Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

final fantasy, where to start

Page: 1 of 1
 mur'phon
12-15-2007, 3:39 PM
I have never played any final fantasy game, and wonder which number I should start on.
 Corinthian
12-15-2007, 3:53 PM
It really doesn't matter. If I were you, I'd start with Final Fantasy 6. However, I'm an old fogey. Seven is considered the best by just about everyone except me. Four is pretty good. Eight and ten are decent. Nine I never actually played, but I've heard it was pretty good. I advise you to stay away from 1, 2, 3, 11, or X-2. The first four because the plots are so pathetic they make my teeth hurt, and the last because it was spawned from hell. Never played XII.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-15-2007, 7:42 PM
It does depends on which system you have to get them on. The stories aren't linear, and have almost no relations to each other (actually, only the name of monsters, spells, summons, weapons, etc. are the same).

However, to keep you graphically interested and still keep largely the FF roots gaming system, I tell you: Get FF X.
 Inyri
12-15-2007, 7:55 PM
10's a great one to start with, I agree. It's got a great plot and it was funny. And c'mon, X-2 wasn't that bad, unless you were expecting something particular. Maybe y'all were just scared away by all the pink and the sleepovers. :p
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-15-2007, 8:02 PM
Nah, I didn't like X-2 battle system either. And I was efortlessy trying to avoid my expectations of a serious plot, but I can't get this when it's about Final Fantasy.

Best thing on that game was Yuna, Paine and... Ah, Riku (godess).
 Inyri
12-15-2007, 8:03 PM
I loved the X-2 battle system. The dress sphere system was an amazing nod to the old job system in the original games. The plot also was serious when you got past the pink and the slumber parties.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-15-2007, 8:12 PM
EDIT: Yeah, it may kinda re-invent the job system, but it still looks the same. A dated system with tons of makeup. Also, the mix of real-time and turn-based didn't got me.

Each one is entitled to their own opinions. I've given mine on the battle system and so did you.;)

There was another crappy thing on X-2: Exploration. Why? Why did it looked with a Tomb Raider game? With those dungeons looking like any place Ms. Croft would be visiting. And all that jumping, argh!

However, the game is still Final Fantasy, so the CG scenes are still sweet to the eyes and so are the graphics, even if they're the same from the original 10.
 Sabretooth
12-15-2007, 9:00 PM
A friend of mine had the "Dawn of Souls" compilation for the GBA - that's a combo of FF I and II. I liked both those games, they're both classics and if you won't mind those beautiful, pixellated graphics of old, I is just as good a place to start off. :)
 Corinthian
12-15-2007, 9:00 PM
Final Fantasy VI is the best one out there, hands down, though. But you need either the remake, a Super Nintendo or not here :tsk: - d3
 Aeroldoth
12-15-2007, 9:23 PM
How old is it?
 Inyri
12-15-2007, 9:59 PM
Circa 1994.
 Aeroldoth
12-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Not too bad for me, considering I'm an old fogey like C. C, why do you suggest starting with #6?
 Corinthian
12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
It's the best one, and it doesn't matter which one you start with, the interconnected plots are so minimal, I could spit and disrupt all the connections. The connections are thus -

There is a character named Cid.

There is probably an Airship.

Something bad will happen.

That's pretty much the size of it.
 SilentScope001
12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Think I played some sort of RPG in the "Final Fanasty" series about you collecting Crystals. And I did play a Final Fanasty game about "slave crowns". I think I got bored of the endless grinding.

Um. That's about all I could know at the present
 Serpentine Cougar
12-16-2007, 1:17 AM
Of the pixel-RPG Final Fantasies (i.e. 1-6), Final Fantasy VI was the best, imo (though I'm still playing it). FFX is awesome, FFX-2 is stupid. After you finish FFX, read this fan-written epilogue (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2216497/31/Someday_the_Dream_Will_End) that basically tells the good parts from FFX-2 without all the fluff.

I haven't played 7-9, or any after 10.
 Corinthian
12-16-2007, 1:39 AM
Well, Terra has a Slave Crown at the beginning of Final Fantasy VI. I don't recall any endless grinding, though, and the Slave Crown is not touched upon all that much.

As for getting Crystals, I have no idea. Maybe you're thinking of Seiken Densetsu III, or maybe Mystic Quest. I really don't know.
 Meowster
12-16-2007, 2:27 AM
I myself am a favorite of VIII...even though it was the one I started out with (and is my favorite) it can get really complicated at times. (I've learned recently the junction system was hard for some..).

Personally, I would choose X or VI. Both are great games, although I found VI to be more challenging than X. X-2 is just...its fun, but...meh. I don't like it, seeing as I can never get the 100%...

The first one has to do with crystals, and XII kinda had too (if you count magicite as crystals.)
 Bee Hoon
12-16-2007, 8:22 AM
@Corinthian, you forgot chocobos:p

I've played FFVII, FFVIII and FFX, all of which were great, both story-wise and in gameplay. I'd say FFX was the easiest of the lots (Yuna really owns at high levels), while FFVIII has the most unique battle system, but with some patience, you can get ridiculously overpowered characters.

Regretfully, I always played FFX-2 which made me want to commit harakiri. They *mangled* Yuna!>.<
 mur'phon
12-16-2007, 8:28 AM
depends on which system you have to get them on

PC
 Meowster
12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Actually...I remember that VIII could be really easy...

Just as long as you junction good, and don't level up. (The Monsters level with you...)
 spinkle
12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
If you have a Nintendo DS, start with Final Fantasy III and/or the Dawn Of Souls GBA cart that has both FFI and FFII. FFI is straightforward and irrelevant but entertaining, and the specific-experience-for-specific-tasks level-up system for [the original] FFII is amazingly fun although the lack of job titles and restrictions may seem a little too open-ended at first.

You'll hear a lot of praise for FFVII, but it's graphically headache-inducing and demonstrates the limits of the original Playstation all too clearly. FFV and FFVI are a lot more fun; FFV's job system is fantastic and mastering most of the jobs doesn't take an incredibly long grind, so it's pretty easy to max out all of the jobs.

I'm playing FFXII: Revenant Wings (DS) now, which is great if you like RTS games (I don't even like the genre, really, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this one)
 mur'phon
12-16-2007, 1:20 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is to junction? My dictonary didn't contain this nerdy word.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-16-2007, 2:10 PM
And yeah, FF VI is one of the best. Really is. And since you plan on playing it on pc, download a random GBA emulator and the ROM for the GBA remake of it.

Think I played some sort of RPG in the "Final
Fanasty" series about you collecting Crystals. And I did play a Final Fanasty game about "slave crowns". I think I got bored of the endless grinding.

You probably played the Final Fantasy for Gamecube. A children-oriented game, which doesn't look a bit like traditional FF games;

Pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is to junction? My dictonary didn't contain this nerdy word.
That's the name of the gameplay system. Each FF game got it's own. RTB, ATB, Junctions, etc...
 Meowster
12-16-2007, 2:29 PM
Well, in Final Fantasy VIII (and only VIII I believe) you 'junction' magic to yourself, and it boosts your stats, and lets you be immune to differant damage and stuff.

I've learned most people have found this concept annoying, but it can lead to some power-levelling. You 'draw' magic from enemies, and thus, in turn able to use it. But, it is stocked, like items, and you have a limit to how much you can use.

And, I think every FF uses ATB, except for like...three differant ones, right?

You probably played the Final Fantasy for Gamecube. A children-oriented game, which doesn't look a bit like traditional FF games;

Final Fantasy Chronicles? Aw, but that is such a fun game with differant people...speaking of which, the remakes of the games for Playstation generally have two-player co-op during battles
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-16-2007, 6:31 PM
And, I think every FF uses ATB, except for like...three differant ones, right?

It's already a bunch of games. And ATB is quite difficulty to have a definition of. For, FF VII and FF X had the ATB system. But one is sooooo very different from the other.

Final Fantasy Chronicles? Aw, but that is such a fun game with differant people...

I haven't played it. All I know it's got a repetitive system. And the most omnious presence of crystals than on any other FF.
 Mr Roboto
12-16-2007, 7:09 PM
FFX is just a regular turned based battle system. VII, X-2, XII, etc... have ATB systems.

I've played VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII. If graphics aren't a problem for you, I'd say start at the low end and work up, otherwise, start with 9 or 10.

Order in which I played them:
X
VII
IX
X-2
XII

Order by favorite:
X
VII
IX
XII
X-2

I really enjoyed X-2's battle system but the "teehee" kind of theme turned me off. I still like the game, but it's the only one I haven't played through more than once.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-16-2007, 7:53 PM
FFX is just a regular turned based battle system. VII, X-2, XII, etc... have ATB systems.

Uh... X-2 and XII don't use the ATB system. XII is RTB and X-2 is the VI old system with minor changes.
 Mr Roboto
12-16-2007, 11:09 PM
An ATB system is basically a battle system where each character has a timer. Once the timer fills, they can choose to do something. Just because one is real time and one is based on random encounters doesn't change that. X-2 and XII are just fancier versions of the basic ATB system.
 Ghost Down
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Are there any FF games made for the PC?
 PoiuyWired
12-17-2007, 10:49 AM
6, 4, 10.

Just don't expact any surprises for the story... I mean by now unless you live in a cave for the last 20 years you should know all the spoilers you need, aeris dies and what not.

And yes it newer the FF, the more movie it contains, and less gameplay stuff. So consider them a wonderful interactive movie with some rp element.
 Serpentine Cougar
12-17-2007, 4:14 PM
Are there any FF games made for the PC?
FFVIII and FFXI were. You could also use emulators. (Is that a forbidden topic around here?)
 Mr Roboto
12-17-2007, 4:26 PM
I think VII was too. I'm pretty sure they're really hard to find though. I'm not sure about 8 and 9, but I know 7 had a lot of compatibility issues with Windows XP and above. Like Serpentine said though, you could use a PS emulator. It'll be tough to find the games at local stores, but a lot of online stores have them.
 Inyri
12-17-2007, 5:10 PM
7 and 8 were definitely for PC in addition to PSX. I never saw 9 for PC, so if it was released I'm not aware of it. I'm currently (at this very moment, basically) playing FF9 on ePSXe (with the original game discs, no worries -- it's really cold in the basement where the PS2 is :p) and it runs reasonably well. Slows down in a couple of places, but very very playable, and looks much nicer than on the console to boot. :p
 mur'phon
12-17-2007, 5:32 PM
Just don't expact any surprises for the story... I mean by now unless you live in a cave for the last 20 years you should know all the spoilers you need,

I may be a cave man, but even cave men have the right not to be spoiled :smash:
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-17-2007, 7:13 PM
X-2 and XII are just fancier versions of the basic ATB system.
Call it a fancy name. Still, the name of the system used on XII is RTB.
 SilentScope001
12-17-2007, 8:14 PM
Well, Terra has a Slave Crown at the beginning of Final Fantasy VI. I don't recall any endless grinding, though, and the Slave Crown is not touched upon all that much.

The Slave Crown was about the only interesting thing that I liked about FFVI, so the fact that they didn't talk about it that much was...er...It didn't really make me like the game that much.

I think it was not really that the grinding was long, but the grinding had no point. I wasn't really inspired to play the game, to actually do anything to save Terra and the world.

Clarification: I played both games using a Snes emulator. So it was on the Super Nintendo, meaning it really really was serious and very traditional.
 Corinthian
12-17-2007, 8:51 PM
Your loss. How far did you get before you stopped playing?
 SilentScope001
12-17-2007, 9:26 PM
Your loss. How far did you get before you stopped playing?

Some mountain where I was chasing a shady man...I think that guy, Shadow, was rumored to sold his mother for a penny.
 PoiuyWired
12-18-2007, 2:54 AM
Hmmm, now this is a FF FAQ thread... its time to tell people to put all your levels on Aeris, or that you should level up your Summons as powerful as possable on X. :)
 Mr Roboto
12-18-2007, 3:50 AM
Haha, that would turn it from a FAQ thread to an angry mob thread.
 Corinthian
12-18-2007, 4:49 AM
...Small wonder. You barely played the game at all. You had, what, Locke, Terra, and Edgar? Didn't even have Sabin yet? Sweet lord. I'd feel sorry for you if you didn't have such a terrible attention span.
 Rogue Nine
12-18-2007, 9:17 AM
Don't start with any of the FFs. Start with Chrono Trigger! :3
 mur'phon
12-18-2007, 1:02 PM
Don't start with any of the FFs. Start with Chrono Trigger! :3

While chrono tiger might be a good game, thats not enough as the reason I'm getting into FF is because a good looking girl told me to :smash:
 SilentScope001
12-18-2007, 2:16 PM
...Small wonder. You barely played the game at all. You had, what, Locke, Terra, and Edgar? Didn't even have Sabin yet? Sweet lord. I'd feel sorry for you if you didn't have such a terrible attention span.

Hey, I figured out the story by reading the walkthroughs as soon as I gave up. And I have to say, I haven't missed much.

But there has to be a reason to play a game. Either it's the story or the gameplay. Neither appealed, so why bother going through the slog?
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-18-2007, 6:37 PM
Hmmm, now this is a FF FAQ thread... its time to tell people to put all your levels on Aeris, or that you should level up your Summons as powerful as possable on X. :)

:D
Correction: It's Aerith. Gosh, dammed english translation!

But there has to be a reason to play a game. Either it's the story or the gameplay. Neither appealed, so why bother going through the slog?
Perhaps the combat system is too old school nowadays, but the story was good, not as good as on FFT, but still very nice. It also had a beautiful and inspired soundtrack and the worst villain ever seen, IMO.

Clarification: I played both games using a Snes emulator. So it was on the Super Nintendo, meaning it really really was serious and very traditional.
But was it on the actual numbers? Not a Chocobo Dungeon or the like?
 SilentScope001
12-19-2007, 1:25 AM
Perhaps the combat system is too old school nowadays, but the story was good, not as good as on FFT, but still very nice. It also had a beautiful and inspired soundtrack and the worst villain ever seen, IMO.

I would agree that the storyline might have been good (the walkthroughs certainly gave that impression), but if it really didn't draw my attention in when I first start playing, I guess I really didn't care enough to continue playing to get to the good stuff later on. Personal taste, to be honest.

That being said, I have seen demos of FFT and might be interested in getting it. That gameplay might be fun enough to let me see what the storyline is.

But was it on the actual numbers? Not a Chocobo Dungeon or the like?

...Actual numbers? You mean the FF series has a template? I thought they all have different, original storylines and the only thing similar is the gameplay.

I know nothing about Chocobo, so there can't be any dungeons about Chocobo in that final fanasty game about crystals. And there were numbers, HP, EXP, the ilk.

EDIT: Found it! I found the game I was searching for, Final Fanasty: Mythic Quest. It looks to be a spin-off though and very, very easy, so no wonder you guys couldn't idenify it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest)
 PoiuyWired
12-19-2007, 4:38 AM
Mystic Quest is kinda crappy.

Also FF Tactics, or NDS FF Crystal cronicle.

While chrono tiger might be a good game, thats not enough as the reason I'm getting into FF is because a good looking girl told me to :smash:

Well, "Chrono Tiger" is what you get if you crossbreed a charzard with a gundam... or something like that.

Chrono Trigger on the other hand is quite a nice series.

Also, Xeno Gear... far better than the later Prequel Xeno Saga, though Kos-Mos is just darn hot, and quite powerful when used in Soul Calibur.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-19-2007, 7:16 PM
That being said, I have seen demos of FFT and might be interested in getting it. That gameplay might be fun enough to let me see what the storyline is.

Lots of people dislike FFT. Don't listen, it was revolutionary on the gameplay (strategic RPG) and got the best damn plot on FFs, IMO. What could you expect of Yasumi Matsuno? (That was also the director of Vagrant Story and FF XII)
...Actual numbers? You mean the FF series has a template? I thought they all have different, original storylines and the only thing similar is the gameplay.
I meant as an spin-off. Don't worry, all the torylines on FFs are independent from each other. How else could it had persevered this far?

Chrono Trigger on the other hand is quite a nice series.
QFT.

And I demand a sequel that isn't for the cell phone, Square. (e.g. Parasite Eve, Kingdom Herats:Coded).
Page: 1 of 1