Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

IS there any way to improve the texture quality using any photoediting software or

Page: 1 of 1
 LordRevan999
03-17-2008, 12:39 PM
As you know texture quality in both games is very low even on high graphic settings.I need to know is there any way to improve the quality of textures using any photo editing software like photoshop or using 3dmax or gamx.Please tell me.
 Inyri
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Firstly, gmax and 3ds max are not 'photo editing software.' The 'problem' is that KotOR1's graphics, even in the best quality set, are very low resolution (when compared with other games). Increasing the resolution will not help in that department as it will simply make the graphics blurry. If you wanted higher resolution images you'd probably have to make them yourself from scratch, as I don't think you'd get good results simply enlarging the images, regardless of what 'nifty tricks' you might use.
 LordRevan999
03-18-2008, 3:51 PM
Can resizing the picture to a small size do the trick,you know the small the better,after all I have seen quality of images increase with smaller size. from Making skin from scratch which software should be used.And is there really a tutorial on making skins using UVW mapping(and I mean the tutorial which might tell me how to make textures not how to use UVW mapping).
 Marius Fett
03-18-2008, 3:56 PM
If you scaled down the texture file, then opened the model in Max and scaledthe map down to match the skin...

That may work...

Don't knw if it would give better quality though...
 Inyri
03-18-2008, 4:05 PM
Scaling anything -- up or down -- only decreases image quality (pixels are either blurred or merged, either way resulting in a loss of resolution and quality).
 Master Niewiedzial
03-18-2008, 5:30 PM
Hey what do you want from that game? The game itself has 5 years, for these times the kotor graphics were great.
 HdVaderII
03-18-2008, 5:33 PM
TSL still looks pretty good....better than k1 though, ill give you that.
 Inyri
03-18-2008, 5:45 PM
TSL's graphics weren't significantly better; they just used higher resolution textures, as I recall, and added a few 'pretty' new animations. A lot of the content was recycled, though (and I don't blame them for doing it).
 Thanatos9t
03-18-2008, 5:52 PM
The texture quality may be better but I found the lighting worse in TSL that in KoToR, I played them in reverse order and I found Dantooine in TSL was a boring drab place when I arrived in K1 I expected the same but the quality of the lighting made me want to come back there again after the initial visit.
 Robespierre
03-19-2008, 4:18 AM
You can't just "increase" texture quality - pixels/data that's gone isn't going to come back. So unless you can get the original texture file, you'd have to remake it yourself.

There are people doing it for Deus Ex, Half Life 2 and others.
 xrefusex
03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Dantooine was a boring, drab place in TSL because that's what you're supposed to feel. The place was bombed, raided and pillaged since KotOR. Of course it's not going to be the cheery, bright and happy place it was! If anything, the lighting achieved exactly that! :)
 Inyri
03-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Why would the lighting change in an outdoor location? I mean, realistically of course. It's not like the bombing kicked up a big dust cloud that covered the planet for years... Ideally the outdoor lighting should be exactly the same as in K1. Of course I'm assuming Thanatos was talking about the outdoor locations. :p
 Darth InSidious
03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Why would the lighting change in an outdoor location? I mean, realistically of course. It's not like the bombing kicked up a big dust cloud that covered the planet for years... Ideally the outdoor lighting should be exactly the same as in K1. Of course I'm assuming Thanatos was talking about the outdoor locations. :p
Personally, I just guessed it was...whatever the equivalent of January is on Dantooine. :p
 Inyri
03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
That's a good explanation after the fact for a lack in foresight on the devs' part.

DI, stop thinking of their excuses for them. :p
 Darth InSidious
03-19-2008, 1:00 PM
That's a good explanation after the fact for a lack in foresight on the devs' part.

DI, stop thinking of their excuses for them. :p
You're not my b-

...Stop telling me what to think!

Damn Proddies...

:xp:
 LordRevan999
03-20-2008, 10:59 AM
So there is no one who has done making texture from scratch.And are there no tutorial for making texture from scratch.
#10 so can you tell me how they make it or can you even tell me about anyone of them who would be happy to tell me how new texture is made I mean the process.
 Inyri
03-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I've made textures from scratch, but good from-scratch textures take talent and that's something you can't teach in a tutorial. It requires understanding your software (where there are tutorials for) and a lot of practice and patience (once again, no tutorials for that).
 Quanon
03-20-2008, 1:16 PM
So there is no one who has done making texture from scratch.And are there no tutorial for making texture from scratch.
#10 so can you tell me how they make it or can you even tell me about anyone of them who would be happy to tell me how new texture is made I mean the process.

I sometimes make textures/skins from scratch, mostly I start using a big photo of a material. It takes sometime to make good stuff.

Some of my Taris Reskin pack textures where made of several sample out of differant photos and things painted on.

I often just pick a part out of a Kotor texture aswell.
But its still all amateur compared to most stuff made for other games.
Page: 1 of 1