Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What the Professor REALLY Means....

Page: 1 of 1
 brief
08-20-2001, 6:34 PM
As we make our way through the course of academia, we will find that, often, the professors will say something, when they really mean something else. Below is a list of some of the things you might hear coming out of a professor's mouth, as well as what they (almost) invariably mean...

<table><tr><th width="55%">What They Say</th><th width="45%">What They Mean</th></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You'll be using one of the leading textbooks in the field.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I used it as a grad student</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you follow these simple rules, you'll do fine in the course.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you don't need any sleep, you'll do fine in this course.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The gist of what the author is saying is what's most important.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don't understand the details either.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Various authorities agree that...</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">My hunch is that...</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The answer to your question is beyond the scope of this class.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don't know.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You'll have to see me during my office hours and I'll answer the question.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don't know.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In answer to your question, you must recognize that there are several disparate points of view.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I really don't know.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Today we are going to discuss a most important topic.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Today we are going to discuss my dissertation.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">We can continue this discussion outside of class.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">1. I'm tired of this -- let's quit.
2. You're winning this argument -- let's quit.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Today we'll let a member of the class lead the discussion. It will be a good educational experience.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I stayed out too late last night and didn't have time to prepare a lecture.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Any questions?</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I'm ready let you go.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The implications of this study are clear...</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don't know what it means either, but there'll be a question about it on the test.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The test will be 50-questions, multiple choice.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The test will be 60-questions multiple guess, plus three short-answer questions (1000 words or more), and no one will score above 55 percent.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The test scores were generally good.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Some of you managed a C+</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The test scores were a little below my expectations.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Where was the party last night?</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Some of you could have done better.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Everyone flunked.</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Before we being the lecture today, are there any questions about previous material?</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Has anyone opened the book yet?</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">According to my sources...</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">According to the guy who taught this class last year...</font></tr><tr valign="top"><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It's been very rewarding to teach this class.</font><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I hope they find someone else to teach it next year.</font></tr></table>

------------------
http://www.capcorphq.com/images/brief.gif)
If Barbie is so popular, why do you need to buy her friends?
 Guybrush122
08-20-2001, 7:11 PM
lol, very funny brief

------------------
http://sigsofmine.50megs.com/images/gb122.jpg)
Did I Mention That I Am Marrying Myself?
 Drunken_Sailor
08-22-2001, 5:21 PM
 Deadmeat
08-23-2001, 8:53 AM
Hehe. School just started again, and this could really be usefull..

------------------
http://monkeyislandclub.homestead.com/files/deadmeat.gif)

I'm the root of all that's evil yeah
but you can call me cookie.
Page: 1 of 1