Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Stormtroopers

Page: 1 of 1
 DeadYorick
08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a question about Stormtroopers in the Empire's time and in the Imperial Remnant. How would a human male become a Stormtrooper? What sorts of steps would one have to take until he is signed onto active duty?
 Inyri
08-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Before it got blown up, there was an Imperial training academy on Carida (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Academy_of_Carida). One might assume it wasn't the only one.
 Rev7
08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Good question. My best guess would be that he would go to one of These (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Academy).

That is the best that I could do for you. :/
 DeadYorick
08-26-2008, 2:29 AM
Besides Academies. What would one do to attend an academy? Would one simply just go to a recruitment center and sign up then get shipped off to an Academy? Or would it be more complex?

Also I have another question. Were females admitted into the stormtrooper corps or was it just males?
 Rev7
08-28-2008, 6:41 PM
Well, you would probably do that because look at what Luke Skywalker wanted to do in A New Hope. He wanted to go to the academy.

I have googled it and come up with nothing. :/ Sorry.
 Inyri
08-28-2008, 6:44 PM
Besides Academies. What would one do to attend an academy? Would one simply just go to a recruitment center and sign up then get shipped off to an Academy? Or would it be more complex?I'm sure it works the same way as most countries' military forces. One applies.

Also I have another question. Were females admitted into the stormtrooper corps or was it just males?Women, like aliens, were not looked upon favorably by the Empire. Female officers were rare. One would assume that female grunts were even less common since women generally don't have the physical capability to compete with their male counterparts.
 Astor
08-30-2008, 2:47 PM
Also I have another question. Were females admitted into the stormtrooper corps or was it just males?

Females in the Imperial Forces weren't unheard of. But there was a definate glass ceiling for women. Admiral Daala only rose so high in rank because she happened to be having an affair with Tarkin, who pulled strings to make her an Admiral.

This is also true of aliens - that's why the few that did well are popular - they're different from the usual humans in the Empire.

After the Empire started to collapse, the rules were relaxed - women were allowed to join, as well as aliens. By the time of the Legacy Comics (130 years after ANH) Women and aliens could serve equally alongside men in both the Fel and Krayt Empires.
 machievelli
09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I have a question about Stormtroopers in the Empire's time and in the Imperial Remnant. How would a human male become a Stormtrooper? What sorts of steps would one have to take until he is signed onto active duty?

Regardless of comments made in the EU and ANH, training would not be that difficult. As an example it is stiil a precept of Marine training here in the US that everyone from the lowest grunt to the General commanding them is expected to be a rifleman first.

The Waffen SS were among the best trained troops in the world in their time, with an esprit de corps equal to any unit in history.

The main training, what we would call basic is to take that civilian and make him a soldier. Further schooling makes you even more efficient. The modern US army has two schools every grunt going into combat is supposed to go through; Basic and infantry school, and finally Advanced Infantry School.

As a Roman historian said, and our actual army-vs-army battles have proven in the last two decades, 'their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills'.
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-04-2008, 9:39 PM
Right at the begining of the last book of the Thrawn trilogy, the Grand Admiral is making an assault and eventual conquest of some planet. At some point, the leader of the planet asks what the terms will be, between them, forced conscription. Thrawn then answers that there won't be such a thing, since the secret cloning facility on Wayland had been found.

So there probably was forced conscription at the Remnant times, except maybe, during the brief period of hte secret cloning facility activity.
 vanir
12-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Okay now I'm running around resurrecting old threads. I'm bored.

The Stormtrooper Corps was a function of COMPNOR (Commission for the Protection of the New Order) and an elite member of the combat arm COMPForce. This correlates directly to the Allegemeine and Waffen SS of WW2.

Members were recruited from Core Worlds and had to be human. Quite some effort was placed towards recruitment by the Rebellion era, but as mentioned was restricted to core worlders and humans. During the selection process one headed in either of three directions: COMPForce assault troopers, regular troopers or Stormtroopers. All had excellent equipment and were devoutly loyal to the Empire.

The Imperial Academy is an entirely different kettle of fish and involved recruitment for the Imperial Naval Academy. Those that washed out generally got second placed to the Imperial Army (where you got to use speeders and small arms instead of starships and small arms). The position of prestige in the Imperial (Naval) Academy was TIE fighter pilot. Otherwise one could go career and eventually hope to command their own capital class vessel. The Imperial Academy, as opposed to COMPForce recruitment did so all across the galaxy, although again membership was restricted to humans.

There were two entirely different command structures for COMPNOR and Imperial militaries.
 Alkonium
09-09-2009, 8:03 PM

No. It was human men only until the Fel Dynasty, at which point, women and aliens could become stormtroopers.
 machievelli
10-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Besides Academies. What would one do to attend an academy? Would one simply just go to a recruitment center and sign up then get shipped off to an Academy? Or would it be more complex?

Every service has it's own officer's academy. The only one in the US that doesn't have one is the US Marines, because they go through Annapolis, the Naval academy.

Depending on the country, it can be by competitive examination, or by appointment. As an example getting into either West Point or Annapolis, you need one of three things; An appointment by a congressman or senator, Scores so high that turning you down would be insulting, or a Father who won the Congressional medal of honor. In the first book of WEB Griffith's The Corps a recently promoted officer has two sons, one of which enrolled in Annapolis as a Marine, the other in West Point also as a Marine.

There are also seven state operated facilities. All of these depended on competitive examination; if the cadet ranks needed 150 odd new officers that was the ceiling. Some officers from these lesser academies later became famous. George Patton graduated not from West Point, but from VMI, the Virginia Military Institute. Back in the 50s they made a movie with John Wayne about the 9th and 10th Cavalry making a long sweep ripping up infrastructure in the South and they faced the Cadet corps of the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy, started by of all people, William Tecumseh Sherman. The one thing they ignored making the movie, was these units were both black troops with white officers. One unit, the 10th remainded on active duty against the Indians in the west after the war, where they were known as the Buffalo Soldiers.

That Academy later Became Louisiana State University in 1869
Page: 1 of 1