Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Taris Ruins Mod Beta Release

Page: 2 of 3
 rearviewmirror
01-09-2008, 7:44 PM
Sometimes it takes two trys to download big files from my site provider, especially if you have IE7. When the feed from my provider gets slow, it tends to abruptly cut off the download, resulting in a useless .zip file. If the file you ended up with is significantly less than 10mb, you will have to download again. I used Windows XP to put it into a .zip file, so I don't know how WinRar will react to it (I don't have WinRar to experiment with).

If you can wait until this weekend, I'm going to release the updated Janice fight sequence. It's designed to provide a challenge for those who insist on playing with a Level 20 character. I'll also be adding another area/level to the mod.

Oh, I will. I've only been to tatooine and dantooine on this runtthrough, so I can wait for now. Besides I gotta get the ord mantell mod working, even though I'll have to wait till I have leveled up more. The only merchant I could get working at this point is the one on tatooine, that bot that sells good stuff. Kinda wanted a few new shops set up around. BTW, my new character is a chick, and her name?
It's Jaina Darklighter.
Best-name-ever
haha

My next run through KotOR II will feature a character named "Blood Chinios". Yes it's from ultraviolet, which rocked if you watched the extended version with more story. It had the BEST hand-to-hand and plain fight sequesnces EVER.
 e-varmint
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
.......ultraviolet......

Excellent movie. Just rented RE:E. Makes me wish someone would make a playable Alice........

.....Or mabye, it dosen't have to be on the Hawk...

It could be on Dantooine next to the workbench where you construct your first lightsaber...

Or it could be on the Hawk's workbench, like the mod which lets you construct items. That would be the best solution!

A workbench is a distinct possibility, as long as I'm careful about mod conflicts. I don't need any more cats in an already-overstuffed bag...

Edit: This looks promising:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137370)
It may be a way to correct the Warp Droid spawning issue.

.........Janice Nall was just a droid tech, and she was nice so i dont think she would attack a familiar face on site... btw does it hav promised land, id love to meet he poor agen. it would be funny if u asked about bombing and with them being down under they dont know what u talking bout. :lol:

I really like your dialog idea! I'm struggling with the Promised Land issue from a technical standpoint at the moment. The vision I have in my head may exceed my capabilities. Even if I have to drop the Promised Land as a playable area, I will certainly work your idea into one of the remaining two modules.

Janice has some "issues" that are caused by her mysterious holocron. Part of her wants to be nice, part of her is violently unpredictable. We'll get to see how she emerges from her dilemma later (except for players who kill her off).
 LoganZezima
01-10-2008, 3:33 PM
You could reskin the Jedi Enclave to be the Promised Land.

Edit:

A workbench is a distinct possibility, as long as I'm careful about mod conflicts. I don't need any more cats in an already-overstuffed bag...

Edit: This looks promising:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137370)
It may be a way to correct the Warp Droid spawning issue.

Yeah, that might cause problems. Linking to a dialogue would be your best bet, so far...

This is a great tutorial...
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2406944#post2406944)
 Darth Xander
01-10-2008, 3:56 PM
Can you actually go up and see the actual ruins themselves?
 e-varmint
01-10-2008, 7:54 PM
You could reskin the Jedi Enclave to be the Promised Land.

I hadn't thought of that. I'll play around with it and see what happens. You'll get bigtime credit if I use it, too!

Edit: I probably need to also retexture one of the Shadowland modules, since the player can reasonably expect to have to travel a long distance through "rakghoul-infested areas". I think that it has also been established that the planet is/was not completely covered by the city, so outdoor areas are fair game.

Can you actually go up and see the actual ruins themselves?

Unfortunately, I am not good enough with NWMAX to pull this off. It sure would be nice, though. How about a Level 3 retexture tease instead? I removed the minimap from this picture to preserve some mystery regarding the area's origin.

http://www.e-varmint.net/m70ve.jpg)
 Lordjedi
01-10-2008, 8:37 PM
Very Cool!!
 Darth Payne
01-10-2008, 8:47 PM
WOW.

That actually wouldnt look out of place as a basement on either Tatooine or Korriban.
 e-varmint
01-10-2008, 8:58 PM
Very Cool!!

Thanks!!!

WOW.

That actually wouldnt look out of place as a basement on either Tatooine or Korriban.

You've just given me a devious idea. How about an area, similar to this, that connects to a retextured dueling arena on Tatooine? Sort of a mini-grand-arena. By the time I finish this mod, I may have developed the scripting skills needed to pull it off.

Back on-topic: The level pictured above is going to have a bio-research-gone-wrong theme. I'm trying to resist the urge to create any Gizghouls.
 LoganZezima
01-11-2008, 3:10 PM
The pic looks amazing! BTW, I know where it is! :)

Anyway, the only thing you might need to reskin more is the door to be a little bit darker.
 Darth Xander
01-11-2008, 3:50 PM
So you mind If I completley give away what it is? :xD:
 LoganZezima
01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Edit: I probably need to also retexture one of the Shadowland modules, since the player can reasonably expect to have to travel a long distance through "rakghoul-infested areas". I think that it has also been established that the planet is/was not completely covered by the city, so outdoor areas are fair game.

http://www.e-varmint.net/m70ve.jpg)

Here's an idea:
Link an elevator in the Undercity (UC) to a Shadowland (SL) module. Link the SL module to the door in the Dantooine Landing pad. Make it so that from now on you can land there instead from on the UC elevator. Make a guide that takes you from the PL to the UC, like the Mandalorian on Duxn.

Sorry got to go. I'll edit later and explain further. :) :) :)
 ARC Cody
01-12-2008, 4:51 AM
Awesome idea, and from the looks of the screenshots the graphics will back up the story. But i have a few questions-
1) Will this mod be compatible with Brotherhood of Shadow ?
2)Will any new armor, weapons etc. be added ?
Anyway kudos to you
 Darth Xander
01-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Link the SL module to the door in the Dantooine Landing pad. Are you talknig about the landing pad in the Jedi Academy or outside of Khoonda/Matale Residence?
 e-varmint
01-12-2008, 12:14 PM
......I know where it is! :).......

I *knew* I shouldn't have left 009 on that door label. Now everybody will figure it out........

Here's an idea:
Link an elevator in the Undercity (UC) to a Shadowland (SL) module. Link the SL module to the door in the Dantooine Landing pad. Make it so that from now on you can land there instead from on the UC elevator. Make a guide that takes you from the PL to the UC, like the Mandalorian on Duxn.

Sorry got to go. I'll edit later and explain further. :) :) :)

I understand exactly what you are getting at. It's a good idea! The current setup would work nicely with something like:

Elevator from m70va to sewer (m70vc) to the retextured area(m70ve) to tomb module (not finished yet) to shadowland module to retextured Dantooine module. All this, and I haven't even used the sewer door outside the undercity compound yet.........

So you mind If I completley give away what it is? :xD:

I would prefer to have the player figure out where this area originally came from. I'm leaving the music alone, so it probably won't be a mystery for long, though......

1) Will this mod be compatible with Brotherhood of Shadow ?
2)Will any new armor, weapons etc. be added ?

I hope to make it compatible with BOS. I'll PM Silveredge9 when I get a final plan together for my Dantooine and Ebon Hawk revisions. If there are any conflicts, I can make adjustments. As it is now, it is NOT compatible with any mod that changes the Ebon Hawk.

There will be several custom placeables, but I'm saving most of them for the Final Release.

Edit: I am not going to use the TSL Patcher since I don't intend to modify any .2da files or the .tlk file. I'm hoping that this will minimize compatibility issues.
 LoganZezima
01-12-2008, 2:16 PM
I understand exactly what you are getting at. It's a good idea! The current setup would work nicely with something like:

Elevator from m70va to sewer (m70vc) to the retextured area(m70ve) to tomb module (not finished yet) to shadowland module to retextured Dantooine module.

Yeah, then when you get there, you are captured by the PL citzens, then you are taken to the PL's leader, and tell him that there is a whole other city, and that the PL has been lost for ages. Then the two citys will live together, and later the PL leader will retire (or be killed, either one), and when there is no successor, you will become the PL leader!

All this, and I haven't even used the sewer door outside the undercity compound yet.........

Sorry, I was thinking about the Zombie Planet Elevator that carries you back to the Hawk... I remember now...

But didn't you put the starting area from the Hawk next to the elevator? That must have been what I meant...

If not, then I will have to go and play it again. I get confused sometimes... :)
 rearviewmirror
01-12-2008, 5:56 PM
Sometimes it takes two trys to download big files from my site provider, especially if you have IE7. When the feed from my provider gets slow, it tends to abruptly cut off the download, resulting in a useless .zip file. If the file you ended up with is significantly less than 10mb, you will have to download again. I used Windows XP to put it into a .zip file, so I don't know how WinRar will react to it (I don't have WinRar to experiment with).

If you can wait until this weekend, I'm going to release the updated Janice fight sequence. It's designed to provide a challenge for those who insist on playing with a Level 20 character. I'll also be adding another area/level to the mod.

http://www.e-varmint.net/m70va-2.jpg)

Alright so is this done now? All these pic look great!
 e-varmint
01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Alright so is this done now? All these pic look great!

It will be ready late in the day on Sunday. I hit a couple of snags today.
 rearviewmirror
01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
ok no problem I'll check back.
 ARC Cody
01-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Why does Janice Nall have a lightsabre? Want she just a nice droid techie?
 e-varmint
01-13-2008, 9:21 AM
Why does Janice Nall have a lightsabre? Want she just a nice droid techie?

She bought an ancient holocron from an explorer, and has developed some new "interests".

Edit:

01/13/08, 16:30 US Eastern Time.
The new area has been added. See the first post to download.
 rearviewmirror
01-13-2008, 7:21 PM
01/13/08: Version 7 has been released.

This mod lets you return to Taris after Malak's attack. Thanks to Danyael27, DarthDingDong, and Miltiades for convincing me to do this! The beta release contains 3 of 5 modules, and is functional enough to make it worth downloading. I will assemble a full list of credits which mentions everyone who has contributed ideas for the mod and include it with the Full Release.
____

Wow it looks great. good job. Can't wait until the full release.
 ARC Cody
01-14-2008, 5:10 AM
O, that sounds cool. So is there going to be a main plot and some side quests, just side quests or only hack and kill. Can you pls show some screen shots of the different areas?
Thnx
 e-varmint
01-14-2008, 8:33 AM
O, that sounds cool. So is there going to be a main plot and some side quests, just side quests or only hack and kill. Can you pls show some screen shots of the different areas?
Thnx

The final version will have more "content". Two plot elements that will be developed further are:

The origin of Janice's mysterious holocron; and

The search for the Promised Land.

I will probably create/complete the rest of the modules, then go in and finish up the plot(s), add the placeables, etc. It's going to take a while, since at least three more modules will be required to complete the Promised Land. I also have not used the sewer door that is outside the compound yet, so there is the possibility of another module or two there. I'll post some more screenshots later this week.
 ARC Cody
01-20-2008, 9:14 AM
I have a few questions about the mod, so if you have the time can you please answer them?
1)So far, what are the major bugs and glitches left in the mod?
2)Will any of the Outcasts, at least the named ones be making a reappearance?
3)Will the Taris ruins appear on the Galaxy Map?
4)Where is that secret lab with 009 on the door? I dont get it.
Thnx a lot
 e-varmint
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
I have a few questions about the mod, so if you have the time can you please answer them?
1)So far, what are the major bugs and glitches left in the mod?
2)Will any of the Outcasts, at least the named ones be making a reappearance?
3)Will the Taris ruins appear on the Galaxy Map?
4)Where is that secret lab with 009 on the door? I dont get it.
Thnx a lot

1 The Warp Droid.
2 Probably not, but I'm tempted to have one or two return as Rakghouls.
3 There are too many potential mod-conflict issues to put Taris on the Galaxy Map.
4. The number 009 that you see in the screenshot has been changed to "Artifact Analysis Lab". I number the doors so that I can easily identify unique doors when I am "walking through" the module. It makes it a lot easier to determine which ones should be locked, and what the various door labels should be. This particular room only has one artifact at the moment, but will have more when I'm ready to activate the tomb/temple module.

When I'm finished with the various revisions that I am currently working on, I'll make good on my earlier promise to update the screenshots.
 Robespierre
02-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Rather than put the new Taris on the Galaxy map, couldn't you just have T3 'pick up a message' from Taris and then warp you straight there?

I just had the thought of this mod yesterday, after playing through Taris for the first time on KOTOR. After dreading the thought of actually trying to make my ideas into a reality, I found this mod! I'll download it shortly and give it a play! It looks great.
 Darth Payne
02-02-2008, 8:07 AM
I just thought of something about this mod.

This thought came to me when i visited the Yavin Space station.

The hallway with the doors you have to open so you can get to the main hall looks like it would fit in with the Promised Land area. It should be possible to block the window that shows Yavin though, right?
 e-varmint
02-03-2008, 7:14 PM
Rather than put the new Taris on the Galaxy map, couldn't you just have T3 'pick up a message' from Taris and then warp you straight there?.........I'll download it shortly and give it a play! It looks great.

I have concocted something similar with a droid on Dantooine in case I can't get the Warp Droid issue resolved.

I hope that you enjoy the mod in it's current Beta form. Let me know if you have any problems or ideas for improvement.

I just thought of something about this mod.

This thought came to me when i visited the Yavin Space station.

The hallway with the doors you have to open so you can get to the main hall looks like it would fit in with the Promised Land area. It should be possible to block the window that shows Yavin though, right?

I may be able to substitute the Taris sky (minus the buildings). I'll play around with it a bit after I

exterminate the Korath Clan with a Terror Star......
 Darth Payne
02-03-2008, 7:58 PM
Hmm, maybe instead of putting in the Taris sky you could use the Manaan one?

The sky above, and the sea below?

The promised land could be on the seaside of taris.
 ThatEvilDude
03-01-2008, 12:57 AM
wow nice job cant w8 to try it, but make sure u get the kinks out first.
 minx.eh
03-01-2008, 1:02 PM
A few suggestions, to make the game play better. In the end its all up to you. I just think it would be a cool mod if you added a few things.

~ Add exchange bosses who may be out for the PC's head. She/He did steal the Ebon Hawke and kill Davik
~ If you haven't already, make sure you can't use the droid until you are able to leave Dantooine. You still have to go through the Jedi Enclave before you can leave.
~ Add an encounter with the Sith that were on the planet. You did break into their Taris Base and in the end it was your/Bastila's presence that made Malak turn on Taris.
~ Rackgol infestation would be cool and awesome. Imagine it. The city is in ruins, the Rackgols have been let out of the undercity, and Zelka (or the exchange) lost the Serum. What to do?

Also...Didn't Rukil say that you couldn't leave the Promised Land? Just to point that out to you. You might want to create a big quest where you have to find a way out. Just so it all makes sense.

-Minx.eh
 e-varmint
03-06-2008, 8:02 AM
Great Suggestions! I am taking a break from this mod to get some perspective, but I will incorporate your ideas.
 minx.eh
03-06-2008, 9:28 AM
Cool. I'm looking forward to it. ^_^
 Thesimsdude
03-06-2008, 5:17 PM
I can't enable the Cheat Console!!!!! :'(

I entered the EnableCheats=1 under [GameOptions] like you said, but it won't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!
 Totenkopf
03-06-2008, 6:17 PM
Well, go back in to that file and make sure you saved it properly (or that the machine did anyway) and start a new game. Unless there's something wrong with your machine or your game itself, you should be able to activate the cheat console by hitting the tilde key on your board. Can't think of anything else.
 Thesimsdude
03-06-2008, 6:52 PM
It still doesn't work!

My game is normal and my computer is normal!!!

I have never been able to do that!!! Is there a certain place you have to be at in the game? Or is there a certain option configuration I need?

This is what my file says:

[Sound Options]
Sound Init=0
Music Volume=85
Voiceover Volume=85
Sound Effects Volume=85
Movie Volume=100
Force Software=0
EAX=0
Disable Sound=0
Number 3D Voices=16
Number 2D Voices=24
Environment Effects Level=0.60
2D3D Bias=1.50
Environment Effects=1
Environment Effects Nonstreaming=1
Environment Effects Streaming=1

[Game Options]
EnableCheats=1
GUIsInScreenShot=1
EnableScreenShot=0
Reverse Mouse Buttons=0
Hide InGame GUI=0
Use Small Fonts=0
Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000
Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000
Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000
Hide Unequippable=0
Tutorial Popups=1
Subtitles=1
Mini Map=1
Floating Numbers=1
Status Summary=1
Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1
Mouse Sensitivity=33
Auto Level Up NPCs=0
Mouse Look=0
AutoSave=1
Reverse Minigame YAxis=0
Combat Movement=1
Enable Tooltips=1
Difficulty Level=1
TooltipDelay Sec=1.000000
Memory Access=1
Memory Level=1
Disable Movies=0

[Movies Shown]
Movie 0=16
Movie 1=0
Movie 2=0
Movie 3=0
Movie 4=0
Movie 5=0
Movie 6=0
Movie 7=0
Movie 8=0
Movie 9=0
Movie10=0

[Alias]
HD0=.\
OVERRIDE=.\Override
TEMP=.\Temp
MODULES=.\Modules
LOGS=.\Logs
LOCALVAULT=.\LocalVault
DMVAULT=.\DMVault
SERVERVAULT=.\ServerVault
STREAMMUSIC=.\StreamMusic
TEMPCLIENT=.\Tempclient
SAVES=.\saves
CURRENTGAME=.\currentgame
TEXTUREPACKS=.\texturepacks
STREAMWAVES=.\StreamWaves

[Graphics Options]
V-Sync=1
Anisotropy=16
Frame Buffer=1
Anti Aliasing=8
Texture Quality=2
Emitters=1
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=1
Shadows=1
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=1
RefreshRate=75
Width=1024
Height=768

[Autopause Options]
Mine Sighted=1
End Of Combat Round=0
Enemy Sighted=1
Party Killed=1
Action Menu=0
New Target Selected=1
[config]
firstrun=0

[Keymapping]
Action286B=8
Action286A=7
Action285B=10
Action285A=9
Action284B=54
Action284A=51
Action283B=54
Action283A=51
Action282B=69
Action282A=73
Action281B=53
Action281A=76
Action280B=69
Action280A=73
Action265=52
Action264=57
Action263=43
Action262=85
Action261=84
Action260=83
Action259=82
Action258=81
Action257=80
Action256=79
Action255=78
Action254=77
Action253=31
Action245=75
Action244=55
Action243=67
Action242=74
Action241=87
Action240=56
Action239=68
Action238=82
Action236=83
Action234=81
Action232=80
Action230=79
Action228=78
Action226=77
Action225=70
Action224=90
Action223=31
Action222=25
Action221=24
Action220=29
Action219=28
Action218=42
Action217=87
Action216=65
Action215=63
Action214=62
Action213=60
Action212=61
Action211=66
Action210=59
Action209=71
Action208=89
Action207=72
Action206=30
Action205=55
Action204=67

Help please!!!
 minx.eh
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I think you need to put the enablecheats=1 at the BOTTOM of the Game Options list. I always have put it in the bottom of the file and it always works.

Try that.
 Thesimsdude
03-22-2008, 4:01 PM
I think you need to put the enablecheats=1 at the BOTTOM of the Game Options list. I always have put it in the bottom of the file and it always works.

Try that.

It finally works!!!

I can't wait to try the mod!!!

YAY!! ^_^ Thanks, man!
 Darth Xander
03-22-2008, 8:14 PM
I supposed the easy part of this mod was that no area reskins were needed as it is the same planet.
 The Padawannabe
03-25-2008, 7:04 PM
does not mean that some buildings are not relatively intact.

Now that's a double-negative
 e-varmint
03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
I supposed the easy part of this mod was that no area reskins were needed as it is the same planet.

Sadly, major reskinning will be required to complete the mod. By the time I get it finished, the "new area" mods will be coming out, and I'll have to come up with something extremely unique (plotwise) to compete for attention. So, the plot-consistency gloves are coming off! Time for some good old-fashioned, blatantly tasteless, unrepentant, politically incorrect revisionist shock value.

In other words, Janice is just the beginning of the heresy.
 Totenkopf
03-26-2008, 1:48 AM

Try that.

Interesting. Always put it at the top of the list and it always worked. Well, whatever works, I s'ppose.
 Paddythegreat
03-26-2008, 9:54 AM
I could never get enablecheats=1 to work so i just got the tsl save game editor, it wins.
 Tooplex
06-01-2008, 2:35 PM
Please tell me this most awesome modder is still doing this mod. The beta is still awesome! But i would love to see this finished. Im currently in the stage of creating a KOTOR Mod Manager version for people who use that. Could i have the modders permission to upload that and post it up here?
 e-varmint
06-02-2008, 3:21 PM
...........Could i have the modders permission to upload that and post it up here?

You have my permission, but you may want to wait. The "warp droid" has been nixed, and I am changing a few things that cause the mod to misbehave on my newest computer.

Since you have paid me a most excellent compliment, I will get off my a$$ and try to get it finished.
 Tooplex
06-02-2008, 4:53 PM
You have my permission, but you may want to wait. The "warp droid" has been nixed, and I am changing a few things that cause the mod to misbehave on my newest computer.

Since you have paid me a most excellent compliment, I will get off my a$$ and try to get it finished.

Thank you very much. Im having trouble getting the KOTOR Mod Manager to work with the ".wok files and the nwscript.nss" May i ask exactly what these files contain please?
 e-varmint
06-03-2008, 8:09 AM
Thank you very much. Im having trouble getting the KOTOR Mod Manager to work with the ".wok files and the nwscript.nss" May i ask exactly what these files contain please?

The .nss file is not essential, and can be ignored (a far as I know). It is a file that is used when compiling/uncompiling scripts.

The .wok files are the "wallkmaps" for the 3D area models. I don't think that these cause any compatibility issues unless two mods use the same module name.

Edit: There are also several retextured .tga files that are going to be included in the final version. These are not in the Beta version.
 Tooplex
06-03-2008, 12:53 PM
The .nss file is not essential, and can be ignored (a far as I know). It is a file that is used when compiling/uncompiling scripts.

The .wok files are the "wallkmaps" for the 3D area models. I don't think that these cause any compatibility issues unless two mods use the same module name.

Edit: There are also several retextured .tga files that are going to be included in the final version. These are not in the Beta version.

Hmmmm Ok A Few Things:

1: In your next release it would be a good idea to put all the files that are not needed like the "nwscript.nss" in another folder called "Source"

2: Whats the estimated time of release?

3:Ill Sort out the .Wok files dont worry.
 e-varmint
06-04-2008, 3:18 PM
It will be at least a month before it is released.
 Tooplex
06-04-2008, 7:23 PM
It will be at least a month before it is released.

Ah ok good luck with it. (My 17th birthday is on the 30th of june Be awesome if it was released sometime then :P) But yeh as soon as you release it ill get working on making a KOTOR Mod manager file. Not much point right now.
Page: 2 of 3