Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[k1]adjusting lighting attributes

Page: 1 of 1
 VadersHand
05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I am re-skining the yavin outpost as a new module and I completed it (sort of). it is missing its lights maps (because i couldn't find them...if anyone could help with that, that would be awesome)...but I noticed something. The party, certain area attributes(such as buttons, computer screans, etc...), and the doors & placeables are all still brightly lit with a golden glow. I assume that this is because there is a lighting system (apart from the lightmaps) the effects objects that are rendered seperately from the module model. Does anyone know where this data is stored? (ie- the values that tell the game what intensity and color the light should be on these objects).
 glovemaster
05-13-2008, 3:09 PM
It would seem that the Yavin Station doesn't have any lightmaps, they are not necessary for models, perhaps prefered though. It would seem that the lighting for the Station are controlled by AuroraLight's in the model and, until the tools are available, that cannot be edited. However that is assuming there are animations or emitters on the station, if there wasn't then KAuroraEditor would handle the models fine.

I can only suggest checking the models out in your 3D modeling program and seeing what you can find.
 magnusll
05-13-2008, 7:47 PM
Area lightning is affected by three things:

A) Sundiffuse and Sunambient values in the .are file
B) Auroralights
C) Lightmaps

The first one you can edit directly. The second one you can edit through KAuroraEditor if there are no animations in the area (I've got a 0.3 prerelease ready which can import emitters, though there's at least one major bug if you change those with the built-in editor). Third one can't be changed yet, mainly because I don't know how to handle the lightmaps with 3dsMax (NWMax doesn't export them so I'd need to write an additional 3dsMax script to produce the data needed for KAuroraEditor to import the lightmap).
 VadersHand
05-13-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm curious, if i did no editing to the files that control the lighting of the yavin station, but just copied them for my new area I created, why would the room be completely dark? Im just confused about why the lighting didn't copy over...

also, I've never attempted to edit models, nor have I explored them in a 3d model editor, so could you explain what you mean by 'animations' or 'emitters' in the model. thanks!

EDIT**

I followed Insidious's reskin module totorial from the beginning all over again. I came up with the same results. here are my results in comparison to the original yavin station mod. Notice (its hard not to) the drastic lighting difference between the two modules....I have no idea to fix this. I copied and edited all of the files nessessary to create a new module. any help is very much appreciated.

original yavin module:http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/germybedwetter777/lightness.jpg)

my module: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/germybedwetter777/darkness.jpg)
 glovemaster
05-14-2008, 3:53 AM
I _think_ that the lightmaps could be mqa_01a_lm0 / lm5 in Lightmaps13.
I am not entirely sure how it works like that but its the only thing I can see as possibily being the lightmap.
 VadersHand
05-14-2008, 12:30 PM
yea, i figured that may be the case. the names don't follow the typical formula bioware used to name all of the other module lightmaps.

Are there any files that directly reference the lightmaps or call them to be loaded when the module is loaded? If that is the case, all i need to do is to check those files and get the file names of the lightmaps.

I noticed this last night when I was re-doing the reskin tutorial, but the yavin station has a .vis file. i don't know what the .vis file does, but it is correctly named (m50aa.vis). It is the only file out of the light maps, extra texture info, and vis selections that, upon first glance, exists for yavin.

Do you know if anyone has ever reskinned yavin before? If so, I wonder if they ran into this problem....
 magnusll
05-14-2008, 6:45 PM
Lightmaps are just a second texture added to the model and combined with the first (the RGB values of the two textures get multiplied), so you'll find the references inside the .mdl files themselves; in particular, the trimesh nodes have the texture names stored within their headers.
Page: 1 of 1