Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[WIP] Taris Teleporter

Page: 1 of 1
 Robespierre
01-31-2008, 1:37 AM
This thread is related to this piece of cut-content:

#47. A sound file exists that involves Carth teaching you how to use a droid that was supposed to allow you transit between the Taris City levels.

The sound file can be found in "\streamwaves\m40ad\swoo02".

Now to the point of the thread: I'd like to try my hand at restoring this piece of content. Now, bear in mind that the most KOTOR modding I've ever done before has been going through some random .dlg files for the fun of it. But I'd like to learn and help out with the K1RP/K2RP restoration effort.

Ah, after listening to the voice files, I reckon it would be really cool to have a droid to act like the terminals on Telos. On Taris, it'd take you to the following locations:

Apartments South
Apartments North
Upper City - South
Upper City - North (I think those are the names...the two upper city modules regardless)
Lower City
Lower City Apartments
Undercity
Sewers (probably right next to the forcefield leading to the Upper Sewers)
Upper Sewers

Any other suggestions?

To be able to travel to these locations, you would have to first talk to the droid at each of the locations. It would log and add the location to the list.

Because I'm not totally stupid (and I possess fingers and eyes), I decided to have a look at some scripting tutorials, and I think I'll need some combination of:

This is to spawn an NPC (ie, the droid) when I enter the relevant module.

Select all
void main()
{
object oEntering = GetEnteringObject();
object oPC=GetFirstPC();
if (GetIsPC(oEntering))
{
if (!GetIsObjectValid(GetObjectByTag("o")))
{
CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "my_npc_templateresref", Location(Vector(0.0,0.0,0.0), 0.0));

// I just need to know the OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE information for a droid. I know how to get the location information.
}

ExecuteScript("SOMETHING???", OBJECT_SELF);
}

Is there another script to permanently place an NPC somewhere? Or do they all have to re-spawn when the PC enters a module?

Can someone give me some possible NPC droids that I could use?

Start Conversation

Select all
void main() {
ActionStartConversation(GetFirstPC(),"dlg_filenamehere");
}

Now this leads into the .dlg file that I will create. However; how do I make the different strings of the file appear when the player visits different locations? I assume that the solution is something to do with variables and conditionals in the dialog, but someone would have to talk me through that.

After doing a little more research on global/local variables I have a question. Can I use this:

Boolean 10 - Dialogs, used to set that the creature has been talked to once.

To show that I've already 'talked' to two of the droids, and then trigger the dialog and the warp scripts? Or would this require something much more complicated. Gee, scripting is harder than I thought.

Speaking about warping, I found this script on these forums:

Warping Script

Select all
CleanUpLocals(oSwoop);
StartNewModule("tar_m02ab", "K_PTAR_SWOOP_POINT_01");

However, this warps the player to an existing waypoint. Is there anyway to replace this with coordinates?

I know this isn't much of a WIP (more of a LOWIP, Lack of Work in Progress), but I'd appreciate all the help I can get so I can get into KOTOR modding. I've probably jumped in the deep end a bit, but I can learn fast and I think that I could make this mod work.

EDIT: I just realised that this is more of a help thread, so it should probably go in one of the sub-forums.
 Dan Loto
01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
I think this project is beyond my current skill level but I do have some information for you.

#37 (Provided by Dan Loto).

AS ORIGINALLY QUOTED BY DAN IN HIS PMs TO ME

By looking at Tar_m03aa_S in kotor tool it looks like there's a lot of dialog in the lower city that wasn't used.

(Edited some stuff out here)

One final thing are two dialog files which say "Trigger for bek base is to the left, beside this terminal." and "3ab to the left, 3ad to the right"

Maybe this "terminal" was for working the bike/swoopdroid. 3ab and 3ad are the apartment complexes down there. Judging by Carth's cut dialog, you wouldn't be able to "transit" to 3ab and 3ad but it could take you to tar_m03aa if you've been there before.

Carth said that it couldn't take you inside of cramp places such as a store (I'm misquoting him I think) but it could take you to open areas...if I remember correctly...

Judging from that, I think it should only be these places, but it's up to you :)

Upper City - South
Upper City - North
Lower City
Undercity
Lower Sewers (maybe)

I hope you succeed!
 Seamhainn
01-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Where can I find the voice overs?

Thanks and take care
 Darth Balor
01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Hmm, weird I found voice overs for the droid on every planet, but I didn't find Carth's tutorial lines...
 Dan Loto
01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Hmm, weird I found voice overs for the droid on every planet, but I didn't find Carth's tutorial lines...

Now I can't find Carth's either :( . I know I've listened to it before though.

Edit: http://rapidshare.com/files/88139560/Carth.rar)

I found them on my other computer. I don't know where I got them from because they were just in my modding folder.

According to Carth it would seem that the Undercity and Sewers are off limets =(

Edit 2: I have to use Audacity to open them just incase anyone can't get them to play.
 Robespierre
01-31-2008, 5:50 PM
Hmmm, I was kinda hoping to make it go to the Undercity, but I suppose the Lower City could work too. At least it will give you a quick way to transfer between all of the Lower and Upper City of Taris.

So a revised list of the locations it will take you to:

Apartments South
Apartments North
Upper City - South
Upper City - North
Lower City
Lower City East Apartments
Lower City West Apartments

Please tell me if another location should be on there

EDIT: Yes, after listening to the instructions, this is the best way. However, I'm going to exclude Carth's line "You can signal the droid by pressing a button on your datapad", since I have no idea how to do that (if someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it).

Oh and about those sounds files: I can't find them anywhere on my KOTOR installation, where did you find them? On the Xbox version? Because they're pretty good.

Oh and a few more questions:

How do I make Carth say those lines when we're in the apartment (just after waking up after the Endar Spire thing), after he's said all of his other lines? So I've made a .dlg file with him saying the four lines, now how do I make him say it?
 Robespierre
02-01-2008, 3:02 AM
Just a few screenshots:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4666/globaljranq4.jpg)

That's my Global.jra. I think everything is right there...

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/6006/carthjh6.jpg)

Right, that's my Carth Dialog. I need some help with this one: How do I make Carth say it? And how can I check if lip syncs exist for it? I need him to say it after he's finished talking to me about what's he's done after we got off the Endar Spire (so, after all his existing dialog). And where do I put the VOs? The same place I put the droid VOs (in a different module folder, but in that general area?), or somewhere else?

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4637/transporterdroidac7.jpg)

All I need to know with this one is how to spawn the droid, what model to use and how to get him to say the lines (so nothing at all really...:D).

And again, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.
 Seamhainn
02-01-2008, 3:20 AM
Unfortunately I am up to my neck into the work on the Shadowland level. But while skimming KotOR Tool I once stumbled over a droid or somesuch which had some lines in the comment box or somewhere else which noted that this particular droid did just that what is mentioned in the dialog files.

I am sorry that this is not of much help to you, but I will keep my eyes open and will keep you posted if I see the file again.

Take care
 Robespierre
02-01-2008, 5:40 AM
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it. I look forward to seeing the final Shadowlands work, good luck!
 Dan Loto
02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Which of the Lowercity apartment complexes does it take you to?
 Robespierre
02-01-2008, 9:30 PM
Which of the Lowercity apartment complexes does it take you to?

There's more than one?

Ah, I forgot that there were two. It will take you to both of them. Thanks for reminding me!
 Robespierre
02-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately I am up to my neck into the work on the Shadowland level. But while skimming KotOR Tool I once stumbled over a droid or somesuch which had some lines in the comment box or somewhere else which noted that this particular droid did just that what is mentioned in the dialog files.

I found the droid in question (I think). Apparently it appears as a well known Xbox KOTOR bug, where it randomly appears on the Ebon Hawk and teleports you to different places (presumably a developer tool). For anyone that's interested its in the ebo_m40ad_s.rim and its called pebn_swoopdrd.utc. Enjoy.

EDIT: Ah yes, I have a small update. I got Carth to talk (of course, he's doing a nice ventriloquist act at the moment) and a journal entry which has instructions on how to use the transporter.
 Darth Payne
02-02-2008, 8:59 AM
Ooh, this is looking better and better.
 FrustrationMan
02-02-2008, 9:58 AM
Are you planning this for all planets, as the voice files for them are there? My guess would be that this was the original design for the rapid transit system.
 Robespierre
02-02-2008, 8:16 PM
I'm going to start with Taris but the eventual plan will be to have them for all the planets that the droid has VOs.
 Darth Payne
02-02-2008, 8:44 PM
Sounds really good.

I think it's a good idea that you focus on one planet at a time.
 Marius Fett
02-03-2008, 5:36 AM
Umm... Not meaning to put a damper on the mod but theres already something like this in the game...

If you warp to ebo_m40ad the Galaxy Droid is there...

It can take you to any planet in the game (though it crashes with Endar Spire and Star Forge).

Plus in that same module in eitherthe garage or the cargohold (can't remember which) there's another droid which will take you to any area on whatever planet you hapen to be on...

Maybe you could just use these droids files?

It would save making new ones...
 Robespierre
02-03-2008, 6:00 AM
I know that those exist, and I'll take a look at those to see if I could use those scripts. Thanks for pointing those out, I'll be sure to warp there right away.

The Galaxy droid I see as more of a cheat than anything else. The Ebon Hawk can take you to any planet in the natural storyline order. And I think that's already been restored.
 Marius Fett
02-03-2008, 7:14 AM
Actually I just realised that ebo_m40ad is where you speak to your party about Bastillas kidnap...

You can still use all the files in a different module though.
 Robespierre
02-04-2008, 3:27 AM
I haven't got round to looking at the existing files yet, but I just wanted to say that the Carth bit is now 100% done. The lipsyncs aren't the best, but I'm thankful that they're there. Carth's mouth jerks around a little bit, but they're okay.

I'm also probably going to restore the two lines of dialog for Carth that exist in the apartment. They basically tell you to rest while the Kolto packs "do their job". I think its a simple little addition to the existing cutscene. I might clean up the existing cutscene, as when you get up out of the bed, it looks quite jerky.

Right now I'm just working on getting the droid to spawn. Then I'll get him to talk and finally I'll work on the warp scripts and the conditionals. Not sure how I'll do the last bit though, since I have no idea what conditionals to use, or the warp scripts for that matter. Any help would be appreciated.
 Marius Fett
02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
If you want to spawn the droid you have two options.

Either edit the areas .git file or use a script.
 Dan Loto
02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
A script would be more compatible with other mods...right?
 Marius Fett
02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Not really... If you edit an areas .git file you then have to pack it in a .mod so other files cant overrite unless they use that same module.

And since hardly any mods override the original modules (in fact I can't think of any) there would be virtually no issues regarding compatibility.

How ever spawning it in the .git would be a lot of bother just to spawn one NPC.

So a script would be beter in this instance.
 Taak Farst
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
...Are we struggling or will this restoration get done? It sounds cool.
 Robespierre
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Either edit the areas .git file or use a script.

Yes, I'm working on the scripting approach.

I've got a few issues with spawning. The main one being it doesn't. Any help would be nice...
 Dan Loto
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Yes, I'm working on the scripting approach.

I've got a few issues with spawning. The main one being it doesn't. Any help would be nice...

What script are you using? :)
 Robespierre
02-10-2008, 2:55 AM
Okay, I think my thread needs a bump and an update.

At the moment I've got all the droids to spawn in the correct location and with more or less correct orientation (ie, not facing backwards). I am having some trouble with my .git files, since I need to learn how to inject them into the existing .rim files, but I'm getting to that.

The good news is that they all warp to the correct places (so I know that the .git files are working, I just don't know to make the game use them). The bad news is that I still have a lot of complex conditional scripts that need working on. I have got the basic idea, but from now on what I really need is time. I would estimate another week or two to get everything finalized and working 100%.

Stay tuned!
 Seamhainn
02-10-2008, 3:45 AM
Maybe this thread is of help: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=185991)

Also: take your time. I know how one can get excited about ones own work and eager to show the public what a cool thing one constructed. Take your time to test your mod properly, and it will be much more rewarding in the end...
 Robespierre
02-10-2008, 6:09 AM
I did try that, but apparently I have to insert the .git into the main module file itself.

And don't worry, I'm not going to release it until its 100% done.

I'll release a Taris only version, and then if the reception is good enough, I might work on a similar concept for other planets, though I have other projects in mind.
 Seamhainn
02-10-2008, 6:58 AM
I did try that, but apparently I have to insert the .git into the main module file itself.

You have to pack ALL files into the newly created .mod file. Please read the first and last post of the mentioned thread. If you need any help, just ask, and I try to help you, as I think it is a very great work of restoration.

As your idea of implementing it on other planets: I guess it is of limited avlue on other planets as they are pretty urban and seem not very "realistic" there. Though that is just my thought!

Take care
 Robespierre
02-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes I just realised what to do. Thanks for your help again:D.
 ARC Cody
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi
Looks like your doing a good job so far and I'm waiting to be able to play with your mod.
Good luck.
 Robespierre
02-13-2008, 6:16 AM
Well another quick update: I implemented the scripts which means you can't travel to the module you're currently in (thanks Swfan, it was all you:D), which would just be silly.

Unfortunately, if you install this mod, you're going to need to start a new game on Taris (so, completely before Taris, on the Endar Spire), because the waypoints won't work. You CAN still use it, and it IS useable, but it won't take you to the waypoints, it will take you to a random spot on the level.

Now all I have to do is place some triggers and more conditionals (grr which means I have to edit the .git file AGAIN) to make sure you can't travel to areas you haven't visited.

Another small point: At the moment I'm using the protocol droid as the model, but can anyone think of a better model for me to use?
 Dan Loto
02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Another small point: At the moment I'm using the protocol droid as the model, but can anyone think of a better model for me to use?

I always imagined that it would be like the droid that you can by with T3-M4. It would be weird having it talk though.
 Darth Payne
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
I always imagined it as the rakata droid, like in the dantooine ruins.

This way you could even use alien VOs.
 Dan Loto
02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
This topic talks about some guy finding the droid with a bug.

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=566917&forum=26)
 CrisG
02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
sounds like this work is going very well indeed. :)
 Robespierre
02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
This way you could even use alien VOs.

It's already got VOs. And since its a droid, it doesn't need any lipsyncs.

I always imagined it as the rakata droid, like in the dantooine ruins.

Wasn't that supposed to be a droid that hadn't been seen for 10,000 years? It wouldn't make much sense for an identical droid to exist on Taris for no reason.

Any other ideas for possible models?

Oh and originally the .utc was for a T3 droid, but that just looked stupid.
 Totenkopf
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Ah, after listening to the voice files, I reckon it would be really cool to have a droid to act like the terminals on Telos. On Taris, it'd take you to the following locations:

Apartments South
Apartments North
Upper City - South
Upper City - North (I think those are the names...the two upper city modules regardless)
Lower City
Lower City Apartments
Undercity
Sewers (probably right next to the forcefield leading to the Upper Sewers)
Upper Sewers

Any other suggestions?

As far as the warping goes, see if you can't find D333s warpband. It takes you to all the places you've mentioned so far and a few you haven't.
 Robespierre
02-14-2008, 12:20 AM
But this is a legitimate way of teleporting around Taris. Its got VOs for Carth and the Droid, and Carth's VOs rule out the Undercity and the Sewers.
 Seamhainn
02-14-2008, 2:11 AM
A T3 as well as a protocol droid both make perfect sence to me. Although a protocol droid would make a bit more sence, the T3 stays closer to the "original" content. On the flipsite T3s usually don't have VO beside the beep-beep / duh-duh thingy. If there are "human" VOs for the droid, you should go with the protocol droid.

Like always - just my 2 creds...
 Totenkopf
02-14-2008, 2:50 AM
I wasn't knocking your project, but rather pointing out that there were still other places or modules you could teleport to than the ones you listed. That's why I referenced her mod so that you could see where else it took you and decide which of those areas you might want to include as well.
 Robespierre
02-14-2008, 4:32 AM
Lol don't apologize, I welcome criticism. Just constructive criticism.

However, I've looked at the options and I felt that this was probably the intended list of destinations. Carth specifically rules out the Undercity, and therefore the Sewers. And it wouldn't make much sense having the droid in the middle of the Black Vulkar Base or Davik's estate, so I decided on the list:

Apartments South
Apartments North
Upper City - South
Upper City - North
Lower City
Lower City East Apartments
Lower City West Apartments
 Seamhainn
02-14-2008, 4:52 AM
However, I've looked at the options and I felt that this was probably the intended list of destinations. Carth specifically rules out the Undercity, and therefore the Sewers. And it wouldn't make much sense having the droid in the middle of the Black Vulkar Base or Davik's estate, so I decided on the list:

And your decision was right!
 Robespierre
02-14-2008, 5:46 AM
The only thing left to decide is the teleporters on different planets. It kind of makes sense, but since most of the other planets are fairly A to B type planets, a teleporter system is less useful (and a rapid transit system is more useful). But Taris is much more free-roaming, requiring you to travel back and forth multiple times between modules, so a teleporter here makes sense.

But I'm open to input.
 Seamhainn
02-14-2008, 5:59 AM
If you REALLY want my input I'd relase the Teleporter for Taris as a beta. As it was intentionally designed for Taris that would be the best approach. If it all works out fine you can decide wether or not you want to implement it on other planets (though I don't see the necessity). In TSL Nar Shaddaa had the only transporting system for example. So I'd say go for Taris...
 Robespierre
02-14-2008, 6:01 AM
Well, I'll put the 'beta' tag in front of it and leave it open pending future bug fixes/updates. The only potential bug issues I can see is certain scenes not triggering because you warp into parts of areas without triggering the normal on enter scripts.
 Robespierre
03-28-2008, 2:54 AM
Ah, sorry about both the bump and the double post, but I need one or two beta testers to help me out. Basically it'll take about 2 minutes to test. You'll need to start before Taris (so on the Endar Spire) and just play through a bit of Taris to check the teleporter. Basically I just want general suggestions and comments. PM me if you're interested.
Page: 1 of 1