Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Module Maps?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Balor
01-29-2008, 8:59 PM
How is a map created for a module that doesn't have one? (I mean like the minimap and the larger map) And after the map is made, how would i set that as the map for the module?
 DarthStoney
01-29-2008, 11:02 PM
The easy part is making the map itself. Setting it up to work is a little tuffer, its hard to explain how,but you have to set up the map coordinants in the .are file. I can probably make the map for you easier than I can tell you how.
 Darth Balor
01-30-2008, 8:49 AM
That may be but you are kinda busy. I have three areas I have to make a map for.

Korriban's Czerka Area
Tatooine Rakatan Temple
Enclave Lower Level(I also have to create the module for this)
 DarthStoney
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
OK, I will try to do this in a couple of parts,

To make the map itself follow this link http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/) towards the bottom is a tutotrial on how to assemble maps for kotor tool.
Note:you should not have to turn any pieces to assemble map when done this will give you your north orientation.

For this part I use 3dsmax (dont know if gmax has this option).
with the map assembled select top view select rendering then render
in the render scene menu under Output size set it to 512W x 256H I usually try to center the map the click render another window will open that is what pic will look like
once you get the image as you want it save it as a .tga file usually named
lbl_map("modulename").tga from there you can edit it in psp or photo shop that where
I put in the white border and shading.
Both k1 and tsl maps are 512wx256h .tga files.

next step wil be to tryto explain how to make them work.
 Darth Balor
01-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Ahh, fudge. The tut says GMax won't work.
 DarthStoney
01-30-2008, 1:39 PM
That is for maps compatible with kotortool. If gmax has a rendering option it will work all you are creating is a picture for the game to use.
I took a look at the m21aa.are ,it has map values in it already why it does not show up on the screen I dont know yet. If those are good map values you will need to manipulate the map picture to fit.
 Marius Fett
01-30-2008, 2:21 PM
Gmax has no rendering option.
That's one of the things that was cut out.
 Sithspecter
01-30-2008, 4:53 PM
For GMax, could you select the top view, make it the largest viewport, and the take a screenshot and save it as a TGA?
 DarthStoney
01-30-2008, 5:21 PM
It probably is possible, it is a whole lot easier for example when I made the map for the lost shadowlands the coordinants already existed so I had to resize and move the map around until it was in the correct location.It is much easier to do it in 3dmax.
 Darth Balor
01-30-2008, 6:57 PM
The map that appears when you open the map screen in the korriban area is the endar spire map. And it ONLY appears when you click the map screen.
 DarthStoney
01-31-2008, 7:42 AM
That is something new I just learned about these maps it needs a corresponding picture map file for the little map to show up in the corner. Take any other map file and rename it lbl_mapm21aa the mini map will appear. The is a lot of references to the endar spire in the .git file (map notes and trask)apparently they used this area for testing. Now the good news I created a .tga file for this area but the coordinants aren't even close so they will need to be fixed.
 Darth Balor
01-31-2008, 8:23 AM
I've gone and removed the Endar Spire refrences and added doors and a transition back to the main dreshdae area.

EDIT: You made the map? Ok.
Page: 1 of 1