Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will You Buy the Game? Yes Or No

Page: 1 of 2
 ReplicatorJade
10-21-2008, 6:44 PM
When the game is released(either by internet, pc or video game) do you think you will buy Star Wars: The Old Republic?
 Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 6:45 PM
Hell yeah, been waiting since EA spilled the beans in June or July or whenever it was. Even though we all should've known it was coming anyway.
 HK-42
10-21-2008, 7:05 PM
ill buy if there is no monthly fees and its not as cartoony as it looks.
 Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 7:06 PM

Might not be as cartoony (probably will be though from the pics), and you can bet that there will be monthly fees. Gotta support the MMO somehow, and EA ain't gonna give up any of its cash to do it.
 the-obiwan
10-21-2008, 7:07 PM

agree about the no monthly fees!!.
 Da_Man_2423
10-21-2008, 7:08 PM
How else are they gonna support everything that goes into something like this?

If it's as massive as they're hyping it to be, they NEED monthly fees.
 Jeff
I am definitely going to buy it. I currently play World of Warcraft so no way I can play both, I plan to try this for a month or two and if I like it enough, quit WoW.
 Razgriz1928
Yes.

Its going to completly erradicate Star Wars Galaxies from the face of the earth, and Sony will finally get there just desserts.

They must be in a panic over there.
 Ultimate Vader
10-21-2008, 7:10 PM
No. And there WILL be monthly fees. Believe me.
 Jeff
10-21-2008, 7:13 PM
No. And there WILL be monthly fees. Believe me.I don't doubt it.
 SW01
10-21-2008, 7:20 PM
Uncertain. There are various attractions and put-offs in this project for me.

Attractions:
-Finally, a new game...:xp:;
-may be interesting to run around as a SW character with fellow LF patrons;
-Some interesting aspects - such as character creation, and the option to be something other than sabre-twirler.

Put-offs:
-Inevitable monthly fee (although this will be dependent upon the figure released);
-Story concerns - I find it hard to imagine how it will be properly implemented;
-24hr players that advance quickly - I know there is some name for this, but I have heard others who have complained that getting constantly squashed by high-level characters when one has just joined can be off-putting.

Once I read more (and see more about it, I will be more prepared to make a decision. However, system requirements will be another grave concern.
 Razgriz1928
10-21-2008, 7:22 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/video/6199708/star-wars-the-old-republic-revealed?hd=1&tag=topslot;watchlink;1)

They say that the MMO broke alot of boundries that they wouldn't have been able to do with KOTOR 3. They said that it was like making KOTOR3-12. Im excited. I've been waiting for a New MMO, since me quiting Star Wars Galaxies.
 TheSithEmperor
10-21-2008, 7:47 PM
It's going to be fun, If they keep their promise with the storyline, choices and don't just make it a WoW-clone, I'm ****ing sick of WoW clones. WoW is **** it's popularity is damaging other MMOs because devolopers can cash in easy using the WoW forumula.

Oh and Going to Join the Sith Empire, become a sith lord! and wipe the pathetic jedi from the face of the galaxy....... :P
 Pikmin
10-21-2008, 9:00 PM
I will purchase this game. I mean come on It's Bioware.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 9:11 PM
They said the wait is over. What were they talking about?

They certainly didn't mean the wait for the next KOTOR because this in not it! This is NOT it!

If Lucasarts seeks to kill off KOTOR with this, I will not feed their pocketbooks. When KOTOR III comes out, THEN the wait is over.
 Swanea
10-21-2008, 9:15 PM
I sure cannot wait.

I think its silly to totally disregard a game because its not "KotOR 3". It being made by bioware is a HUGE++++. Just because it is an MMO means the game cannot be fun?

I do think it is a little...weird, to already dislike a Star Wars game because its not KotOR3. I understand you may not like OTHER mmos...

Besides, its a period of KotOR. This excites me MUCH more than a single player game that is totally restricted by being offline at all times.
 ReplicatorJade
10-21-2008, 9:29 PM
I think Darth_Yuthura.

I mean, they spread rumors saying it was a new Kotor project. But its not. Its years later, with a new storyline. What happen hundreds of years back isn't gonna be very important to the story obviously.
Revan's time is like ancient history.

I'll admit, the art that they've released really makes the good look very advanced. But thats not what Kotor was. It was of the ancient times.

This story seems to bring the old times to the end.

The wait will not be over until Kotor III is released! Until Revan is back and we have those questions she asked during Kotor II resolved.
 Taos
10-21-2008, 9:31 PM
I'll be pre-ordering it! :D
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 9:43 PM
I'll be waiting and patiently watching how this one fares story and gameplay-wise. Will it be a good experience to a KotOR player expecting a KotOR-like playthrough? If the right source answers 'yes', then monthly fee or not, I'll be the first on the queue to buy/download this thing, or stealing a copy, whichever is faster.

Since dreaming is still free.

Putting my head back between my shoulders, the thought that no matter how hard you try, you can't crush the Republic or the Empire, or reduce the Jedi/Sith Orders to ashes is... *sigh*.
 Ultimate Vader
10-21-2008, 9:48 PM
Money, money, money. Monthly fees = big O for TOR.
 Nedak
10-21-2008, 9:57 PM

it's PRE-ALPHA

Geez people
 Char Ell
10-21-2008, 10:06 PM
They said the wait is over. What were they talking about?

They certainly didn't mean the wait for the next KOTOR because this in not it! This is NOT it!

If Lucasarts seeks to kill off KOTOR with this, I will not feed their pocketbooks. When KOTOR III comes out, THEN the wait is over. Sorry but it seems to me that LucasArts commissioned this game in the stead of KotOR 3. I watched the Gamespot video for TOR and this is what Tom Nichols had to say:
"There are a lot of reasons why we decided not to do KotOR 3 and why we decided to do this as an MMO instead.
First of all I think that the storytelling that was behind the KotOR franchise is very applicable to doing an MMO so there's no reason to just limit it to a single player experience. There is a lot of potential in opening it up to the MMO wide audience experience."
Tom Nichols, LucasArts Executive Producer Prior to today's announcement I really thought they wouldn't be positioning this as a direct successor to KotOR and I have mixed feelings about this but it seems like KotOR 3 either isn't going to happen or isn't going to happen any time in the foreseeable future.
 Prime
10-21-2008, 10:23 PM
ill buy if there is no monthly feesAnd I LULed.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. Crazy, I know.
 Darth_Yuthura
10-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I think Darth_Yuthura.

I mean, they spread rumors saying it was a new Kotor project. But its not. Its years later, with a new storyline. What happen hundreds of years back isn't gonna be very important to the story obviously.
Revan's time is like ancient history.

I'll admit, the art that they've released really makes the good look very advanced. But thats not what Kotor was. It was of the ancient times.

This story seems to bring the old times to the end.

The wait will not be over until Kotor III is released! Until Revan is back and we have those questions she asked during Kotor II resolved.

Exactly! The fact that this is of that era, but removes from the contents of the first two games, this is NOT to be regarded as KOTOR, but it is portrayed that way.

I have NO issue with the gameplay, but the storyline. Set this game to 5-20 years after the original KOTOR and I'll be on it no matter what. I want lucasarts to realize that they must correct the timeline to the plot before they worry about gameplay.
 Ctrl Alt Del
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
^ The point you're forgetting is that this is TOR, not KotOR. They're not obliged to continue the story.
 True_Avery
10-21-2008, 10:50 PM
I have NO issue with the gameplay, but the storyline. Set this game to 5-20 years after the original KOTOR and I'll be on it no matter what. I want lucasarts to realize that they must correct the timeline to the plot before they worry about gameplay.
Considering they've already written the story out completely, started on the game, and have announced it...

Yes, 300 years is awhile. However, we still know little details about the story beyond that, and it could knit itself together nicely. The time gap gives them time to separate characters and possibly remove the two Mary Sue characters that K1 and TSL created.
 Meowster
10-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Eh.. though perhaps it is still too early to say, it looks promising to me. As long as the monthly pay is not too steep, I will most likely buy it.
 Sabretooth
10-22-2008, 2:20 AM
Yeah, I'll definitely try this. Star Wars is always good for me and made by BioWare will be even better! :D

I'm really impressed my the concept/story and all, so I'll give this one a shot when it comes out.
 Astrotoy7
10-22-2008, 2:25 AM
Im not sure if I will be buying this, as cool as it could end up being...

I dont like monthly fees simply because I am not a regular player of anything, let alone time intensive games.

plus, Im an antisocial bugger, I like those MMOs where you can get AI characters to join your posse and wreak havoc.(like Guild wars).

...They dont whine, always turn up, and dont develop secret crushes on you(or vice versa) :xp: Also, given my location and time zone, its unlikely Id meet up with most of the folk from around here anyway...bleh :p

mtfbwya
 True_Avery
10-22-2008, 2:28 AM
plus, Im an antisocial bugger, I like those MMOs where you can get AI characters to join your posse and wreak havoc.(like Guild wars).
Well, from what we've heard they claim there will be NPC companions following you in the MMO sort of GW style.

The extent to that, however, is still unknown.
 EnderWiggin
10-22-2008, 3:28 AM
Really depends on the cost and whether or not the videos look good to me, at this point.

_EW_
 leXX
10-22-2008, 4:15 AM
I said yes because I really don't see how I'll be able to resist this game, but I really don't want to become addicted to another mmo like I did with WoW. =/
 GonkH8er
10-22-2008, 4:51 AM
I'll be there with bells on... and probably not much else.
 Hayden Kered
10-22-2008, 4:53 AM
For me I'm not sure. I am mostly concerned about monthly fees!
 ReplicatorJade
10-22-2008, 5:30 AM
Im not sure if I will be buying this, as cool as it could end up being...

I dont like monthly fees simply because I am not a regular player of anything, let alone time intensive games.

Yeah, that's one reason I know I won't get it. I'm not a serious gamer. I don't like spending tons of hours a day in front of a screen. I get pretty busy with working on my projects that I enjoy doing way more then video games.

I like getting to a game when I feel like it. Not to fit in with a bunch of other peoples scheduels. Especially with the time differences.
 DarthMaulUK
10-22-2008, 5:45 AM
Personally, if it clones Warcraft - then I probably won't be buying it. I find the current batch of MMOs just so uninspiring. The one thing that helped kill off Galaxies - before NGE - is the lack of content. Content is king!
 Rinku
10-22-2008, 7:04 AM
I'll buy it as long as it comes out for Mac. If not, then well I will kind-of have to buy an intel Mac (hopefully a new Macbook Pro, if they come out with one) and then buy Crossover and then buy the game...But I still like the idea of a new game especially an MMO
 Ztalker
10-22-2008, 7:24 AM
Bioware.
Bioware makes
Very nice Games
I needs to buy
Bioware

(Poetry...love it or hate it. Believe this is called an 'elf')
 Prime
10-22-2008, 9:56 AM
They said the wait is over. What were they talking about? The wait to see the future of the KOTOR gaming franchise. You now have your answer.

They certainly didn't mean the wait for the next KOTOR because this in not it! This is NOT it!Yes it is.

If Lucasarts seeks to kill off KOTOR with this, I will not feed their pocketbooks. When KOTOR III comes out, THEN the wait is over.Keep fighting the good fight! :)

Revan's time is like ancient history.That's the best thing they could have done. We get away from the Revan fanwankery and we also don't have l33t d00ds mucking up the original storylines. I'm all for the new sandbox. And frankly I would have been for that if it had been SP as well.

I'll admit, the art that they've released really makes the good look very advanced. But thats not what Kotor was. It was of the ancient times.Too bad the screenshots don't make it look advanced at all. :(

Well, from what we've heard they claim there will be NPC companions following you in the MMO sort of GW style.

The extent to that, however, is still unknown.That is pretty much going to be the make or break for me I think. How much can I avoid interacting with people I don't want to?
 Char Ell
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
That is pretty much going to be the make or break for me I think. How much can I avoid interacting with people I don't want to? QFE

I don't want to have to rely on teaming up with others to advance my character and experience the content. I want to be able to play on my own terms for the most part and may not be able to work out a time to go raiding with people I want to actually raid with.
 Christos K
10-22-2008, 10:21 AM
I will probably try it but there is no way my Desktop or Laptop will be able to handle (Considering it will be atleast some what as good as games today) SO I am hoping for an X360 release too so that X360 users can play with PC/Mac users. There is a chance it wont be PPM (Pay per month) I mean as far as I am concerned and as it is the truth this game might be competing with Guild Wars 2.
 SW01
10-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I will probably try it but there is no way my Desktop or Laptop will be able to handle (Considering it will be atleast some what as good as games today)

This is a major concern for me too, but apparently there was some mention in yesterday's presentation of it being able to perform on a vareity of system specs. What precisely that range is remains to be seen, but I live in hope that it will run alright on TSL-type minimum graphics specs (i.e. what I have at the moment!:xp:)
 Ztalker
10-22-2008, 10:30 AM
The wait to see the future of the KOTOR gaming franchise. You now have your answer.
*snip*

Too bad the screenshots don't make it look advanced at all. :(

That is pretty much going to be the make or break for me I think. How much can I avoid interacting with people I don't want to?

QFE

I don't want to have to rely on teaming up with others to advance my character and experience the content. I want to be able to play on my own terms for the most part and may not be able to work out a time to go raiding with people I want to actually raid with.

Well, I already sort of though about this...
GW had this problem. Everyone had the same heroes, so it was awkward to see one's twin brother.
What if TOR does this differently?
-You get a soldier companion. Looks, like gender, face and armour are randomised and so is his/her name.
-You get a Droid companion. Simple: different colour, different series number

You will then eliminate the stupid twin brother thing Guild Wars had. Also, since they are randomised, they belong to you, story feel is enhanced.

About the screens:
The 1-up live blog asked if this was pre-alpha footage. It was.
http://www.heroengine.com/charsys.asp)

See? It's a VERY cartoony engine. Bioware will need time to tweak this to their needs. Like the oversized lightsabers. I remember how Guild Wars and WoW (to some extend) looked in their alpha's and beta's. Better take a look at the concept art or website art. It's where Bioware is going, not where they start.

Anyways, I like the style. Big shouldered Jedi...kinda cartoony. Quality isn't that good yet though :)
 adamqd
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I will be playin this hell yeah, not certain it's how I wanted it... but I must
 Web Rider
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
If it is affordable, and looks interesting, yes. But right now I'm betting on: no.
 Titanius Anglesmith
10-22-2008, 1:38 PM
It really depends on how and how much I'll be paying and whether or not I think the story/gameplay look good. Right now, I can't make a judgment on either of those things.

Yea, I'm disappointed that this isn't a single-player KotOR III, but that doesn't meant I can't have fun with it.
 Burnseyy
10-22-2008, 1:56 PM
Yes! Because it's still based in the old republic and it's a Star Wars game...

I'm not going to get all beaten up and annoyed about 'no continuation from KOTOR' - I like the idea. :)
 CrisG
10-22-2008, 2:16 PM
YES of course. I loved the KoTOR prequels, and formats for games change, and improve over time, MMO's are an improvment and offer vastly larger horizons than a SP game can, and we can be very very grateful to both LucasArts and BioWar they both listened to us and all the fans who asked for years for more of the SW and also the Knights of the Old Republic themes.
 Jason Skywalker
10-22-2008, 2:37 PM
Maybe. Probably not.
 golddon
10-22-2008, 2:48 PM
When the game is released(either by internet, pc or video game) do you think you will buy Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Heck Yes. after starwars galaxies downfall, must be improvement elsewhere.
Page: 1 of 2