Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Harry Potter vs. Lord of the Rings

Page: 1 of 2
 tk102
08-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Which series is better? Why?
 Det. Bart Lasiter
08-25-2008, 12:11 AM
harry potter has luna lovegood. case closed mother****er :carms:
 GeneralPloKoon
08-25-2008, 12:27 AM
LOTR, a story as epic as Star Wars!
 HIGH ON PIE 14
08-25-2008, 12:29 AM

Damn right! And through her we have Nargles, Blibbering Humdingers, Gulping Pimplies, and the Umbungular Slashkilter, so Ha! :xp:

Though I love both LOTR and HP. :) They are so different, its so hard to decide...

~HOP
 Great Scott!
08-25-2008, 12:32 AM
LOTR, a story as epic as Star Wars!Definitely comes way closer than Harry Potter ever could.

The Hobbit beats both of their asses, but seeing as it's related to Lord of the Rings... yep, that gets my vote. I don't really care for either series too much though.
 stingerhs
08-25-2008, 12:50 AM
LotR just has a much more epic story. that and i really enjoy Tolkien's writing style over Rowlings anyways. Tolkien was always much more detailed, and that's what i love when i read.

the other big plus is that the LotR movies where just better all around than the HP movies (thus far). and regardless of how well done the next HP movies are, its going to take a monster effort to top Return of the King. there is no other movie out there that tops it in terms of how epic it is.
 Revan 411
08-25-2008, 12:58 AM
I love both series. They both have a lot of action to it, and they both have something interesting in them, and overall there both great.

But, I would have to say, Lord Of The Rings, why? Its not as childish as Harry Potter is, and has more a more mature theme.
 tk102
08-25-2008, 2:08 AM
I give big credit to HP inspiring children to read.

I give big credit to Tolkien for making me want to read. :D
 Pho3nix
08-25-2008, 7:01 AM
The Lord of the Rings because of the huge influence the books have had on popular culture and the fantasy genre in general.
 Drunkside
08-25-2008, 9:13 AM
LOTR... easily!
 ChAiNz.2da
08-25-2008, 9:27 AM

Oh yeah, well we have... uh, we have.... have uhhh... THIS!

http://www.jumpstationz.com/gallery/smeagol.jpg)

I give big credit to HP inspiring children to read.

I give big credit to Tolkien for making me want to read. :D
Cheers tk :cheers:
Same here... LOTR was a large part of my growing up, and reading challenge ;) And while I thought the Harry Potter was/is excellent in both books and movies.... it didn't have the impact LOTR had on me.

LOTR gets my vote.
 mimartin
08-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I went with Harry Potter, but only because I’ve actually read all the Harry Potter books. I tried reading LOTR when I was younger, but it just could not hold my interest. Enjoyed the LOTR movies, but the movies did not inspire me to pick up the books the way the “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” inspired me to read Harry Potter books.
 SW01
08-25-2008, 3:07 PM
I first started reading The Lord of the Rings at age 12, and couldn't put it down! Read it morning, noon and night - even brought it to school with me!

Harry Potter, to me anyway, is just far too childish. As a fantasy adventure story, it cannot hold a candle to the mighty LOTR! I'll take the wizards Gandalf and Saruman above Potter's little friends any day! :lol:
 HIGH ON PIE 14
08-25-2008, 3:41 PM
I went with Harry Potter, but only because I’ve actually read all the Harry Potter books. I tried reading LOTR when I was younger, but it just could not hold my interest. Enjoyed the LOTR movies, but the movies did not inspire me to pick up the books the way the “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” inspired me to read Harry Potter books.

I know what you mean, the LOTR books were good, but could have used some editing. Some chapters were like "Wow!" and others "Okay so they crossed a field, big deal." LOTR was much more complex, I mean Tolkein made up whole other languages like Elvish and dwarvish ands all that.

I found Harry Potter more entertaining, perhaps because it was simpler. I have reread both series numerous times, though I find the older I get, the more I appreciate the LOTR. Its hard to decide cause HP is meant to be a children series while LOTR is adult (though many children read and enjoy it) The LOTRs movies however are superior without question. :D

Meh, LOTR has Gollum...but HP has Dobby, who is close enough...and he can use magic. Luna kicks Gollums ass anyway. :D Even if he won, she would just call a Crumple Horned Snorkak to finish him off. :xp:

~HOP
 Marius Fett
08-25-2008, 4:52 PM
Lord of the Rings has Gimli.

He kicks the asses of ALL HP characters.
 HIGH ON PIE 14
08-25-2008, 5:34 PM
Lord of the Rings has Gimli.

He kicks the asses of ALL HP characters.

As long as he does not have to jump over a chasm to get to them. :xp:

Pigwidgeon could give him a run for his money though!

~HOP
 GeneralPloKoon
08-25-2008, 5:46 PM
Bwahahahahaha!!! Hilarious!
 Ctrl Alt Del
08-25-2008, 5:56 PM
Books:
HP > LOTR

Movies:
LOTR >>>>>>> HP
 Boba Rhett
08-25-2008, 6:40 PM
Books:
HP > LOTR

*blinks*
 LordOfTheFish
08-25-2008, 6:47 PM
LOTR! HP is a waste of life...
 tk102
08-25-2008, 7:06 PM
*blinks*

Maybe he meant "number of books" :p
 Rev7
08-25-2008, 7:27 PM
Neither.

Seen nor read either.
 HIGH ON PIE 14
08-25-2008, 7:35 PM
Neither.

Seen nor read either.

:drop2: You are missing out Rev! At the very least, you should see the LOTR movies. You don't even have to read the books to understand them.

~HOP
 Boba Rhett
08-25-2008, 7:59 PM
Neither.

Seen nor read either.

*blinks*

*dies*

*continues blinking*
 Jeff
08-25-2008, 8:40 PM
I think the LotR books are better than the Harry Potter books but I enjoy reading the HP books more. As for the movies, LotR by far. It's the only movie series based on books that I can say I like the movies as much as the books.
 Litofsky
08-25-2008, 9:16 PM
*blinks*

*dies*

*continues blinking*

I believe that the "continued blinking," Rhett, is known as postmortem twitching. :xp:

Anyways...

Lord of the Rings, easily. Harry Potter has inspired kids to read, but Lord of the Rings just has an amazing plot. Harry Potter is just, "Harry learns magic. Voldemort returns. Six times. Gawd. That was predictable. Not to mention the epilogue to Deathly Hallows was terrible- that brought the series down by an entire point for me.

LotR... LotR... That's all that need be said. It's Lord of the Rings!
 Serpentine Cougar
08-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I love 'em both, but LotR has more class.
 Hayden Kered
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
LotR...why? The stories speak for themselves!
 Pho3nix
08-26-2008, 6:38 AM
Neither.

Seen nor read either.

wat?
 Lantzen
08-26-2008, 7:21 AM
Think the Harry Potter is easier and funnier to read then LOTR, but LOTR have a much greater story to it. So in term of reading and rereading i actualy say Harry Potter, but in term of evrything else, story, movies, games and even universe they are in i say LOTR

Like someones said earlier, he loved the way Tolkien descripe evrything, i just find it irritating that it need to be one page descriping the area they are in. It take away from the action and the story that im intressing in, so thats why i will probaly never reread LOTR serie even when i think it's good

And i can't really choose one or the other, i want to take LOTR since it is a better story IMO, but not a story that i will read multiple times that i have been doing with Harry Potter. Hard to descripe what i mean in english, but hope someone get what im saying ^^
 Revan 411
08-26-2008, 9:49 AM
 Great Scott!
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
*blinks*Harry Potter's an easier read, but Lord of the Rings can be challenging for some people.
 nine.roses
08-26-2008, 6:38 PM
Harry Potter has some transparent characters I would like to throttle, and a style of prose that is clunky, basic and functional. This is fine for children's literature, but it's not exactly adult reading.

Lord of the Rings is on a whole different level (and so is the Hobbit, which could be more fairly compared to the Potter books). He didn't just use the English language excellently and intellectually (it is heavy going, I agree...), he also had to go and make another language to play with. The plot is also far more developed, and less linear and repetitive than Harry Potter.

I can see why Harry Potter is considered enjoyable and entertaining, and I'm thankful for the incredible positive effect its had on children's literacy and love for reading. But for a deep and intelligent story, Lord of the Rings has no equal: it's the big daddy of fantasy fiction.

And the films aren't half bad, either. :)
 M@RS
08-26-2008, 6:53 PM
I'd go with LOTR any day, it's got a better plot and funny characters too, I love reading the books :p
 Miltiades
08-26-2008, 6:58 PM
While I incredibly enjoyed the LOTR books, I grew up with HP and I haven't enjoyed any book or series of books more than I have enjoyed Harry Potter. If we're talkign about the movies, LOTR, hands down.
 Ferc Kast
08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Neither.

Seen nor read either.

Both.

Seen and read all.
 swphreak
08-26-2008, 11:29 PM
I'd have to say LotR. Minas Tirith owns Hogwarts in every way, and the Nazgul are much more badasses than Death Eaters.

Deathly Hallows spoiler:
Hogwarts coming alive in the movie could be pretty sweet. That would top the Army of the Dead from RotK.
 Arбtoeldar
08-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Harry Potter's an easier read, but Lord of the Rings can be challenging for some people.

LotR challenging. :eyepop:rofl:

If you want a semi real challenge read The Silmarillion or for a real challenge the H.o.M.E. series.
 Prime
08-27-2008, 9:47 AM
I love LotR above all.
 Ray Jones
08-27-2008, 10:03 AM
I kind of do not buy into both stories and must say they also appear rather boring to me.
 Rachel_Ewok
08-27-2008, 4:10 PM
LotR just has a much more epic story. that and i really enjoy Tolkien's writing style over Rowlings anyways. Tolkien was always much more detailed, and that's what i love when i read.

the other big plus is that the LotR movies where just better all around than the HP movies (thus far). and regardless of how well done the next HP movies are, its going to take a monster effort to top Return of the King. there is no other movie out there that tops it in terms of how epic it is.

You took the words right out of my mouth. And I must add, that The Lord of the Rings, has HOBBITS! That automatically trumps anything Harry Potter churns out. =P

And with LotR, the movies are actually pretty darn close to the books, I can't say that about Harry Potter, mostly because I haven't seen all of the movies (about five minutes of one of them), nor have I read the books... But I do know from what I've heard, and what I've read... Harry Potter just WOULD NOT appeal to me at all.
 Sigundr
08-27-2008, 7:13 PM
Until you see the battle scenes of LotR.

Both films and books are equally fantastic, but I'm a sucker for battle.
 Nedak
08-27-2008, 8:45 PM
LOTR.

Way more well written.
 EnderWiggin
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't know if I can honestly make an objective decision.

I like them both, very much. In terms of movies, I most definitely choose LotR.

_EW_
 ForeverNight
08-28-2008, 11:03 AM
LotR, we get the Silmarillion (Sp?) and the Lost Tales (Vol. 1 & 2), and the lay of Berlain (Sp?) and the Hobbit, and The Children of Hurin, and the other one in that series..... oh, yeah, we also get the actual Lord of the Rings.

But, look at the sheer history and depth of Tolkien's world compared to Rowling's, it's just... amazing.

So, obviously, my vote was for LotR.

@Ray: Boring? LotR is anything but... unless you can't get out of the first book of the Fellowship. :giveup:
 jawathehutt
08-28-2008, 7:38 PM
In both, LOTR demolishes HP. I really liked reading the the HP books, especially the later ones, and the movies are pretty good, but they cant even be compared to lotr.
Lotr has a story that affects all of middle earth, whereas the story in harry potter doesnt really affect the non-wizards until the last books. Also, Lotr has my all time favorite scene in a movie EVER, the last march of the ents. That scene gives me goosebumps every time I see it, and its not like thats the only good scene even, the entire movie is almost perfect. The only thing I can fault the movies on is not including my favorite whatever he is Tom Bambadil.
 EnderWiggin
08-28-2008, 8:28 PM
Lotr has a story that affects all of middle earth, whereas the story in harry potter doesnt really affect the non-wizards until the last books.

So the scope of the books is what makes a series good?

I'm not sure I agree.

_EW_
 Tommycat
08-29-2008, 8:59 AM
Lets see Epic story, Massive battles, whole world created, elvish, trolls, ogres, Nasgul, Sauron, Golem.... And of course Gimli.... Oh yeah LoTR wins hands down... And they did it in 3 books... HP couldn't finish it in 3....

And what wizard compares to Gandalf.... He even died and came back...

Lets see... Comparative based on characters
HP has Harry... LoTR has Frodo
HP has dorky kids with overinflated self worth... LoTR has the Fellowship
HP has a dieing gay wizard... LoTR has Gandalf the grey and Gandalf the white... Can't keep him down....
 Agent_Katarn00
08-29-2008, 9:09 PM
For one thing Harry Potter in my opinion is well...GAY
And LOTR is epic and great for nerds like me enjoying Star Wars :D
 Astor
08-30-2008, 1:47 PM
I have immensely enjoyed both series, but LOTR really wins without any question for me.

I love the detail that Tolkein put into creating not just a story, but a living world, one that keeps on going - and he enthused the entire of Middle-earth with a history almost as vibrant as our own.

And the languages... Elvish, Dwarvish, Black Speech, and more.

Each culture is distinct - and while tied to some real-world cultures, it's not obvious - sure the Dwarves are like Vikings, and Rohan similar to the Saxons, but you don't realise it.

I do like Harry Potter, but never as much as I could like LOTR.
Page: 1 of 2