Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Page: 1 of 1
 MrWally
12-30-2008, 3:41 PM
I've been longing to see this film since I first heard about it a year or so ago. Last night, after some frantic planning and a very lucky series of events I was finally able to catch it in theaters, and I'm shocked that no one has started a thread about it here.

For those who don't know, it covers the story of a man named Benjamin Button, who was born under unusual circumstances. Essentially, he was born as an old, old man and it seemed as if he was about to die, but as he grew older his body grew younger and younger. Starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, it is a beautiful film about life, love, and everything in between.

If you are a fan of Forrest Gump, then I especially recommend that you see this film. Both movies were written by Eric Roth, and likewise they have very similar structures. I found it interesting, however, that they have essentially contrasting themes (I don't really consider this a spoiler at all, but I'll tag it anyway). While Forrest Gump teaches that life is a series of cause and effect--that essentially it is the world around us and the people we meet who influence our lives and shape our future, and that in essence we have little control over our actual lives--Benjamin Button, while vaguely reminiscing this theme, focuses more on how, no matter what happens, we are in control of our lives and eventually we reach the same destination no matter what path we take.

Pretty profound, in my opinion.

This was a beautiful film, and while I loved The Dark Knight, I think I'd much rather prefer that this receive Best Picture. Few films can make me laugh and cry at the same time (and, like Forrest Gump, Benjamin Button will definitely make you laugh). Leaving the theater I felt as if I had just seen an old classic for the very first time, and I knew that I will appreciate Benjamin Button for years to come.

And if anyone tells you that this 159 minute film is "too long" then they don't know what they're talking about. It deserved every minute it received, and as it ended I found myself wishing for more.
 Achilles
12-30-2008, 4:15 PM
Like you I've been following this film for a while and I look forward to seeing it soon.
 Commander Obi-Wan
12-30-2008, 5:20 PM
Yeah, I've anticipating this movie since the summer, when I first saw the trailer, I think. I'm suppose to go see it tonight.
 Achilles
12-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Couldn't convince my buddy to see this yesterday, so we saw Frost/Nixon instead. This thread inspired me to go see it tonight instead of waiting.

It was pretty good. Very well made with great performances by everyone. Instant classic and maybe even award winning. I'll have to sleep on it before I can decide whether it lived up to what I was expecting or not.
 Commander Obi-Wan
12-31-2008, 3:56 AM
I just got back from watching it. I would say it was quite an excellent movie. I can agree with pretty much Mr.Wally said about it.

I'm still debating whether it's my favourite film of the year yet. It'd have to say it's a tie between The Dark Knight and this movie. I still think In Bruges is my favourite movie this year.
 MrWally
12-31-2008, 4:49 AM
Oooh In Bruges. That got interesting reviews, but I never really looked into it.

I'll have to watch it before school starts back up.
 Vaelastraz
12-31-2008, 8:50 AM
In Bruges is very entertaining but not a particularly outstanding film imo.

Anyway, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button seems interesting to me. I'll go see it once it's released here..
 Pho3nix
12-31-2008, 9:33 AM
I'm looking forward to it.
Page: 1 of 1