Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Timeframe Vs. Franchise

Page: 1 of 1
 Titanius Anglesmith
10-24-2008, 1:33 PM
Whahaha :xp: T7nowhere:
"There will never be a kotor multiplayer"

Epic!
Technically speaking, this game isn't KotOR, nor is it part of the KotOR franchise. :)
 Rinku
10-25-2008, 12:34 PM
no but it is kind-of in the time period of kotor, so that is what (I think Ztalker meant).
 johnhawke
10-25-2008, 12:45 PM
anyone else notice on the official site in the faq rollbar it says revan never returned from his little expedition? that kinda rules out the whole kotorIII:The Search for Revan idea IMHO. At least i thought thats what the end of Kotor II was trying to get across. >.> whos know with that jacked up ending lol.

Technically speaking, this game isn't KotOR, nor is it part of the KotOR franchise. :)

HUH??? did you read the offical wire?

Quote:

OCTOBER 21, SAN FRANCISCO – LucasArts and BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republic™, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™ franchise
 Titanius Anglesmith
10-25-2008, 1:04 PM
"Set in the same timeframe" and "part of the same franchise" are two different things.
 johnhawke
10-25-2008, 3:45 PM
"Set in the same timeframe" and "part of the same franchise" are two different things.

Quote:

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the most critically acclaimed Star Wars game in LucasArts history and a preeminent example of our company’s interactive storytelling heritage," said Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts. "For a long time, we’ve long wanted to return to the franchise in a grand way, and we felt that the best setting for it was an online world that would allow millions of people to participate in the experience together. We knew that the developer capable of working with us to deliver an engrossing story with a fully-realized online world was BioWare."
 True_Avery
10-25-2008, 5:09 PM
Debate moved to General Discussion.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-25-2008, 8:27 PM
Lucasarts and Bioware are obviously regarding this game as a true sequel to the KotOR franchise. Whether it'll be or not.
 SW01
10-25-2008, 9:22 PM
It is very tempting to say that this is well outside the timeframe of KotOR and TSL, so not part of the franchise. All of the main characters (with the possible exception of the droids) will likely be long dead, and the surroundings and 'politics' of the situation will likely have evolved, also.

However, I am content regard it as an extension of the brand, as it's central premise clearly follows on from that of TSL - the appearance of the 'true' Sith Empire.
 Miltiades
10-25-2008, 9:57 PM
Yeah, I guess BioWare & LucasArts view it as a true sequel... set 300 years after TSL. The Old Republic, however, is a huge Era, and while it is the continuation of the story that ended in TSL, I don't think it's really part of the metaseries of KotOR.

It must be said, though, that the story that was introduced in TSL, the one about the True Sith, is picked up in TOR.

As I see it, the 300 years between TSL & TOR can still be filled with true KotOR media, such as comics and novels.
 LordOfTheFish
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't view it as a true sequel, but that's just me. I guess in a way it kind of is, than again... not really.
 adamqd
10-26-2008, 8:55 AM
It's not a sequal, for better or worse. Jedi Knight isn't a sequel to ROTJ. The Old Republic is an era not a franchise.
 Ztalker
10-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Of course it will be a sequel! But only for the people willing to dig deep enough. Or, like the producers said: "We don't want to slap new players with Kotor and TSL stuff around the ears."

To link this to WoW:
-Everyone who remember Warcraft 3 knows about the famed scene in which Arthas succeeds his father.
-The blood trails and rose leaves that were in this seen can still be seen in the throne room of WoW. Amazing detail.

And since we will visit Manaan, Korriban I have NO doubt that several quests that would seem to be 'normal lore' for new players would turn out to be exciting links to the Kotor and TSL stories for 'us' veterans. :)
 Miltiades
10-26-2008, 3:58 PM
And since we will visit Manaan, Korriban I have NO doubt that several quests that would seem to be 'normal lore' for new players would turn out to be exciting links to the Kotor and TSL stories for 'us' veterans. :) Probably. I would absolutely love such quests (or random lore). Ah, can't wait to visit the fish again. :)
 johnhawke
10-27-2008, 2:35 PM
Well its obviously a sequel, its based in the same universe. It links heavily to the last two games. What else defines a sequel?

I'm not happy they seem to killed off Revan's Char however, they kinda killed any chance for a Kotor 3 invovling finding revan. But o well.

Milt's right though old republic is a big era, it really didn't end til the middle of ROTS. the Old republic is 20,000 years old and theres 4000 years from Kotor 1 to ROTS.
Page: 1 of 1