Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

*Sigh* It would be really nice if we did something other than talk....

Page: 1 of 1
 jonathan7
12-08-2008, 6:11 PM
About this; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article5310007.ece)

So the question is how do we solve the problems in Zimbabwe?
 jrrtoken
12-08-2008, 6:18 PM
Well, I guess it shows you that Vogons really do exist. :rolleyes:

"We'll process your request to stop violence in Africa. This will be followed by further meetings and luncheons, until the decision upon whether to act will be voted upon, and at that time, we shall hold further meetings discussing said vote, and whether it was appropriate. If the vote is deemed inappropriate, then there will be a recount, followed by more meetings."
 Web Rider
12-08-2008, 7:13 PM
Let them solve it. Don't call me heartless, everyone gets their panties in a wad when the US gets involved regardless of good intentions, so, lets let them solve their problems.
 Jae Onasi
12-08-2008, 9:13 PM
jonathan7 is from the UK, not the US. :)

What do citizens of Zimbabwe want?
 Web Rider
12-08-2008, 9:23 PM
jonathan7 is from the UK, not the US. :)

What do citizens of Zimbabwe want?

I am aware of there J7 is from. However J7 said "we" insomuch I figured he was talking about "we" of the forum. And we're all from different places.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
stage a coup so we can move zimbabwe on to the next dictator (with 50% more tyranny!)
 vanir
12-09-2008, 1:26 AM
An abusive government, runaway inflation and a national health crisis.
Getting rid of Mugabe doesn't necessarily broach any of these issues, which would be one major consideration.

I read recently the current average life expectancy in Zimbabwe, the shortest in the world is 37 for males and 34 for females.
 mur'phon
12-09-2008, 2:14 AM
Start rewarding those African countries who try to get rid of him, and give ZA a slapp on the wrist hard enough to persuade the Zumanizer to get rid of Mugabe.
 Tommycat
12-10-2008, 10:31 PM
About this; http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article5310007.ece)

After the way the world reacted to Iraq, I doubt anything can be done. And at least in Iraq, we had a sorta kinda reason to go in. We don't even have that sorta kinda reason to go into Zimbabwe. Pretty much all we can do is point to them and say, "STOP DOING THAT" with nothing being done. We can pull our foreign aid. Impose sanctions. All of those things, but what are you asking for really. A military action to effect regime change? Seems last time we did that, left our troops on foreign soil, and a lot of countries mad at us.

Honestly though Mugabe isn't the only problem they have. Removing him wouldn't resolve their problems so much as create new ones. At least he is a known quantity at this point.
 SW01
12-11-2008, 5:55 AM
There never seemed to be much hope that this 'Unity Government' would ever get off the ground. I believe that, if the world is to effect change on Zimbabwe, the best way would be to give more support to Mr. Tsvangirai. It is a pity though that the UN is essentially a non-entity in this argument, due to a brace of vetoes. And it is a sorry state of affairs that prevents some of the most powerful states (or some that were powerful in recent memory) can exert very little in the way of political pressure upon Mugabe.

But yes, it seems highly likely that the problem in Zimbabwe would continue to exist - if not deteriorate further - if Mugabe was simply deposed, militarily or otherwise. From recent examples, a sudden onset of 'freedom' can be the death-knell of stability. There would probably have to be nearly a 'government-in-exile' to install once the current regime is gone - again, whether that was done by military means, democratic means, or passage of time. The latter seems the most likely to bring change though...
 Web Rider
12-11-2008, 2:43 PM
Start rewarding those African countries who try to get rid of him, and give ZA a slapp on the wrist hard enough to persuade the Zumanizer to get rid of Mugabe.

I'm concerned about some of the greater implications of telling South Africa to start acting like the USA of Africa. ie: going in and "helping" neighbors. For starters, the SA government is almost entirely controlled by the ANC, and there is no viable alternative to it. Not to mention, Zuma, I come on, Zuma for cyin out loud...WTF!?

South Africa has problems of it's own, problems that aren't going to get better if they start deciding who can and cannot be in power in neighboring countries. Nor is it going to help them to become the USA or Europe's lapdog in Africa.
 Jammy-Jedi
12-11-2008, 5:58 PM
Put presser on the African nations to pull there fingers out of there ***s and do somthing, while SA should not be playing the USA of Africa they and outher countries should be at least standing up and saying that Mugabe is wrong thought Zuma has criticisied Mugabe which is somthing Mbeki never did saying it would be "undiplomatic to publicly chastise Mugabe"

I gess the real problem is that so many of the African nations see Mugabe as a freedome fighter and failing to see that in some ways ironically ZANU-PF rathere then proving
Ian Smith wrong have proved him right.
Page: 1 of 1