Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will TOR have the BioWare punchline?

Page: 1 of 1
 DAWUSS
04-21-2009, 6:36 PM
You know, the one that involves our characters?
 jrrtoken
04-21-2009, 6:44 PM
You mean, the Generic Soldier, the Gooddoer Neophyte, and BioWare's other standard NPC archetypes?
 DAWUSS
04-21-2009, 6:45 PM
You mean, the Generic Soldier, the Gooddoer Neophyte, and BioWare's other standard NPC archetypes?

Nope, the one where you find out your character isn't who you thought he was, despite creating him.
 Miltiades
04-21-2009, 7:19 PM
Having amnesia, being mind-wiped or just unaware of what you are, and at the end of the story finding out you're Revan, former Dark Lord and Jedi Knight from centuries past? I'm guessing there will be a "great revelation, big secret" somehow, somewhere, in the game. Whether it will center around your character, or around one of the major NPC's in the game, but I do think there will.
 Steve-O Kreesh
04-22-2009, 10:03 AM
It would be awfully difficult for them to pull that off in a MMO. But who knows, anything is possible. :)
 Tommycat
04-23-2009, 3:06 AM
Did they do that in Mass Effect?
 Jeff
04-23-2009, 9:15 AM
No spoils! Still have to play that game. :p
 adamqd
04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
My Guess is your past will be left out and you'll just be a promising recruit in either faction. I cant see them being able to write a gary stu storyline into your experience successfully, and still have co-op story... unless the MMO elements are end game content only?

As for Amnesiac Hero... twice bitten Thrice as shy.
 kotorfan84
04-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree that you'll just be a promising recruit in either faction. For the Jedi/Sith story line you'll probably have just finished your apprentice training. With he Bounty Hunter line you'll be a guy with a a blaster and a contact that thinks you have potential.
 Web Rider
04-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Did they do that in Mass Effect?

Sort of, you made your own PC, but you had a "mysterious event" that everyone talks about and gives you weird looks for that you're PC seems to know about but you the player only get bits and pieces of. You do get to define parts of it, but along the lines of "when you were there you: A: Did what it took. B: Could have gone better. C: were lame. or D: did nothing."

It wasn't as "ZOMG I'M REVAN!!!?!?!" style, but still, your PC wasn't completely defined by only you.

I'm hoping they just do the typical DnD/MMO approach, you're just some new adventurer/person ready to go out into the universe.
 Tommycat
04-24-2009, 1:00 AM
Sort of, you made your own PC, but you had a "mysterious event" that everyone talks about and gives you weird looks for that you're PC seems to know about but you the player only get bits and pieces of. You do get to define parts of it, but along the lines of "when you were there you: A: Did what it took. B: Could have gone better. C: were lame. or D: did nothing."

It wasn't as "ZOMG I'M REVAN!!!?!?!" style, but still, your PC wasn't completely defined by only you.

I'm hoping they just do the typical DnD/MMO approach, you're just some new adventurer/person ready to go out into the universe.

Yeah I wouldn't really say it was really that much of a twist. (just in case spoiler tag)
You really defined your character, and (s)he wasn't the typical "Who was I before this moment" character common to most RPG's. You don't really find anything NEW about your character (then again, maybe that is Bioware flexing their creativity in story telling) the player finds out more, but the character was not amnesiatic. Though you get some extra content based on your choices...
I think that was pretty dang creative of Bioware.
 TheRogueForums
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
It would be awfully difficult for them to pull that off in a MMO. But who knows, anything is possible. :)

Well, perhaps for the main character, but for NPCs, it could make for epic sotry line plots. I'm thinking there will be something like this in the game.
 Sharen Thrawn
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes it will have tons of clichés.
 True_Avery
05-07-2009, 1:20 PM
Yes it will have tons of clichйs.
Then again, this is Star Wars. Its cliche ridden, and made some of those film cliches popular by itself. Can't expect much more or less.
 Tommycat
05-07-2009, 5:52 PM
Then again, this is Star Wars. Its cliche ridden, and made some of those film cliches popular by itself. Can't expect much more or less.

It took most of those cliche's from epic stories.
 Jae Onasi
05-18-2009, 9:42 PM

It took most of those cliche's from epic stories.
Agree on both counts to these comments.

I'm sure it'll have some archetypes. I'm OK with that. It won't be Star Wars without some black-and-white/good-and-evil types. That's part of its charm.
 Sabretooth
06-03-2009, 8:12 AM

This.

"You were all part of an Academy test to see how you would react in the scenario that the Sith would invade."
 Miltiades
06-03-2009, 9:20 AM
"You were all part of an Academy test to see how you would react in the scenario that the Sith would invade." You should be hired by BioWare.
 Saenjaina
06-03-2009, 6:08 PM
While it would definitely add some meat to the individual plotline bone, it would in my opinion not be necessary. I don't expect to be some forgotten "awesome" or something like that. I'd prefer building up my own character whilst maintaining some kind of neutralness in the sense of being kind of average-joe.
 Lord Foley
06-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I think it should turn out that you're Revan again. No one would see it coming this time.
 shukkoku
06-04-2009, 12:45 AM
I think since its an mmorpg the fact that every single other player is also some established character that shares your fate will take away from it. i think it would be better off with normal RPGing
 velinos
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
We will all be pawns in the war. We are not the major story line like you are in kotor. You will have your own storyline but it will not end up with you becoming a Sith or Jedi council member.
 ironheart
06-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I think it should turn out that you're Revan again. No one would see it coming this time.

*snickersnort* 300-plus year old amnesiac? :lol:
 Tommycat
06-11-2009, 12:49 AM

Well ya know they say the memory is the second thing to go... Forgot what the first was.
 Sabretooth
06-11-2009, 2:15 AM

You mean 20 million 300-plus year old amnesiacs all being trolled by the Academy into thinking that they're Revan.
 ironheart
06-11-2009, 9:59 PM
You mean 20 million 300-plus year old amnesiacs all being trolled by the Academy into thinking that they're Revan.

That too. :)
 WraithPrince
06-12-2009, 7:46 AM
I can only imagine....

"I r R3van!"
"no I R Revan!"
"No I R's Raven"
"No I r Malak!"
"wait who we fighting about being again?"
 ironheart
06-12-2009, 4:54 PM
I can only imagine....

"I r R3van!"
"no I R Revan!"
"No I R's Raven"
"No I r Malak!"
"wait who we fighting about being again?"

Will the real Darth Revan please stand up?

:rofl:
 MyNameDidntFit
06-14-2009, 9:46 AM
It'd be Sparticus all over again...
Page: 1 of 1