?
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 1:40 PM
Yeah, because that's obviously what I'm secretly fighting for... Down with adventure games!!! :rolleyes:
 MusiclyInspired
07-07-2009, 1:42 PM
Hey now, I'm not accusing you of anything of the sort!
 Laserschwert
07-07-2009, 3:46 PM
Hey, don't fight... that's just what they want!
 ThunderPeel2001
07-07-2009, 4:09 PM
It's this lack of Monkey Island... it's driving me crazy! I can't start my evening until it arrives!!! I know as soon as I walk away it will be online... arghhh..
 SyntheticGerbil
07-08-2009, 4:05 PM
Did anyone pick this up to compare, so that I know whether I want it over the FM-Towns version or not?
 ATMachine
07-08-2009, 4:36 PM
The Steam version of LC is basically the same as the PC VGA version, but with one (!) typo fixed (which is also apparently fixed in the FM Towns version.)

Also you have the option to use a graphic smoothing filter and aspect ratio correction (both are enabled by default but can be turned off), like the Entertainment Pack releases in Europe a few years back.
 SyntheticGerbil
07-08-2009, 5:04 PM
Haha, one typo?! Wow...

So was the Tandy 1000 sound incorrect?
 Sven_Q45
07-08-2009, 5:09 PM
Also not FM-Towns like.
Please give me short direct infos about that. :)
 ATMachine
07-08-2009, 5:58 PM
The Steam LC appears to emulate AdLib sound so it sounds like the old PC VGA version.

The FM Towns version of course has multiple CD music tracks taken from the film soundtrack recording sessions.
 Sven_Q45
07-08-2009, 6:00 PM
The FM Towns version of course has multiple CD music tracks taken from the film soundtrack recording sessions.
Yes, I know that. ;)

@Steam version
So, no really better version. I mustnґt download it then.
 MusiclyInspired
07-08-2009, 6:08 PM
What was the 'Tandy 1000 sounds' bit all about then?
 LogicDeLuxe
07-08-2009, 7:24 PM
Are the Steam releases encrypted, or can they be used with ScummVM too?
 Laserschwert
07-09-2009, 5:10 AM
Actually, no, they aren't from the movie soundtrack. I don't remember exactly to whom I talked about this, but it was someone who was in charge of the FM-Towns music. Anyway, he told me that those tracks were actually a re-recording done for some Disney thing... an attraction... a CD... I really don't remember. I doubt that I still have that e-mail, but I'll check. But if you'll compare the movie soundtrack to the FM-Towns tracks, you'll notice they are different.
 Melancholick
07-09-2009, 6:42 AM
Actually, no, they aren't from the movie soundtrack. I don't remember exactly to whom I talked about this, but it was someone who was in charge of the FM-Towns music. Anyway, he told me that those tracks were actually a re-recording done for some Disney thing... an attraction... a CD... I really don't remember. I doubt that I still have that e-mail, but I'll check. But if you'll compare the movie soundtrack to the FM-Towns tracks, you'll notice they are different.

I recall reading about this umpteen-billion years ago on another forum... I believe the adapted soundtrack material was from the Indy stunt show they had at Disneyworld.

So there's that!
 ThunderPeel2001
07-09-2009, 8:42 AM
The Steam version of LC is basically the same as the PC VGA version, but with one (!) typo fixed (which is also apparently fixed in the FM Towns version.)

Also you have the option to use a graphic smoothing filter and aspect ratio correction (both are enabled by default but can be turned off), like the Entertainment Pack releases in Europe a few years back.

ONE TYPO!?!

LucasArts tells us that the version of The Last Crusade that will be put on Steam is a "previously unreleased version" with "even more bugfixes" than the original CD-ROM re-release, along with a "Tandy 1000 sound engine."

ONE TYPO?!

Are you sure that's the ONLY change, ATM? What about the butler's EGA costume? How disappointing :( Ah, well.
 LordTrilobite
07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
This is steam we're talking about though, LucasArts can always decide to upgrade it some more if stuff is broken.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, but they're not going to are they? :)
 Jayel
07-09-2009, 11:09 AM
The Steam LC appears to emulate AdLib sound so it sounds like the old PC VGA version.

are you sure, though? I used to have a pc with Adlib back in the day and Steam's LC sounds so much worse than I remember!
 ThunderPeel2001
07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
are you sure, though? I used to have a pc with Adlib back in the day and Steam's LC sounds so much worse than I remember!

Really? That's disappointing to hear :(
 SyntheticGerbil
07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Well, that sure was a failed endeavor.

Guess I won't be getting this "new" and "improved" version of the Last Crusade, afterall.
 Zak McKracken
07-09-2009, 1:55 PM
I figured this was the best place to post this since the Indy board seems dead.

I'm stuck in the catacombs in the musical Skull room. I guess I'm not musically inclined AT ALL because I've been stuck for hours even though I've looked at hints and watched a walkthrough on youtube. I posted a link of the picture from my Grail Diary. Can anyone help me?

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/tt96/McKracken1997/?action=view&current=MusicalSkulls.jpg)

Thanks
 SyntheticGerbil
07-09-2009, 3:20 PM
There's six skulls and six music bar thingys available right?

It's been a while, but assuming I remember there being six skulls, you just find the one with the high note and do it as you would a math problem. One skull on one end being the highest note, the other far end being the lowest note.

Enjoy the catacombs, because the game sort of goes downhill from there. I like parts of the nazi castle, but after that it's mostly a bunch of mazes and fist fights until you make it to the grail.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-10-2009, 4:54 AM
I figured this was the best place to post this since the Indy board seems dead.

I'm stuck in the catacombs in the musical Skull room. I guess I'm not musically inclined AT ALL because I've been stuck for hours even though I've looked at hints and watched a walkthrough on youtube. I posted a link of the picture from my Grail Diary. Can anyone help me?

http://s601.photobucket.com/albums/tt96/McKracken1997/?action=view&current=MusicalSkulls.jpg)

Thanks

Check out my signature :thmbup1:
 SyntheticGerbil
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes, Thunderpeel seems to be the only person on the whole internet who knows how to get the most points in an Indiana Jones game.
 bgbennyboy
07-11-2009, 4:57 AM
ONE TYPO!?!

ONE TYPO?!

Are you sure that's the ONLY change, ATM? What about the butler's EGA costume? How disappointing :( Ah, well.

Unfortunately so, I'm the one who checked it :~ I did a binary compare of the resource files with the vga version, 00,lfl is buried inside the exe and 04.lfl has the one byte change correcting that typo. So technically they weren't actually lying about the bugfix :~
 ThunderPeel2001
07-11-2009, 5:56 AM
Unfortunately so, I'm the one who checked it :~ I did a binary compare of the resource files with the vga version, 00,lfl is buried inside the exe and 04.lfl has the one byte change correcting that typo. So technically they weren't actually lying about the bugfix :~

Well, that is depressing :(

I still haven't bought it, but I probably will. I'm not sure ScummVM ever got around to adding proper support to the IQ points and it has been buggy for me on occassion, too... At least this should work properly.

One question: What was the typo? :)
 bgbennyboy
07-11-2009, 6:41 AM
 Jayel
07-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I suppose that it's possible that the bug fix is not in the resource/scripts but rather their interpreter.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-11-2009, 2:53 PM
'DOOJ' changed to 'DOOR'

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/temp/LastCrusade04.lfl.png)

Woo. I suppose, to be fair, they may have noticed the version number was higher than the released version, but not known what the actual changes where.
 purple_tentacle_
07-12-2009, 1:57 AM
I only have one question. What is this? Is there a last crusade game? and this is Indiana Jones right? Because if not I have no Idea what it would be.
 LordTrilobite
07-12-2009, 6:47 AM
Are you serious? Of course it's a game.
 ThunderPeel2001
07-12-2009, 7:25 AM
Picked it up. Yup, it's better to have the full game not on ScummVM -- much less chance for weird bugs, proper IQ points support (or was this added for LC? can never remember). But the Tandy sound is AWFUL. It's definitely the worst I've ever heard the Last Crusade soundtrack. All the sound effects are reduced to PC Speaker style noises. Why did they do this??
 Fealiks
07-12-2009, 1:05 PM
I guess to make it seem more like an old game, or to induce nostalgia
Page: 1 of 2