Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best video game console generation?

Page: 2 of 2
 assassing3
09-23-2008, 12:51 AM
to play console games online you need a pc so whoever said xbox live and ps3 becuase of there online :lol:

now i vote for the 5th gen it was my favorite kicking back playing the
N64:legend of zelda ocarina of time, WWE no mercy the best wrestling game of its time , star wars rogue squadron (got me loving starwars)

Playstation : the best final fantasy games ever FF7 and FF8 , Breath of fire
i still play those RPGs(it brong the first successful use of Disc in gaming)which brings us to these great games with graphics
the cinamatic scenes that make you play games more (this was the first time we saw them)

the replay value on the above consoles was astouding there are days when i dont even use my 360 i play my 64

now dont get me wrong i love my 360 to death and the games coming out for it are beautiful
wii is for kid/familys (i dont play video games for my family to play with me i play them so they will leave me alone)
and this new way of gaming sucks i dont want to move and play
i want to set in my chair eat Sunchips and drink my Can of Sprite
and assassinate people (assassins creed) or blow you to pieces (GTA IV)
 aarathy
09-23-2008, 4:25 AM
In my opinion,best video game console generation is the current that is 7th generation. The consoles in this generation has several features like good graphics, good games, good gameplay, light, very energy efficient, Durable,fast loading times, reliable etc.
 Chevron 7 locke
09-25-2008, 6:33 PM
I gotta go with the 6th generation as i have never played the 7th generation
 Revan 411
09-25-2008, 9:53 PM
The 5th gen was awesome! The days back when there was still a N64, and a PS1, and everything. The games were also a lot more fun that time too. It was, and still today, pretty much the best video game gen ever.

The one we have today however sucks. Company's focus too much on Online play, and too much on graphics, that they don't care about the story or plot at all. A example would be, Halo III, Call Of Duty 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, and a few others.

The originals will always live on...
 Boba Rhett
09-26-2008, 1:16 AM
In my opinion,best video game console generation is the current that is 7th generation. The consoles in this generation has several features like good graphics, good games, good gameplay, light, very energy efficient, Durable,fast loading times, reliable etc.

Allow me to point out how you're completely wrong on every aspect you listed. If you don't feel like reading, just jump to the last sentence.

Each and every generation had "good graphics".

Each and every generation had good games. Some even had great games.

Each and every generation had good gameplay.

Aside from the Xbox, All previous generations were much lighter than the current generation.

The power requirements for the last few generations have been ridiculously high compared to older ones.

RROD. Fans also go out on the Wiis and the PS3 controllers tend to drop signals occasionally. Oh yes, and RROD.

Average load times in general have done nothing but go up.

Again, RROD.

In short, you just God Failed and I am sad because of it.
 Great Scott!
09-26-2008, 9:48 AM
Although you make good points, you're not entirely correct.

Not all generations were lighter, it really depended on the console. The NES was definitely heavier than the Wii or the Gamecube, and the 360's lighter than the original Xbox.

I play Wii all the time and have never "dropped signals."

Also, load times for the most part are way better than they used to be (not counting cartridge games of course). I'm sure you have fond memories of playing the Playstation or the Dreamcast, but what you don't remember is the long ass waiting periods because of how awesome they seemed at the time.

Otherwise, you are spot on.
 Jae Onasi
09-26-2008, 10:26 AM
How much faster load time can you get then plugging in an Atari cartridge and it works immediately?

But hey--the opportunity to have a lightsaber duel with my kids with Force Unleashed on Wii is major win.
 Boba Rhett
09-26-2008, 12:15 PM
You're right about the NES, Great Scott. I've been really frazzled all week; can't believe I missed that.

I meant the PS3 controllers actually. The Wii controls have been pretty good to me.
 tk102
09-27-2008, 6:14 PM
Haven't enjoyed any console to the same extent as Atari 2600 in its heyday and my youth.
 Serpentine Cougar
09-28-2008, 8:20 AM
Also, who didn't love 'Hey You, Pikachu'?
Uh...me....
 Great Scott!
09-28-2008, 8:51 PM
Hey, I got Hey You, Pikachu! for my tenth birthday. :( I played it for hours upon hours.
 Justus
10-07-2008, 9:37 AM
I experienced the 2nd generation onward, however I would have to say that the current generation is the best. Although I do get rather nostalgic for the old days every once in awhile, but still the current gaming scene is quite impressive. I have to say it was difficult, because I have a lot of really great memories especially with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations.

I've had a great time in each console generation though.
 Lynk Former
10-12-2008, 12:13 AM
I voted for the 7th generation.... for a VERY good reason.

The 7th generation allows you to play games from previous generations... a lot more so than previous generations.

With my Wii, I've been playing some damn fine games from the 3rd generation onwards, as well as enjoying the 7th generation games.
Page: 2 of 2