Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best video game console generation?

Page: 1 of 2
 Rogue Nine
09-13-2008, 9:50 PM
Best in terms of overall effect on the industry, availability and selection of games, innovations, quality of product with respect to era, etc etc...
 LordOfTheFish
09-13-2008, 10:00 PM
7th, no comparison.
 Litofsky
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Having only experienced the 5th Generation and onwards, I cast my vote for the 7th Generation. The detail projected by some of these consoles are simply amazing. Not to mention the fact that some of the best-selling games of all time are for the newest consoles/new generation.
 Giant Graffiti
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Third, it brought it back from the icy depths of the abyss.
 LordOfTheFish
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
The 3rd definitely was a good time for the industry, but the depth of the 7th generations are simply amazing.
 Inyri
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
SNES for the ultimate win.
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Any that's not the current one.

More especifically, the last gen (128 bits) is one I'm very fond of. The fact that the PS2 dominated it completely isn't at all bad (in fact, it was a safe bet to all gamers, genre notwithstanding). On the other hand we saw the fall of SEGA and the rise of - even with a not so good start - Micro$oft on the consoles scenario. The Gamecube was the repetition of Nintendo's strategy on unsuccessfully trying to predict the gamers wishes (the gamers don't want internet, the gamers do want connectivity with their handhelds). Althought the company seems to have scored with the Wii on this generation, their direction still bugs me a lot - along with a queue of hardcore gamers.

16 bits generation was also sweet. Many of my favortie games date from this era, and the war between SEGA and Nintendo was priceless (Genesis and Super Famicom/Nintendo), which provided the audience with brilliant after shining game.

32 bits was smooth sailing to Sony. Both classics appeared on the PS then (Metal Gear Solid) as well as crappy products (someone cared about Robo Pit?)

64 bit is a very particular gen. Of course, the N64 had the way clear for it to shine. Although it did cost Nintendo some money-maker franchises (Final Fantasy) due to the inexcusable use of cartridges, some of the most popular and good games of all time showed up then (Zelda).

I'm leaving the other generations out of this. Their importance is well-known to me, but, overrally, those aforementioned ruled above them.
 The Betrayer
09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
6th gen. Seeing beautiful 3d games=mindblowing.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
09-13-2008, 10:27 PM
5th generation. Some of my favorite games of all time (OoT, Goldeneye to name a few) are for the N64. The games for current generation consoles are pretty boring, they're mostly knock offs of each other or are for PC.
 Jeff
09-13-2008, 11:04 PM
I also think the 5th is the best, I had Playstation and I played the hell out of that thing. I'm not sure how I would rank the rest of the generations, each has good and bad points. The 4th was my first exposure to console gaming with Genesis and I really loved that thing. The 6th I had Xbox and enjoyed it alright, and it was definitely a huge step up in terms of graphics from the 5th generation. The current gen is sort of hard to say. I have the Wii and really like it and have some great games, but there is so much unused potential from the developers I think. And a lot of games for Xbox 360 and PS3 seem to sacrifice gameplay for graphics.
 SW01
09-13-2008, 11:11 PM
I say 7th. My reaction on playing a PS3 game for the first time on an HD TV, after years with the PS2 on a dinky screen was something comparable to this::drop2:

The new consoles seem to have almost unlimited potential. Consider the graphical quality of the first-wave games, like Assassin's Creed (great...but admittedly rushed) against the best games PS2 had to offer towards the end. Make a comparison of TFU on the PS2 against PS3 - you'll see my point.
 swaaye
09-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't consider graphics very important, but that is not how most people see things.

I'd go with the 5th gen because it brought us 3D worlds and their gameplay. Comparing 5th gen to its predecessors shows you a huge contrast. Also among 5th's achievements was the first decent racing and shooter games on consoles. You saw gameplay enhancers such as passable physics simulation, analog control, force feedback, really good music in HQ MIDI and CD audio, FMV, etc.

6th and 7th gen are just revisions and enhancements to the 5th generation formula. Not much has changed aside from the online multiplayer aspect. Not that that's not significant, but it's not so much for me because I don't play any online multiplayer stuff.

It's hard to choose between the 5th and 3rd though because the NES took the world by storm. It revived gaming in a big way. I also think the Wii is significant and almost separate from 360/PS3 because it has found a new type of gamer, IMO.
 jrrtoken
09-13-2008, 11:26 PM
I think the Wii is significant because it has found a new type of gamer, IMO.QFT

The Wii should have a generation of it's own, since one of Nintendo's goals for the Wii was to not directly compete with Microsoft and Sony, which usually ends up in more repetitive games and consoles. And that's why I love my Wii: it's outside of the box.

But really, the 3rd generation was the greatest. The NES singlehandedly saved the video game industry after the crash of '83, which made video gaming as we know it today possible.
 M@RS
09-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I was bummed that I didn't see PC but I voted for the 7th Generation, the graphics are awesome...
 GeneralPloKoon
09-13-2008, 11:45 PM
But the PC isn't considered a console, I like the 6th the best!
 Endorenna
09-14-2008, 12:35 AM
I started out with the original Nintendo (nvmind the fact that I started three or four years ago and that thing's twenty years old :rolleyes:), and once I got sick of Tetris and Mario Brothers I graduated to another old console: The Super Nintendo! Super Mario brothers got reeeeeaaally old reeeeeaaaally fast. Toy Story didn't hold me over for long either. (Boy, I played some stellar games, didn't I? :lol:) Then I broke down, got a PS2 with Battlefront 2 and Revenge of the Sith. A few months ago, I got a PS3 so I could play TFU (then they moved the release date from April to September :lol:), and I've decided that as much as I love my PS2, I have to vote for the current gen!
 Rogue Nine
09-14-2008, 12:57 AM
I was bummed that I didn't see PC but I voted for the 7th Generation, the graphics are awesome...
PC can't really be shoehorned into a particular generation because of how often hardware is updated, allowing for newer and faster games to be made constantly.

And how do you answer critics of the 7th generation who say that graphics are taking precedence over gameplay and story in modern console games? Sure they're pretty, but do they have any substance to them? And is that substance a product of current innovation or something that has been pioneered by a previous console? And if not, are the graphics really enough to make this generation the best one?
 Marius Fett
09-14-2008, 7:16 AM
4th Gen ftw!
 jrrtoken
09-14-2008, 9:48 AM
And how do you answer critics of the 7th generation who say that graphics are taking precedence over gameplay and story in modern console games? Sure they're pretty, but do they have any substance to them? And is that substance a product of current innovation or something that has been pioneered by a previous console? And if not, are the graphics really enough to make this generation the best one?Nope, this generation is far from the best. Truly, most of the games we have right now are really all based off of games released in the 5th generation, where 3D graphics were first being implemented. Almost every game in this generation has been touted fro it's graphics, with little focus on innovating the actual core gameplay. Take Crysis for example; the game was specifically developed for it's graphics, and although they are amazing, the actual gameplay is just another repetitive and tedious first person shooter. The same can be said for Gears of War; most of the media coverage of it has all been focused on the Unreal Engine 3, while truly, the gameplay looks almost identical to it's predecessor: a run and gun shooter. Yet another reason why I love my Wii: It's the gameplay, stupid, and that's all I really care about. Of course, the Wii has shown off some pretty graphics (Seriously, play Super Mario Galaxy. Ooh, shiny!), but really, the Wii was developed to innovate gameplay in video games, and I believe they've done so, which is something that I unfortunately can't say about Sony and Microsoft.
 ChAiNz.2da
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Toss up between 3rd and 4th (considering consoles are the question and not PC's ;) ).

While they may not have the best 'graphics' of other generations.. I by far had the most fun playing the games introduced in the era. I went through 2 NES systems because of playing it so much... but I have a fondness for the Sega Genesis too. :)

I voted for 3rd though since the NES got a more thorough workout in my house back in the day. All-day CONTRA / Metroid benders and Zelda FTW. :lol:
 Thrik
09-14-2008, 12:12 PM
There were so many games I loved in the 6th generation that I have to give it my vote, although nostalgia was seriously tempting me into voting for one of the previous three. :)

Games like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes (remake of 1), 2 & 3, all the first-party Nintendo titles (Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid Prime, etc), Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Beyond Good and Evil, and many more serious classics.

There've been some good games this generation, but it's far from having the sheer volume of high-quality titles that we saw last time. With that said, there's plenty of time to go.
 Great Scott!
09-14-2008, 1:33 PM
I'm gonna go with the third generation. Nothing more relaxing than playing an 8-bit masterpiece, NES controller in hand, under a cool fan.
 EnderWiggin
09-14-2008, 4:06 PM
I agree with Jaymack, and voted for the 5th gen.... but the 3rd gen comes in a very close second :)

_EW_
 M@RS
09-14-2008, 5:33 PM
PC can't really be shoehorned into a particular generation because of how often hardware is updated, allowing for newer and faster games to be made constantly.

And how do you answer critics of the 7th generation who say that graphics are taking precedence over gameplay and story in modern console games? Sure they're pretty, but do they have any substance to them? And is that substance a product of current innovation or something that has been pioneered by a previous console? And if not, are the graphics really enough to make this generation the best one?

No, I just said that the graphics are awesome but a lot of the newer games do have good plots but not as good as the older console ;)
 Rogue Nine
09-14-2008, 5:42 PM
No, I just said that the graphics are awesome but a lot of the newer games do have good plots but not as good as the older console ;)
...No, you didn't.
And I posed those questions to generate discussion, since most of the people voting for the 7th generation are only citing graphics as their reason. Way to not answer them.
 LordOfTheFish
09-14-2008, 6:03 PM
Graphics play a big part in a game to me. A good story line isn't good without descent graphics.
 Rogue Nine
09-14-2008, 6:05 PM
Graphics play a big part in a game to me. A good story line isn't good without descent graphics.
You epitomize everything I just said about 7th gen supporters. :rolleyes:
 Negative Sun
09-14-2008, 6:37 PM
5th generation. Some of my favorite games of all time (OoT, Goldeneye to name a few) are for the N64. The games for current generation consoles are pretty boring, they're mostly knock offs of each other or are for PC.
QFT, got my vote as well!
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-14-2008, 9:31 PM
Seems to me that the current gen is vastly overrated....

Just to clear things out on my last post, I go for the 6th gen.
 jrrtoken
09-14-2008, 9:38 PM
On second thought, I vote for the -1st generation: Anyone up for some table tennis? :)
 swaaye
09-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Maybe we should judge based on which generation had the best Star Wars games? ;)

In that case, hmmm, I'd have to go with either 4th or 5th. I like the Super Star Wars games on SNES a good bit. However, Shadows of the Empire on N64 was excellent, along with Pod Racer and Rogue Squadron.

On the other other hand, I think my fav Star Wars games are all on PC anyway. Shadows looks, sounds, and plays best on PC. Dark Forces/JK and the X-Wing games are only (or best) on PC. SW Rebellion is obviously PC only.... So, hmmmm...... Ya I'm afraid my best gaming memories are primarily on the PC.

I think the fact that 7th is getting the most votes tells us that the voters are generally new to gaming. I'm not sure how anyone could go gaga over the current console game libraries and very unsure of how this generation could be someone's favorite!
 SW01
09-15-2008, 3:17 AM
The Force Unleashed? :lol:

For best Star Wars, if not on PC I'd have to choose 6th gen. - PS2 Battlefront and Battlefront 2.
 Rabish Bini
09-15-2008, 4:45 AM
I'm gonna go with the third generation. Nothing more relaxing than playing an 8-bit masterpiece, NES controller in hand, under a cool fan.
Agreed, Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros. and Mike Tyson's Punch Out! were the most replayable game sin the history of mankind, besides WBC2.

3rd Gen FTW. Specifically, the NES, but the SNES is close.
 Hayden Kered
09-15-2008, 7:34 AM
I vote 7th the graphics rock! Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the old school consoles.
 Pho3nix
09-15-2008, 8:20 AM
I'm torn between fifth and sixth gen.

I voted 5th for the nostalgia though. <3 N64 & PS
 urluckyday
09-15-2008, 6:06 PM
This is the first genration that we actually have a choice between consoles w/ noticeable differences.
Wii: Obvious reasons...it's a new way to game
360: Best online service available w/ amazing graphics
PS3: Great graphics and free online (not nearly as good as Live though)

The choices are better than before...and the differences are more than just games now...that's why this is the best generation
 swaaye
09-15-2008, 6:12 PM
Well, I kinda think that the games are all that matters. What is so much better about today's console games? The only new thing going compared to older generations is extensive multiplayer. Is that all that matters now?

Is the newest generation most popular simply because the market keeps growing and is like 10x larger than it was 10 years ago? Think about it: there are fewer people to vote for the older consoles.

I think consoles were WAY more exciting back when they were an arcade counterpart. You had the arcades that were budgetless technology showcases. Then they'd try to port the games to the consoles and you'd see how it went. New and coming consoles were compared to the $10k arcade hardware. Arcades were also way more fun than today's chatroom gaming IMO. They were somewhere to go hang out and chat with fellow crazy gamer folk.
 Rev7
09-15-2008, 10:32 PM
I have only played the 5th onward. I remember when my brother gave me his PlayStation one year and that just started everything. It was pretty awesome.

I did vote for the 7th generation though because...the graphics have just gotten better and better. Awesome consoles.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
09-15-2008, 11:35 PM
NINER CHANGE MY VOTE TO 7TH GEN GRAPHICS OVERWHELMING OH GOD
 Serpentine Cougar
09-16-2008, 8:20 AM
If graphics were the only qualification, obviously it'd be the 7th gen, since it's the most recent. If the selection of games was the only qualification, I'd say the 6th gen, since it contains the majority of my favorite games ever (PS2 I love you!). But in terms of which one was best for the industry and pushing things forward, I'd say the 5th gen. It was the first one with real 3D graphics and kind of cemented in the well-known genres that we see today on consoles.

Interesting, no one likes 1st or 2nd gen; can't imagine why....
 Samuel Dravis
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Because only the tk was alive in those horrible days before you could have a supercomputer for a desktop.
 Litofsky
09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
And I posed those questions to generate discussion, since most of the people voting for the 7th generation are only citing graphics as their reason. Way to not answer them.

A bit late, but...

Truthfully, I'm not a real console gamer. Again, having only experienced the 5th Generation and onward, I voted for the latest one. Even there, I've only played a few games, but I enjoy those more than the ones from the 6th. Sure, the graphics are great, but the games I've played have a pretty decent story. It's all about your opinion.

Of course, the PC has a special place with me. I started using it when I was a few years old, and I haven't put it down since. :p
 SW01
09-18-2008, 6:15 AM
If sheer graphical quality is not enough justification (which, actually I agree with - too many good-looking games with no story), then I justify 7th as, first the generation with the greatest potential.

Of the games that I have played so far on PS3, I have been impressed by the graphics, certainly, but also the better storylines that are cropping up. Assassin's Creed - the first next-gen that I played - for all of it's flaws had brilliant graphics coupled with an engaging, evolving storyline.

GTA IV was, in my opinion, infinitely superior to its PS2 cousins, both graphically and in terms of story.

This was one of the failings for many - not all - games later in the 6th gen. I think it became more of a war for the best graphics that could be squeezed out of the console.
 K_Kinnison
09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
3rd or 4th gen. 16 bit systems One of the last times that game designers were limited by the hardware, and forced them to rely on gameplay over eye candy.

Re-playability was the key. heck, i was playing games on a TRS-80 back in the day and I was enjoying ASCII graphics based games written in BASIC because of simple decent randomness
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
This was one of the failings for many - not all - games later in the 6th gen. I think it became more of a war for the best graphics that could be squeezed out of the console.

Initially, yes. But the industry naturally matured after a time. That problem exists till today on the current gen, though.
 K_Kinnison
09-19-2008, 11:03 PM
I think the biggest tell is promotional trailers for videos games show more cinematics then gameplay. Which also makes more people buy the game for the graphics then playability. FFS i could buy an anime movie if all I wanted was to watch Eyeball popping computer graphics
 Boba Rhett
09-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Hmmmm, this is difficult. I have nothing but fond memories of my SNES though so I suppose I should choose that.

Those of you choosing based on "best graphics", are doing it wrong.*

So. So wrong.

Like worse than, "Epic Fail", wrong.

Like, I'm borderline physically disgusted by you.

Go to your room. :carms:

* = unless you limit the graphics pool to the consoles' set generation.
 stingerhs
09-20-2008, 1:18 AM
well, for me, it all comes down more to the games than the consoles. the most revolutionary games all seem to start with the sixth generation of consoles. the fifth generation was more about expanding the idea of a 3D environment, and thus the gamepay was never really that great with a few exceptions. if you think about it, a lot of games that we call "derivative" are all based around solid ideas and gameplay foundations that were introduced mostly in the 6th generation of consoles.

it was a fairly revolutionary time for the gaming industry, and outside of the Wii, it really seems to be nothing more than evolution ever since. still, the best games of today all had their roots somewhere, and you can trace most of them back to that 6th generation of consoles.
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-20-2008, 9:38 AM
well, for me, it all comes down more to the games than the consoles. the most revolutionary games all seem to start with the sixth generation of consoles. the fifth generation was more about expanding the idea of a 3D environment, and thus the gamepay was never really that great with a few exceptions. if you think about it, a lot of games that we call "derivative" are all based around solid ideas and gameplay foundations that were introduced mostly in the 6th generation of consoles.

it was a fairly revolutionary time for the gaming industry, and outside of the Wii, it really seems to be nothing more than evolution ever since. still, the best games of today all had their roots somewhere, and you can trace most of them back to that 6th generation of consoles.

I agree wholly with this statement.
 zelda 41
09-22-2008, 8:06 PM
Voted for 5th.
It was around the era I was able to play video games, basicly leading me into it's mindless-self indulgence. The N64 had some fantastic games (Super Mario 64, Zelda, Donkey Kong 64, etc), and I didn't really play the original playstation (except some Tomb Raider game).

Also, who didn't love 'Hey You, Pikachu'?
Page: 1 of 2