Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mark Griskey - TSL Music

Page: 1 of 1
 Taak Farst
05-06-2008, 6:01 PM
Right - for my Alderaan mods I was searching everywhere for music. I stumbled across Mark Griskey's own website. His site contains some of his TSL song work. As he has it on site - would I be allowed to use it in my K1 mod?

If I am not - please can som1 write me a sort of grand arrival/hopeful tune, a bit like the TSL Restored Enclave music. Thanks all!
 HdVaderII
05-06-2008, 8:04 PM
I might be wrong, but if you arent taking it from the actual game, but from the guy's website, you might (that's a weak might) be able to use it, but it is still content from TSL.

I would air on the side of not using it, because if it is porting, you wouldn't want to get the community, or LucasArts mad.
 Doc Valentine
05-06-2008, 9:00 PM
Even if it's from a guy's website, the music has copyrights, and if it is not included in the game that you are modding for, you cannot use it. This is the same reason we aren't allowed to use John William's music from the Star Wars saga (much to my dismay) in our mods. I believe there is a loophole however, about sampling the music in your mod. Don't quote me on this, but I belive you are alowed to play an under 20 second sample of the song you would like to play in your mod.

Again, don't quote me, a friend of mine did this once for his website, he put the Mission Impossible theme in the background, and for legal reasons, was only allowed to play a 20 second portion of it.

-Doc
 Sith Holocron
05-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Or . . . you could e-mail Mr. Griskey and ask for permission.
 Da_man
05-07-2008, 12:58 AM
^ That is a novel idea, and then you might (another weak might) be able to get away with using the whole song.
 Doc Valentine
05-07-2008, 2:56 AM
It's definitely something to try, don't get your hopes up though.
 settoken
05-07-2008, 3:16 AM
Another thing to try is to search the web for free sounds...
Or you can use some classics sounds as lot of them are free from any copyright.
And if it sounds too classic, you can download the MIDI file of the piece you like and replay it in a sequencer using more futuristic sounds..
But far better is to compose yourself what you had in mind. Record your voice singing it and use it as a reference to recreate it in cubase, fruity loops, ableton live etc ...
There are trial versions of these and with patience you can have good results trust me.

Edit: here are 2 links link1 (http://themes.mididb.com/movies/) and link2 (http://membres.lycos.fr/esteban/)
search on that kind of sites
 Da_man
05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
^Going off what he said, I'd look around the NewGrounds Audio Portal.
 Taak Farst
05-07-2008, 4:29 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Settoken - Am I allowed to use the music for the first link coz it has austin powers and stuff
 settoken
05-07-2008, 4:47 PM
I don't know but what's sure is that Man, you're making a mod...
Stop stressing about copyrights, you're not going to make money with it.
Just use midi files to help you and nobody is gonna make you any problem.
 Thanatos9t
05-07-2008, 5:08 PM
Midi files won't work with KoToR, it only supports mp3's renamed with the .wav extension
 EnderWiggin
05-07-2008, 5:58 PM
Midi files won't work with KoToR, it only supports mp3's renamed with the .wav extension

I'm sure a program like SoundForge or whatever he's using will be able to convert them :)

_EW_
 Da_man
05-07-2008, 6:22 PM
Stop stressing about copyrights, you're not going to make money with it.
No, if you distribute it without the authors permmission, It's still copyright infringement. Thats why I'd look around the Audio Portal on NG, cuz thats public domain.
 settoken
05-07-2008, 7:56 PM
I was talking about using midi files as an help to create your own sound in a music software..
of course midi files won't work in kotor ^Thanatos
Of course I suggest using midi files as an HELP considering the fact that you're not a musician, but I wouldn't do it because I'm able to make my own music and so when I tell you "you just need some patience" to learn how the software works, I know what I'm talking about.
And if you really want a "grand arrival/hopfull tune", but you're not ready to learn how doing things by yourself, then I suggest to use some Mozart, Bach etc...
Those are FREE from copyrights and I'm pretty sure that Mr Williams would love the music of your mod.
 Arcesious
05-07-2008, 8:08 PM
You'll have to ask permission if you want a full track... However... :tsk:. No, I'm just joking. But, accordign to all the copyright agreements I've read, distribution of a copyrighted thing to those who have not paid to have it without permission from the copyright owner is illegal and usually punishable by a fine or makes you elligable to be sued... So, yeah- I would suggest that you get permission.
 HdVaderII
05-07-2008, 8:14 PM
So, yeah- I would suggest that you get permission.
Agreed
 glovemaster
05-08-2008, 1:21 PM
Ah here it is.
18. Infringement by issue of copies to the public
The issue to the public of copies of the work is an act restricted by the copyright in every description of copyright work.
References in this Part to the issue to the public of copies of a work are to the act of putting into circulation copies not previously put into circulation, in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, and not to—

any subsequent distribution, sale, hiring or loan of those copies, or
any subsequent importation of those copies into the United Kingdom;

except that in relation to sound recordings, films and computer programs the restricted act of issuing copies to the public includes any rental of copies to the public.

Well this is the UK Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988), and I am pretty sure it will be the same around the rest of the world.

And even though we had already established you need permission, there is the reason why ^ :p
 Taak Farst
05-13-2008, 3:11 PM
I emailed Mark Griskey on his TSL music but I don't know what to make of his reply? SHOULD I use TSL music?

My attorney has asked me not to comment...
But that doesn't mean that I said no.

;}

Glad to hear you are such a fan. Hopefully LucasArts will make another KOTOR.

-Mark
 DarthRevan243
05-13-2008, 3:37 PM
It's risky. Do it or don't. Leave it at that.
 glovemaster
05-13-2008, 4:17 PM
If he was advised not to reply to your email and he did so anyway with;
But that doesn't mean that I said no. ;)
I'd assume that he's fine with it.
 nine.roses
05-13-2008, 4:35 PM
So would I, judging from the wink.
 Darth InSidious
05-13-2008, 4:48 PM
Perhaps. But I would remind everyone here of Rule #7 - regardless of where you got it, it's an asset from TSL that you are putting in K1.
 nine.roses
05-13-2008, 4:58 PM
Hence the reason for his seeking of our advice. However, I would not consider it in any way to be porting when the man who wrote the music and claims it as his intellectual property hosts it on his independent site and indicated that he was happy for Taak to use it.

Then again, I would urge you to act with caution, Taak Farst. Mark Griskey likely doesn't want it spread around that he will allow people to use his music willy-nilly, so be careful with what you say about this, and more importantly how and to what degree you use his music.
 Darth InSidious
05-13-2008, 4:59 PM
You may not- but it's not about your opinion - it's about LucasArts. And the likelihood of them looking kindly on this is as close to zilch as makes no odds.
 nine.roses
05-13-2008, 5:35 PM
Hmm, you may be right. Do some research - it depends on who owns the copyright for the music.
 Taak Farst
05-13-2008, 5:58 PM
Using info from all your replies from my last post, I have replied back to Mark Griskey via Hotmail - How trusty it is... :}

Personally, I agree with both of the main posters who replied, I believe if Mark has no problem with me doing it, I do it. But I DO have to think of LucasArts. They could sue me for an arm and a leg :xp:
Also if the attorney implored him not to comment, then I am leaving it to see if Mark replies.

@nine.roses
I am unsure of copyright, but if Mark wrote it then it is likely to be his own copyright. I dunno. I will look it up, see what I find then see i fi get a reply off him.
 Scatter
05-14-2008, 8:27 AM
christ, all this fretting over porting from one LA ip to another. i've never understood the taboo over the matter on these boards.

it is technically no more illegal than any other mod released here.

Since the threads closed I will comment here... You say you don't understand the reasons for this yet you comment on what is technically illegal! Makes you look quite silly! :lol: -RH
 Silveredge9
05-14-2008, 8:51 AM
Using info from all your replies from my last post, I have replied back to Mark Griskey via Hotmail - How trusty it is... :}

Personally, I agree with both of the main posters who replied, I believe if Mark has no problem with me doing it, I do it. But I DO have to think of LucasArts. They could sue me for an arm and a leg :xp:
Also if the attorney implored him not to comment, then I am leaving it to see if Mark replies.

@nine.roses
I am unsure of copyright, but if Mark wrote it then it is likely to be his own copyright. I dunno. I will look it up, see what I find then see i fi get a reply off him.
But the thing is, although Mark Griskey may have composed the music, he doesn't own it. Lucasarts hired Mark Griskey to compose the music for a commercial Lucasarts product, which means Lucasarts owns the copyright. Copying Lucasarts owned property from one IP to another without their permission is both a breach of copyright and porting - Both of which are 'forbidden'.

I know it sucks, but your just going to have to deal with it.
 Robespierre
05-14-2008, 9:14 AM
christ, all this fretting over porting from one LA ip to another. i've never understood the taboo over the matter on these boards.

Because LucasArts ruled it out of the rules it established when making the game. So if you break them, LA can shut you down. No questions asked. The don't even have to really provide a good and wholesome reason, they can just pull down your mod. If their attorneys sent a letter to LucasForums to cease and desist, then they would have to shut down immediately. So, porting is a no no.

In what way? Porting is against the modding laws associated with LucasArts games, whereas modding isn't. Therefore, modding is not as illegal as porting.
 Darth InSidious
05-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Because LA would shut us down for it. And no, no it isn't the same. This conversation's been had many times before, and this is the bottom line. I suggest we move on before the mods lock the thread. :)
 Darth333
05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Regardless of the legality of the thing, I thought that our forum rules were clear:
7. Mods containing assets (models, textures, sounds, etc.) ported from another game are prohibited

It is against Lucasarts policy to port assets from one game to another. Holowan Laboratories does not condone porting of this nature, and moderators will close or delete any thread or posts discussing such mods, even if it is for your own personal use. The exception to this is if the asset in question is present in both KOTOR and TSL. Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game.
Page: 1 of 1