Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Underwater Battles

Page: 2 of 2
 Bokken
03-14-2009, 11:25 AM
If you want lightsaber combat, there are tons of other games. If you want Jedi vs. Infantry action, there's SWBF2. You can just stick to that once SWBF3 comes out.
 Darth Eclipse
04-28-2009, 6:34 PM
Corrected.

The thing is, that SWBF is a SHOOTER GAME!
That's right.

Guns.
Shooting.
Jawas.

You play as a no-name grunt, fighting no name grunts in the Star Wars Universe. Do you know how many games exist that have you playing as a Jedi and pwning? Almost all. Why can't the other aspects of the universe be depicted in a reasonably interesting way. Hell, Republic Commando was so popular that it got a book trilogy.

Other games show Jedi in a far more interesting light rather than "hold down the attack button and kill people by walking into them". Force Unleashed and KOTOR are particularly spectacular examples, and in BF2 especially they stand out and dominate far too easily, to the point that it feels more like I'm waiting to take my turn as Darth Maul, rather than concentrating or caring about learning to play properly.

As for non-jedi heros, they're amusing, but they're not interesting enough to really make a difference compared to getting the elite weapons(and I'm discounting General Asthma in this argument) and they're more fanservice than anything IMHO.

What I really want to see is the K.I.S.S principle taken to a logical conclusion: make a game indepth not by adding complication, but by making the individual classes all the more satisfying to play as.

I don't like SWBF 1 heroes because they were almost invincible.
 M@RS
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't believe SWBF 1 had playable Heroes.
 LordJhredmo
04-29-2009, 1:09 AM
It didn't. I felt it was best just to pretend he didn't post... -_-
 Bokken
04-29-2009, 10:22 AM
True, only the AI could get them, but they were still very hard to kill.
 Darth Eclipse
05-16-2009, 8:06 AM
I don't believe SWBF 1 had playable Heroes.

I never said they had playable heroes in SWBF 1! I said that they were almost invincible (and they are) but I never once mentioned them being playable.
 M@RS
05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I never said they had playable heroes in SWBF 1! I said that they were almost invincible (and they are) but I never once mentioned them being playable.

Who said I was quoting or even talking to you?
 Darth Eclipse
05-24-2009, 4:59 PM
Who said I was quoting or even talking to you?

Good point... :D
 CrownStar
06-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Water gets shallow, why would it have to be in only deep water? What if a land level had an area where you fought underwater.

That would be nice if that happened, actually. Because I can see if it's solely underwater, things can get empty and a bit boring in the long run, like the space battles from BF II. So I like that idea of land and water combined. But maybe underwater there would be only a couple of CP's, so that the battle would be balanced instead of people focusing solely on land only...or water only.
 LordOfTheFish
06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The only problem with this is that the clones, empire, and rebel factions cant breath underwater, and I doubt the droids could function that well. They would need to design a new unit with a breath mask that could play on both water and land terrains.
 CrownStar
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah, some Unit that could. And I wouldn't suggest they make vehicles for traversing underwater. If they do that then the place shouldn’t be at all that large. If one side is larger than the other, one side will attract more attention either way.
 Bokken
06-01-2009, 12:16 PM
All they really have to do is reskin the units to make them aquatic and say that they have mouthpieces.
 Darth Eclipse
07-24-2009, 3:13 PM
All they really have to do is reskin the units to make them aquatic and say that they have mouthpieces.

Yeah lol.
 jondavis
07-29-2009, 4:01 PM
This is why the game needs other playing kinds.
Mon Calamari and Gungans can breath under water or at least stay under much longer then humans. Underwater playing would make a great escape when someone is chasing you.
There are many underwater vehicles also but most of them are not Empire or Republic ships.
I'm for it but we might need a cool under water battle in the Clone Wars or something to show us some weapons to fight with.
Page: 2 of 2