Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Complete newbish question about KOTOR modding

Page: 1 of 1
 jedispy
04-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Is it possible to create new maps/levels/areas for Knights of the Old Republic. I mean is it possible to create a totally new game based on the KOTOR game engine? I have a mod concept I wouldn't mind doing in KOTOR, but it would require entirely new levels.

Thanks
 Hawkstrong16
04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't think so, it would require things we can't do. But I'm no modder, so yeah. But what I've heard on here it can't be done. Sorry.

You can Reskin and modify modules that are already in the game
 Miles Edgeworth
04-04-2008, 8:08 AM
Its possible, but it takes much longer to do in this than in other games. I would suggest doing it in Neverwinter Nights 2. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2)
 Hawkstrong16
04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I stand corrected. I would assume it would be extremely hard because if you were to create a full new module you have to screw around with making custom walkmesh and building placement.

Edit: haha, I just noticed that this is my 100th post!
 jedispy
04-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I have heard good things about NWN2. Maybe I can check that out.
 Quanon
04-04-2008, 1:24 PM
I stand corrected. I would assume it would be extremely hard because if you were to create a full new module you have to screw around with making custom walkmesh and building placement.

Edit: haha, I just noticed that this is my 100th post!

Congrats !

I'm nearing a 1000 :p

@Topic : Creating levels is now possible, just this last year.
I think it was back in August or something when MagnusII got it working.

Though like you mention its not that easy, and its still kind of buggy, limited.

Like other folks suggest go for a game thats for more open to modding or is greatly support for modding .

Things like Unreal Tournament games, or using HL 2 , which also has lots of tools and stuff... these are no RPG games, but are greatly addeptable.

NWN 2 is ofcourse another RPG with a whole Toolset for modding and custome creating.

Anyway I'm repeating allready mentioned stuff.
 jedispy
04-04-2008, 1:27 PM
I've never played NWN2. I like the interface of KOTOR though.
If I wanted to be persistent and make new maps for KOTOR, what tool would I use?
 Marius Fett
04-04-2008, 1:29 PM
You would need KAurora and 3ds Max or Gmax (with NWMax) as well as Photoshop or something to texture in.

You should PM Magnusll for a copy of the latest KAurora.
 Quanon
04-04-2008, 1:56 PM
You would need KAurora and 3ds Max or Gmax (with NWMax) as well as Photoshop or something to texture in.

You should PM Magnusll for a copy of the latest KAurora.

Like DDD said:

3Ds Max or G-Max to model the area.

Photoshop or Gimp to create your own textures, or you could use some of Kotors textures aswell.

Kaurora you need to compile your models to the file type Kotor uses for its models.

KotorTool for all the other file handeling and extracting.

K-GFF to edit certain files.

I use ERF edit to setup the level/ area files for kotor.
THough KotorTool can do this aswell.

I can say, its one of the more difficult things to do for Kotor.

Setting up new levels is well... kind of advanced.
Page: 1 of 1