Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A Time for War

Page: 1 of 1
 The Doctor
03-29-2008, 12:24 AM
The year is 1742. Doctor Linaeus Chromwell, an English mathematician and scientific theorist, has devoted his life to the study of temporal physics, and has formulated many theories on the nature of existence and our place in it. Many of his theories are considered to be scientific drivel, and he himself is viewed by the majority of the scientific community as a madman.

For nearly thirty years, Doctor Chromwell had been working on an invention that he claimed would revolutionise the way scientists and historians alike view the study of their respective fields - a clockwork device that he believed would allow him to travel through Time in either direction.

Despite the cautions given by those who have studied his new device, Doctor Chromwell decided to go through with the final test of his machine - sending the machine itself, with him inside it, exactly two days into the future. During the test, there were a series of odd power fluctuations, but everything went according to plan. The machine powered up according to plan, and dematerialised as it should. But at the last moment, a random energy fluctuation caused an overload in the control matrix, and Doctor Chromwell lost control of the machine, helpless as it fell through Time into the far, indefinite future.

Losing consciousness as the stress of travelling through the Time Vortex became too much to bear, he awoke to find himself crashed in the Thames, in the middle of a war ravaged London, his time machine damaged beyond immediate repair. Stranded in an unfamiliar future and trapped in the middle of a war zone, Chromwell must struggle to survive long enough to find help if he ever wishes to return home.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

For the sake of character creation, the period Doctor Chromwell has landed in is the mid 20th century - specifically, 1941 - in London, England. The types of characters played aren't really important, so long as they're protagonists - any villain characters created will most likely go unused for the greater portion of the game, as the "bad guy" in the story won't really be personified.

I will be playing Doctor Chromwell, of course. I'd like a cast of around four to five people, ideally, but more are always welcome, of course. There is one part, integral to the plot, that I would like to discuss with a more experienced player. There are still vast levels of flexibility with this role, but there are certain aspects that would need to be consistent with a very basic character outline I have laid out for him/her. ~ this character has been claimed.

As for the character sheet, just a basic one will suffice.

Name: Doctor Linaeus Chromwell
Appearance:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 182 lbs
Hair: bald; normally clean-shaven, though regularly sports slight greying stubble.
Eyes: Hazel
Clothing: Customary period attire. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700-1750_in_fashion#Men.27s_fashion)

Biography: Linaeus was born to a fairly well-to-do family in London, England, where he continued to reside even beyond the death of his parents. An only child, Linaeus spent most of his childhood secluded from his peers, preferring the company of his father's extensive library to that of his fellow children. This trend continued into his early adult life, when he began the studies that would lead to his later work.
 Writer
03-29-2008, 1:39 AM
There is one part, integral to the plot, that I would like to discuss with a more experienced player. There are still vast levels of flexibility with this role, but there are certain aspects that would need to be consistent with a very basic character outline I have laid out for him/her. ~ this character has been claimed.

Claimed by me! Welcome back, Doc. I'll try to put up a char sheet tomorrow... but can't guarantee that... tomorrow's busy!
 The Doctor
03-29-2008, 9:45 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Writer. And thanks for nabbing the part so quickly, too - I was really hoping to give the part to someone I had played with before. :)
 Writer
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
And after... what's it been, a week? Well, at any rate, here's my character. :)

Name: Ethan Alvis Francis
Appearance: Image: Ethan Francis (http://lilithlotr.ejwsites.net/Elijah/screencaps/ash-weds/EdwardBurns_small.jpg)

Biography: As a child, Ethan was always fascinated by the inner workings of anything he could get his hands on. It started with watches and progressed to clocks, and from there to nearly any mechanical thing in the house. What always impressed his parents was the fact that he could generally put things back together as he'd found them, thus ensuring that anything he touched would still be working when he was finished with it.

In his school years, he became obsessed with the works of Dr. Linaeus Chromwell. In high school and into college, he was always experimenting with clockwork technology. And though most of his fellow students thought he was as crazy as his idol had been considered, many saw potential in Ethan's inventions. And so began the funding of some of the greatest technology known to man.

Under Ethan's guidance, England was guided into a period where many household items were powered by clockwork, anything from cameras to automobiles, and everything in between. Then, war broke out and Ethan's designs turned to war. He and his company Clockwork Industries Inc. developed machines of war, driven by clockwork.

Presently, the war continues to rage on, and Clockwork Industries are in the process of attempting to create clockwork soldiers, so as to reduce the number of human casualties. Ethan Francis himself is growing continually difficult to reach, for he is always busy in his company, investing his time to push along the technologies they are working on, fueled by the theories of Dr. Linaeus Chromwell.
 steven
04-12-2008, 1:29 PM
(Sry its a little l8r than promised)

Name: Lieutenant Noah Price
Appearance: Clickie (http://www.librarising.com/astrology/celebs/images2/GHI/hughlaurie.jpg)
Biography: Born into the a family of military war heroes, Noah had never intently wanted to follow on the shoes of his father after he observed how he changed every time he came back from her service. Sometimes Noah's father would return after having an epiphany, sometimes he's come back as a violent man who was easy to anger. Though it was interesting, Noah didn't want to become like that so against his fathers wishes, he became a local butcher and set up foundations for emotionally awarding life. He married a beautiful woman who lived in the house next door to his who would later give birth to three children, one girl and two boys. The family life was perfect.

That was until the war broke out. On the date it was announced, Noah's wife caught a disease that doctors couldn't diagnose. She would die two months later and leave Noah a single dad. Afraid for the lives of his children for when the enemy bombs began to fall from the sky, he had the moved to the country side to leave with his retired Father and Mother however he stayed in London. Not long after he received word his children had safely reached his parents house, he received notice that he had been drafted to fight overseas.

He had only spent one years fighting the enemy war machine, but it changed him. He became depressed and slightly bitter. Noticing this, he begins to mentally plan a way for him to get out of the army and returns to London for a short break where he hopes to come up with something.
 The Doctor
04-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Steven, I'm sending you a PM. It's, uhm... not World War II. :P You'll see. I would suggest:

That was until the War broke out.
 Master_Archon
04-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I'd be happy to join (if I'm welcome, that is :) ), but promise me one thing Doc. That you'll keep this RP going at a decent pace, and won't let it choke and splutter like all the other RP's seem to be doing. (Don't mean to sound rude, but regardless, it's true.)
 The Doctor
04-14-2008, 8:16 PM
I don't plan on letting it die, I assure you. And of course you're welcome. :D
 Master_Archon
04-15-2008, 9:36 AM
Okay then! :D

I have my character up, I'm just not sure how legitimate he is for the RP, considering I know very little beyond that it's not World War II, the technology is based around clockwork tech, your guy was somehow able to develop time travel in an age where technology in itself was limited (just an observation, not criticism, sorry if it sounded that way though. :whtsmile: ), and that this RP is based around an alternate Earth, or something like that. Did I get everything right?

All I need to know is what's missing from what I said above. Like the level of weapons used, whether they're weapons that existed (in the past or modern times in the 'real' world) or whether they're totally alien/different weapons that have never been developed within the history of man on our Earth. I know we might not be using weapons that much, maybe not at all, but it's better to know than to be left in the dark (and make a mistake in the RP that would upset you Doc.). Second, I know what clockwork tech is, but I need a slightly more specific and detailed explanation. Third, if there's anything I forgot, or you would like to add, go ahead, I just need to know these things before I go off and do something stupid.

Name: Gil Delson
Branch: Royal/British Army - [Artists Rifles; Known today as the SpecialAirService (if they exist in this war/timeline. If not, tell me.)]

Born: 4 October, 1914
Appearance:
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 186 lbs - [Mostly Muscle]
Hair: Military Buzz; Clean Shaven/Soul Patch; Strawberry Blonde
Eyes: Bright Green; Flecks/Streaks of Blue
Clothing: Military Clothes/Gear, Common for the times

Biography: Born to a farmer, and his wife (obviously), out in the country, Gil grew up knowing nothing of the world, other than milking, seeding, feeding hens, grooming horses, and slaughtering pigs, etc. But when a military recruiter came into the nearby town (thirty miles away!), Gil was intrigued, to say the least. The next time he went into town, he approached the recruiter, and without even a chance to respond, the quickwitted man (the recruiter that is) had Gil's name on the signing/drafting board. A year later the Army was on his doorstep, there to take him off. His parents were frightened, and he was confused, he had forgoten he'd even met the recruiter, let alone signed the draft board. But, with humble obedience, he said goodbye to his folks, and left to be trained.

To say the least, he was very good at what he did, and was transfered into the Artists Rifles (an advanced group of soldiers), even though he really wasn't an Artist to begin with, he fit right in. Some would say he's uneducated, but that's not true, his parents, despite their choice of of life, were very intelligent, both decently educated, both had taught Gil everything they could, but where his knowedge lacked, wisdom and faith filled the gaps (there isn't an Atheist in a foxhole after all).

Then the War started, and things got painfully realistic, but Gil had little choice, it was die for your folks, country, and freedom, or die a coward running from the inevitable, and with the heavy morals put into him by his parents, he willingly chose the latter (or whichever the first one is considered, because the whole latter-former thing confuses me).

Done, tell me what needs changing, okay Doc?
 The Doctor
04-15-2008, 4:25 PM
Everything looks alright, more or less. To answer your questions about weapons, as far as guns and bombs are concerned, they're exactly the same as they were in the real 1941. Weapons tech and 'standard-of-living based' technology are basically parallel to Earth's mid 20th century, driven by perpetual motion rather than internal combustion. For example, they still have cars, very similar to the ones that actually existed in the 40's, except they'll be operated by gears, pendulums, etc.

Doctor Chromwell's clockwork devices and such will guide the human race for hundreds of years. But his theories on Time and his 'Time Machine' in particular will be viewed as the inane scribblings of an aging mind, and will never enter mainstream science. There will, however, be a handful of people who carry on his work, though they'll be looked down upon by the general scientific community.
 The Doctor
04-27-2008, 1:22 AM
Alright then, I'll start it up soon I guess. Hopefully more people will join once we get things going.

Writer, I'd like to chat with you before we get started, though. Drop me a line on MSN, otay?
 The Doctor
05-04-2008, 4:43 PM
Triple post, I know, but meh.

The RP is up. We've still got room for more players, though, so anyone is welcome. Writer's character is supposed to have a team of sorts - they'll be somewhat more involved than other characters might be.
 Master_Archon
05-06-2008, 8:28 AM
Another question Doctor. How should my character enter the RP, since he's a soldier and all, I don't see how I can make him come into the story yet. Any ideas?
 steven
05-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm suffering from the same problem as Archon
 The Doctor
05-06-2008, 9:25 PM
Well, for you Steven, perhaps your character has become disenchanted with the military's approach to the war, and joins Chromwell and the others in their mission to seal it.

And Archon, perhaps your character could serve as a pseudo-villain. Sort of a personification of the military's "evil", for lack of a better term. Drop me a PM, and we can work out something more concrete.
 The Doctor
05-11-2008, 10:17 AM
How you guys working out?
 steven
05-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Im thinking about starting a bar, trying to drown his misery away but thats the best ive got im afraid
Page: 1 of 1