Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Harry Potter vs. Lord of the Rings

Page: 2 of 2
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-30-2008, 1:58 PM
*blinks*

Truly. I don't care how badly written one or the other must be (in fact, neither are) but I just had more fun reading the non-pretentious HP. Which is exactly why the movies failed so miserably IMO.
 vader815
08-30-2008, 10:34 PM
the harry potter movies almost completely ruined the book series. i mean i understand that movies are going to differ from the book they come from, but come on... there is a line that should not be crossed if the movie is going to properly reflect the book (which i had assumed it was), not to mention the acting and the storyline in the movies were absolutely horrible until Year 3 (were it was promoted to just horrible)

so my vote is for Lord of the Rings, probably one of the best movie series i have ever see
 SW01
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM
When it comes down to it, The Lord of the Rings is considered one of the great literary achievements of the 20th century. It is a true epic, and a classical good versus evil tale. Harry Potter, by comparison, seems little more than a children's book. I applaud J.K.Rowling for encouraging little people to start reading again, but I don't think her work could ever hope to match, much less exceed, J.R.R. Tolkien's masterpiece.
 Rinku
08-31-2008, 7:22 PM
If you want a semi real challenge read The Silmarillion

I liked The Silmarillion :) it was a really good book.
But I am sorry Harry Potter has nothing when compared to LOTR. Harry potter was good for a while, but LOTR is a classic that can never get replaced or get boring.
 Drunkside
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
LotR challenging. :eyepop:rofl:

If you want a semi real challenge read The Silmarillion or for a real challenge the H.o.M.E. series.

Exactly, I read lotr when i was 10... And again when i was 12 and then once more when i was 14. And it was always the same to me:ubah epic story with all kinds of relations to the national stories of many countries. I have read HP once, and it was fun but kinda boring... But the best book EVER has got to be Musashi.... Read it about two years ago... Took me 8 days, and then re read the 1013 pages of pure gold in 5 days and yeah... YEAH!!!!!!!!
 CaptainLivewire
09-01-2008, 5:59 PM
Harry Potter because:
pretty good story
EMMA WATSON(I think I spelled it right)
 Darth Pvl
09-02-2008, 3:25 PM
LOTR for sure...
 DeadYorick
09-03-2008, 1:06 AM
I am not much of a fan of either. But if someone put a gun up to my head and told me to choose, I would choose Harry Potter. Mostly because I read the first book before I read the Fellowship of the ring and thought it was alright
 Astor
09-03-2008, 4:41 AM
I am not much of a fan of either. But if someone put a gun up to my head and told me to choose, I would choose Harry Potter. Mostly because I read the first book before I read the Fellowship of the ring and thought it was alright

Because gun-toting literary critic related crime is really on the up these days...

I will admit that Harry Potter has a much stronger marketing machine, but LOTR is still tops.
 Arбtoeldar
09-03-2008, 9:43 AM
LotR, we get the Silmarillion (Sp?) and the Lost Tales (Vol. 1 & 2), and the lay of Berlain (Sp?) and the Hobbit, and The Children of Hurin, and the other one in that series..... oh, yeah, we also get the actual Lord of the Rings.

But, look at the sheer history and depth of Tolkien's world compared to Rowling's, it's just... amazing.

So, obviously, my vote was for LotR.

@Ray: Boring? LotR is anything but... unless you can't get out of the first book of the Fellowship. :giveup:

The Lost Tales (Vol. 1 & 2) and The Lays of Beleriand are a part of the twelve book The History of Middle-earth series.
 leXX
09-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I love 'em both, but LotR has more class.

The Doctor
09-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Lord of the BoRings.

Lord of the Rings was just plain dull. Every single little detail in any of the three books is drawn out for pages and pages, without seeming to end. While this does lend itself well to film-making, I wasn't impressed with the movies, either. While they were decent films, sure, they're just plain not worth all the hype - not to mention three hours sitting starring at the same field from different angles and a handful of different castles. Not to mention the acting - every single time Frodo opened his mouth I wanted to throw something at the screen.

Harry Potter was much more imaginative, to be honest. And the movies had enough big names to make it worth going to see whether it was as dull and bland as LotR or not. Any movie with Robbie Coltrane or Maggie Smith has got to be decent; but a movie with both of them? I'm there.
 Boba Rhett
09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
So many things about that post upset me. I must go lay down.
 Serpentine Cougar
09-05-2008, 7:20 AM
... And the movies had enough big names to make it worth going to see....
And the LotR movies didn't?
 Agent_Katarn00
09-05-2008, 6:19 PM
LOTR totally owned Harry Potter.
The movies ruined HP and LOTR did very good with both.
No offense to HP fans but the LOTR the story had way more of a more of a enchanced story that actually did good with wizards.
HP is for 7 year olds,
I know some that even think HP that did not do well.
 Ctrl Alt Del
09-05-2008, 9:24 PM
I know some that even think HP that did not do well.

Extremely good for you.
 tk102
09-05-2008, 9:48 PM
I wasn't even thinking of the movies (and esp. not any actor) when I made this poll. They're derivative.

For one thing Harry Potter in my opinion is well...GAYLet's try to avoid using that term as perjorative. Thanks.
 Rinku
09-05-2008, 9:52 PM
I personally like the LOTR books more than the Harry potter movies (LOTR movies are best overall, the HP movies are only good to watch about once while the LOTR books can be read many times over), the HP books (for me) were interesting for a bit but then I would get bored. But that is just me.
 HdVaderII
09-05-2008, 10:24 PM
LOTR. The fantasy epic. End of story.
 LordOfTheFish
09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
The odds are against those who favor HP.

(told you so...*sticks out tongue*)

I mean seriously? LOTR rivals Star Wars as far as epicness (Word? I don't know) go's for me. If it weren't for the depth of the SW story I would probably be a LOTR kinda guy.
 M@RS
09-06-2008, 9:51 PM
LOTR is better than HP nuff' said...besides HP is just weird, and I love the detail in the LOTR books, the movies could've used better actors but were good nonetheless...
 Yar-El
09-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Lord of the Rings is my style. Knights, Hobbits, orcs, and hot elves. :lol: I have Liv Tyler on speed dial. :D
 M@RS
09-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Don't forget the bad lines, "If you want him come and claim him!" Come on, that's one of the worst lines in the movies...
 Dex Dakari
09-13-2008, 7:50 AM
Gandalf owns Dumbledore.

And Sauron is so cool, I like it how they made them in the prologue of LOTR:TFOTR
 Endorenna
09-13-2008, 6:49 PM
I'll admit, I've never seen or read HP. From what I've heard, even before I came to this forum...Lord of the Rings rules!

I didn't particularly like the books 'cause it was like: Yes, a battle! What, Boromir died! But he was my favorite character and...Aragorn, come on, that was such a LAME eulogy! Oh, lets look at the pretty white flowers on the hill as they spend eighteen days riding to Edoras...

You get the idea ;).

The movies were great! The battles were--over-used word alert--epic! Return of the King was just awesome, 'cept for the last fifteen minutes. :lol:

And yes, I did want to kill Frodo every time he opened his mouth. :lol:
 Cmdr. Cracken
09-13-2008, 9:01 PM
Lord of the Rings, for sure by a long shot.

The books are epic, the movies are epic. Potter books and movies are no means bad, but they don't have that overarching feel of epicness.
Page: 2 of 2