Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Spaceports

Page: 1 of 1
 dlayers
10-10-2001, 10:36 PM
Don't you hate it when you get to the end of the game and you've mined up all of those resources?

Well you can still get those valuable resources after they've all been mined away by trading your food for them via the spaceports that you can build.

I've played several games now, and it seems that NOBODY uses these things. Well they can really help out as the game is winding down and resources are depleted because you can pretty much farm forever (unless you cut down all the trees!)

Hope this helps!
:fett:
 Mad_Dog
10-12-2001, 4:11 PM
and remember a powered animal nursery fill of nerfs gives you lots of food. NERF STEAK! hey i wonder if that will be a cheat for food..........
 DarkTrooper
10-16-2001, 9:56 PM
i dout that u would run out of carbon cuz they're are huge forests but i have ran out of ore
 ReaperFett
10-20-2001, 12:48 PM
I have the problem where Ill build one tghing in bulk, crippling one area. Then I move others to that job, crippling another area. A spaceport will be a must in Level 4 for me, so I can concentrate on one or two areas, and trade for others
 Darth G
10-21-2001, 11:14 AM
yah... it's the same thing as Aoe2. U tend to have no problems with food or carbon (wood), but nova (gold) and ore (stone), u definitely diminish the source pretty quick
 Paragon_Leon
10-29-2001, 9:34 AM
spaceports help me advance through the tech levels very quick.

The market was essential in AOK too; spaceports only enhance your power in GB. Using them a lot early on in the game gives you a definite edge.

tip: focus heavily on carbon and expand on food as you go. you can buy the other resources to advance through the ages.
most units rely on food and carbon.
 Lord JayVizIon
11-01-2001, 3:32 AM
good point leon, most people bypass the spaceport idea for various reasons, but spaceports are good for the reason leon said, especially if you are playing in a multiplayer game where there are a lot of players and the map may not be loaded with resources...
 chrisw_30
11-17-2001, 12:05 PM
I find I run out of ore...mostly because i am a defensive player (oops ive said too much)
 captain_drake
12-04-2001, 1:49 PM
hey don't worry dude i'm a defensive player too

but i love to trade the nova you make far outweighs the cost of the bulding :deathstar
 Chessack
12-14-2001, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by chrisw_30
I find I run out of ore...mostly because i am a defensive player (oops ive said too much)

Yup, I'm the same way. Always end up selling thousands of carbon and food to get ore at those hugely inflated prices. Ouch.

I always, always, always build spaceports. They're not necessarily my first priority, but by the time I'm into Age 3, I always have one. I don't usually get the improvements until much later in the game -- particularly the one where you can see what your ally sees. I like to do my *own* exploring. However, if the enemy is pressuring my ally too much, I will buy that improvement that lets you see what he sees, so I can better help protet him.
 duder
01-09-2002, 7:58 AM
Spaceport is my priority going into tech 2. Well after the eco upgrades at the carbon factory and command centre. Ally line of sight, and the buying and selling of resources is a must.
 Kudar
01-09-2002, 8:03 AM
let's not forget that you can also use an enemys spaceport by obliterating him, then chaning your status to ally, just make sure you don't destroy the spaceport ;)
 duder
01-09-2002, 8:19 AM
you skanky git. I'll remember to put on LOCK TEAMS next time I play in a game with you :p
 Kudar
01-09-2002, 8:24 AM
:p hehe no fun :D
 Chessack
01-09-2002, 1:01 PM
Lest we forget, Spaceports are not only good for trading one resource for another (although that's primarily what I use them for). They are also a great source of Nova Crystal revenue for you, if you have at least one ally: trade hovercraft. I always build at least a couple of these guys, and let them trade with my ally (in a 2-on-2 game, which is what I normally play).

In fact, the whole reason I changed from playing 1-on-1 (as I used to do in AoE/AoK due to lower computer power back then, before I got my new AMD thunderbird) to 2-on-2, was so I could trade some... Usually I have the highest trade revenue of the 4 civs in the game (the other three being, generally, the computer). If you get a couple of hovercraft going early on (during Age 2), you can have trade profits numbering in the thousands (I often have 3-4,000, sometimes much more). Meaning even when all other sources of Nova have been exhausted, you can still get some more by trading.

So at least to me, the Spaceport is a highly important building, and an integral part of my economy most of the time.

May the Force be with you.
Page: 1 of 1