Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

3dmax showing half model squarish even after hiding bones etc

Page: 1 of 1
 LordRevan999
12-12-2008, 7:21 PM
I have imported a model and hid everything except Larm,Rarm and Torso.And applied material and it gave me squarish look on half of the model.Please help.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/LordRevan999/modelproblem.jpg)
 Quanon
12-13-2008, 5:34 AM
Not sure why Max did that to your model, but I think I know how you can solve this.

You'll need to edit the Surface Properties of the model mesh, the left side of the body. As that is the one being blocky.

So select the torso part, on the right side you should see, the stack with Skin and Editable Mesh under it. ( I don't have Skin in my screenshot as I just used a silly Cylinder.)

Click on the Editable Mesh, Max will throw a warning message at you, don't worry just hit yes.

Then, you'll get to the options avaible for the mesh:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/Quanon/SMOOTH.jpg)

What you need to do:

1) Scroll down to the Surface Properties part of the mesh: you'll see that box with the numbers(smoothing groups). Its these numbers that tell Max how much to smooth the model. The higher the more. In my example of a cylinder its just a low 4.

2) First, use select poly ( the squarre icon at the top), just click on any poly that looks smooth. Scroll down and you should see what number is picked to make it look that smooth.

3) Knowing the number, go back to the "ruff" side, select the whole bunch of polys that make up the left side of the model, and click the number to smooth. You'll have to repeat this for the arm and leg part aswell.

This should help out a bit; though you might to re-check the smooth parts. Often the arms and legs might have a differant number then the belly for example.

Hope this helps a bit :)
 LordRevan999
12-13-2008, 2:38 PM
Thanks Quanon,that worked.But how do I fix this permanently.Because when ever I open 3dmax and import the model it appears like the same before.Any suggestion?
 Quanon
12-13-2008, 4:45 PM
Thanks Quanon,that worked.But how do I fix this permanently.Because when ever I open 3dmax and import the model it appears like the same before.Any suggestion?

Does this happen with other body models as well ?

I might check it out if my Max does it aswell, do you got the name of the model ?

If it doesn't happen with other models and NOT on my Max then perhaps a recompile with MDLops could help.

Else I fear this is just one of those model files that'll be buggy whatever you do.
 svцsh
12-13-2008, 4:54 PM
I use max 8 and never encountered this issue before, perhaps the problem is caused by the version of nwmax 0.8 b60 ? I still use nwmax0.7 myself. So it's just a thought.

LordRevan999 If it's female scout undies for k1 ? Then I recently had that model in max just a few weeks back, no problems importing at all.
 LordRevan999
12-13-2008, 6:13 PM
Its a female undies for TSL.pfbam.Quanon,I am busy with some other stuff so I cannot check if other models show the same problem or not.Please I hope you know how to fix this.

Btw,svosh,why would latest nwmax version give problems?
 svцsh
12-13-2008, 6:50 PM
new bug's or features ;) there was one when nmmax 0.8 first came out that added a check to Weld To Nearest cm, and it would always cause a sanity error on export. So I just reverted back to 0.7 it was one more little thing to check every time while exporting my model and when your compiling a model like 20 times and tweaking it it's just annoying.

But why half your model appears as faceted and not smooth+highlights is really strange is there a service pack for 3dsmax 9 ?

Normally to see your model in Facets mode or Facets + Highlights you right click your perspective view port name and go to >Other

It's really odd only half the model had smoothing groups.
 Quanon
12-14-2008, 6:16 AM
But why half your model appears as faceted and not smooth+highlights is really strange is there a service pack for 3dsmax 9 ?

2 service packs have been released so far.
 redrob41
12-14-2008, 1:37 PM
I only use gmax (the free one, can't remember which version), and the same thing always happens to me, but IIRC only with the TSL underwear models (both male & female). The N_Mandalorian.mdl was fine, so was Mira's jacket and the dancer's outfit. The only other bodies I've worked on in TSL were the Twi'lek female & the twin assassins, but I can't remember off hand if they had this problem or not.
 TriggerGod
12-14-2008, 1:44 PM
I only use gmax (the free one, can't remember which version), and the same thing always happens to me, but IIRC only with the TSL underwear models (both male & female). The N_Mandalorian.mdl was fine, so was Mira's jacket and the dancer's outfit. The only other bodies I've worked on in TSL were the Twi'lek female & the twin assassins, but I can't remember off hand if they had this problem or not.

While, on my end, GMax never has any boxy models except for extruding. All the models I sent into GMax (and I've sent a lot of models into GMax. Mandalore's armor, Bastila's clothing, Handmaiden's clothing, the underwear, lots of heads, etc...)

I'm quite sure what your problem is LR... its probably an error with 3ds...
Page: 1 of 1