Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Reasons why you play Kotor over and over again?

Page: 1 of 2
 Knight Of Honor
08-29-2008, 9:24 AM
I imagine many of us do :) So what is your reasons?
 Da_Man_2423
08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
The game is fun. Duh!
 Burnseyy
08-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I actually don't know...

I mean the games fun, but I must have played it at least 20 times through!

Yeah, I'm addicted :D
 Giant Graffiti
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I've played it... twice. If it was an adventure game I probably would've played it more. :xp:
 Achilles
08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it has something to do with being a Star Wars game.
 mimartin
08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Gizka smashing!

At first I played it over and over to see how the different choices and actions affected the story line. Now I play it when a mod comes out I want to see or when I just want to visit some old friends. I play TSL more than KOTOR, but every once in a while I have to play KOTOR again.
 TKA-001
08-29-2008, 1:00 PM
Every once in a while, when a very large and reputable mod comes out, I give one of the KOTOR games a play-through, but not under any other circumstances. Strictly speaking, I don't play it "over and over" again, because the phrase implies not having breathing room.
 Revan 411
08-29-2008, 2:01 PM
I played KOTOR when it came out, the game was fun at first, but then I got bored of it fast, which was.... in December 20th 2004, when KOTOR II came out.

I stopped playing KOTOR I that time, and played KOTOR II, I had so much fun with KOTOR II, I had more fun with KII then KI.

So, I played KOTOR I about around... 10 times. I haven't played the game in a LONG time, I don't remember that much from it...
 Allronix
08-30-2008, 4:52 AM
The characters. Seriously, I put the game up for a while as I worked like crazy in another fandom, and got around to reinstalling it.

I forgot how much I adored Mission's good cheer and kind nature. I forgot how much I wanted to pull Juhani into a hug when she surrenders at the grove. I forgot how poetic Canderous was capable of being, and how Carth was really an honest, decent guy once he pulled his act together. I forgot how brittle Bastila truly was, and Vrook's gruff demeanor (though I heckled the screen with "Hey, I'm not gonna be the death of you - that's the OTHER GUY!")

It is a good, solid story. Classically Star Wars in in every sense of the word - epic scope, high adventure, pathos, romance, and humor. I forgot how much I missed it.
 HIGH ON PIE 14
08-30-2008, 3:50 PM
The game is fun. Duh!

QFT. :^:

~HOP
 Darth_Yuthura
08-30-2008, 3:51 PM
I like to go back and see what I missed the first time. Even after a dozen playthroughs, I still come across new content... or rather new to me.
 mattig89ch
09-18-2008, 1:47 PM
I still haven't gotten HK-47's conversation options. I've barely used him till this point. But i'm going to give it another play-through and use him as a main party member.
 Endorenna
09-18-2008, 1:57 PM
Oh, HK was a perm. party member once I got him!

I have no clue why I keep playing it. Maybe I just want to try out some of the other heads, I dunno...
 Great Scott!
09-18-2008, 2:38 PM
I never played through it and don't intend to. Just didn't appeal to me, and seeing how this whole place is basically a KotOR forum, I know everybody hates me now. :(
 Boba Rhett
09-18-2008, 2:48 PM
You're a horrible person.
 Giant Graffiti
09-18-2008, 2:53 PM
Just didn't appeal to me, and seeing how this whole place is basically a KotOR forum, I know everybody hates me now. :(
Nah. I never intended to play it, but then I received it as gift. (I thought it would be discourteous not to play it) I'm guessing you're here because it's currently the most active forum.
 Inyri
09-18-2008, 2:55 PM
That's what we like to call a "+1 post", where the poster clearly has nothing to contribute but posts anyway just to add a numeral to his post count. This is common among obsessive posters, younger posters, and posters with lobotomies. The only cure for this particularly devastating disease is to remove the afflicted user's post count and return it to zero (0).

-Doctor Iny
 Great Scott!
09-18-2008, 2:57 PM
I have it, played it a bit, and just didn't have fun. I know a lot of work was put into the game, and understand the large fanbase, but I don't really understand why it's like the most popular Star Wars thing to date.

When I said this whole place, I meant LucasForums as a whole because they seem to talk about KotOR modding and stuff more than anything. I just click New Posts to find out what's up and this thread title made me laugh. I'm not bashing it, I just don't get the huge deal over it.

Okay Inyri, so what exactly was YOUR post? :rolleyes:
 Inyri
09-18-2008, 2:59 PM
My post was humor. :)
 Ferc Kast
09-18-2008, 3:06 PM
You're a horrible person.

QFT. :xp:

Anyways, I play KotOR multiple times due to humor, killing-sprees, modding and, oh yeah, kill any "free time" I have. Though, just a couple days ago, I did my first full playthrough of the year. :p I mostly tend to "mod & go", due to bad habits. I almost forgot entirely about the revelation scene with Malak. As I thought when I first completed KotOR, it is still very enjoyable to me. :D
 Zerimar Nyliram
09-18-2008, 3:43 PM
Well, my number one reason is that I am a gigantic Star Wars fan, so I play my games over and over again and I love them. The second reason is all the modding capabilities. It's always fun to go back and re-experience the game with the newest mods I've accumulated since the last playthrough. It keeps the game semi-fresh.
 Feagildin
09-18-2008, 7:14 PM
It's fun, it feels like Star Wars, and you get to be Darth Revan and a play lightside all at once. Lightsabers are just cool. The game was made well, it is captivating and enjoyable.
 Blix
09-18-2008, 7:24 PM
Kotor was one of the first games I picked up for my Xbox back in the day (Circa 2004), and I can remember getting massacred by the Vulkers and Rakghouls my first play through, and having to retreat and toss frag grenades in order to pick up the win. I replayed the game for the same reason every other Kotor fan has; for fun, but to also play through as a different Class, or walk an alternate path (LS/DS).
 Sidias.R
09-19-2008, 7:35 PM
The reason why I play KoTOR is because of the modding part. Played and completed it too many times.
The reason why I play TSL is because I like the various things you can do here compared to KoTOR.

Guess we all have our reasons...
 Ascendant_Justice
09-23-2008, 3:32 PM
K1 has always been what kept me from replaying TSL, which I've only played through twice. KotOR is like a cycle for me. I'll stop playing it (usually after completing it), for about 4,5,6 months. Then, all of a sudden, I'll start getting that special feeling, and, after about a week of thinking about it, I'll pick it up and embark on another 60 hour epic. Thing is, whenever that special feeling kicks in, K1 is always just ahead of TSL in terms of nostalgic longing.

I think it's that I just enjoy K1's atmosphere and characters more than TSL, which is strange because I find TSL's characters more developed in certain respects. I guess I just like Bastila too much :p. The environments of K1 are certainly more appealing to me, as I find many of TSL's to be a bit uninspired. I think the "dark" atmosphere of TSL sort of sucks the ..well, life out of the environments you visit. In K1 the planets were all so different and colorful. TSL's just feel too dank and miserable for me to even want to visit them. K1 also feels more epic to me. While I appreciate TSL's attempt to convey a darker aftermath to the events of K1, I don't find it quite as gripping as its predecessor.

TSL's horrible flaws toward the end also keep me sticking with K1. I anxiously await Team Gizka, however. As soon as that comes out, I'll certainly be purchasing a PC copy of TSL. I'm positive they will enhance TSL to a new level of greatness.
 Pwnzor326
09-27-2008, 8:38 PM
I play Kotor because each time I play it I get a different adventure. I can be good one time I can be evil one time. I can have a lesbian relationship with a cat woman and I can insult fish people.
 Corinthian
09-28-2008, 7:36 AM
I don't. KotoR is a genuinely good game, but it's not Fallout. It's not Baldur's Gate. It's not Deus Ex. The game is linear, the characters aren't all that deep, the dialogue options are limited...I play through KotoR every few years. I think I've played through it thrice.
 TheExile
09-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Well, I don't replay it again as soon as I finish it...

If there's a good and big mod out, we'll I'll replay it!

Now I'm just waiting for TSLRP to come out :D
 Bastila Sham
10-01-2008, 6:24 AM
I must have played this game 30 times through. So many different DS/LS/NPC permutations to go through! I've had this game since '04 and only recently realized how much banter there is between Bastila and Carth. Always something new to discover.

TSL bites the big one. This game is so much better. It satisfies all my kotor needs.
 Chevron 7 locke
10-25-2008, 1:11 PM
Five times for each game. i had them for about two years before my graphics card went. each time i had a different mod. the reason? I love KOTOR...I love it so much...
 Yar-El
10-25-2008, 6:39 PM
Knights of the Old Republic was new and familiar at the same time. It was Star Wars in a way we have never experienced in gamming.
 Rev7
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
I guess that I just I have played it 20+ times because it is a fun game. You get a pretty good glimpse of what the Star Wars galaxy was like at that time. You learn a lot. It also has a pretty good storyline...

I don't think that I am addicted though. I haven't played KotOR in several months. I have had K1 & K2 for about 2 years...so ya...
 Chevron 7 locke
10-26-2008, 1:35 AM
Unlike you Rev...I am addicted to kotor. The graphics...the storyline...the heroes and the villians..the romance...the redemptions...it all makes a beautiful game that is really hard to stop playing. i played it for two and a half days straight once.
 mattig89ch
10-27-2008, 8:37 AM
While I can't boast that, I play it on and off. I like that its a game you can stop playing for like a month, and then come back to and know exactly where you are.
 mur'phon
10-27-2008, 4:20 PM
I'm with Corinth on this one, except I have only compleeted it once, probably has something to do with being unable to play LS.
 Haroth
10-28-2008, 8:18 PM
I'm really not a Star Wars person. Yeah, I watch the movies. Sure, I've played a few of the more popular games (Battlefront, Lego, Unleashed, etc.), but the franchise has never really wrapped me in to the point of obsession. KotOR is different. I don't know if its the d20 system, which appeals to the PnP geek in me, or if it's just the fact that I love Jennifer Hale to death. The story is intriguing, the characters have depth, and the plot twists for both games were original and pleasing. It might have something to do with Bioware, too. Second only to Square, I adore most, if not all, of their games. They're the only reason why I'd ever give the new MMO a chance. Whatever the reason, I can't help but indulge my occasional desire to play these games, whether I play it until the end, or I just finish Peragus and Telos.
 Lance Monance
10-28-2008, 8:43 PM
Star Wars and RPG. Best thing in life.
 Rev7
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Unlike you Rev...I am addicted to kotor. The graphics...the storyline...the heroes and the villians..the romance...the redemptions...it all makes a beautiful game that is really hard to stop playing. i played it for two and a half days straight once.
http://sajithbando.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/addicted.jpg)

Yes, my friend, you are. :nod:
 Chevron 7 locke
10-29-2008, 12:43 AM
That's right.:D
 plokoon87
01-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok, the reason that I play it is because it is like you are actually in one of George Lucas' movies (though Lucas didn't write this story I don't think). That is what is fun. That and just the fact that it is Star Wars and you can be a Jedi, who by the way, is tempted
 DeadYorick
01-15-2009, 6:55 PM
Ok, the reason that I play it is because it is like you are actually in one of George Lucas' movies (though Lucas didn't write this story I don't think).

Lucas didn't write the storyline of Kotor. One of the writers (I cannot remember his name at the moment) wrote the storyline

The entire look and feel of Kotor appeals to me the most. It actually does feel like a star wars movie. Down to the music and characters
 Fredi
01-15-2009, 7:53 PM
Well I think simply because it's a great game and because it's addictive lol
 shukkoku
02-01-2009, 1:45 PM
I played kotor many a time, because of the sheer fun of it. And isn't drew karpyshyn the one who wrote a lot of the story? well he wrote darth bane: path of destruction and darth bane: rule of two. which are amazing novels and i have read them both as much as i have played kotor, if you haven't haerd of them. Look them up
 GeneralPloKoon
02-01-2009, 4:40 PM
I like making new choices, seeing the outcomes, and creating a new character with his/her own backstory.
 Serpentine Cougar
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Lucas didn't write the storyline of Kotor. One of the writers (I cannot remember his name at the moment) wrote the storyline

Apparently (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/25/news_6092216.html), the writers of KotOR were David Gaider, Drew Karpyshyn, Luke Kristjanson, and Peter Thomas.
 Volar the Healer
02-03-2009, 6:23 PM
I play Knights of the Old Republic over and over again first and foremost because it is fun.

I've played it good, evil, as I would make the choices (realistic!? ...if such a word has any meaning in a Star Wars game), as a man, a woman, a Zabrak (mods can be fun). I've tried to make friends with all the NPCs, to make enemies of all the NPCs, to recruit a large party, to kill off as many party members as I can...

...just play with it to see what it can do. And I must admit, I'm pretty impressed with it. I think Knights of the Old Republic is better than The Sith Lords because it can be played good or evil. Even when I play The Sith Lords as a good guy, it still "feels" dark somehow. I can't explain it any better than that; it's just a feeling.
 justanother_strwsfan
03-12-2009, 1:42 PM
Apparently (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/25/news_6092216.html), the writers of KotOR were David Gaider, Drew Karpyshyn, Luke Kristjanson, and Peter Thomas.

I must admit I could have written a better script for Kotor, the only humor that was involved was with the droid.
 SW01
03-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I must admit I could have written a better script for Kotor, the only humor that was involved was with the droid.

I enjoyed the KotOR storyline perfectly well - that, alongside the customisation options, was one of the main reasons I kept going back to it.

And by 'the droid' I presume you mean HK?He's very amusing indeed, but I always thought Jolee was the best in that respect! Though, they all have nice comic moments...except T3 I suppose (in the first one).

As I hinted at there, one of the main reasons I still go back to KotOR is the customisation. When a new skin comes out, or a weapon, etc. I usually prefer to use it from the start of a new game or a very early save, to get some use out of it! Of course, the result is that I very rarely complete it, but that just ends the fun! :xp:
 The Silly Saber
11-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I've played KOTOR so many times... I don't even know how many anymore. The first time I ever played it, I was so completely blown away. I thought the graphics were gorgeous, the gameplay addictive and the characters endearing. There wasn't a single complaint I had about it at all... other than the fact that I couldn't have all of the "posse" with me at once and I had to choose who to come with me!

The first time I played as LS, then the second time as DS. Since then, I've fired it up on many occasions when there's been a new major mod that I really want to play, and sometimes just for laughs. Ages ago, I decided I was getting a bit old for gaming all the time and sold off/gave away most of my PC games. The only ones I couldn't bear to part with were KOTOR 1 & 2, and the King's Quest collection (on the possibly misguided principle that they'd be great fun/learning for my boys when they grew up).
 Darth Avlectus
11-19-2009, 5:15 AM
I guess to make some mods one day. Have some minor little things right now--nothing special or noteworthy enough to release to public.

The games are also just too awesome. K1 is the hero story with a familiar vader esque character, while 2 is that great mystery.

K1: Just legendary. If a tad more scripted.
K2: Still testing things out to see what random loot I get.
Page: 1 of 2