Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which is the best choice?

Page: 1 of 1
 Thrik
11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Which is the best choice?
 Sabretooth
11-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I'd say clean your dirty keyboard, unless it's an antique from the early-1990s. Wait a sec, in that case you'll want to keep it - you'll never find another like that again. :D
 i_shot_the_jedi
11-13-2007, 1:53 PM
Buy a new one? You shouldn't get it dirty in the first place... and godsakes don't eat anything sloppy over it.

Then again, you're not exactly saying to what extent "dirty" is. If you're having to take it apart to clean it, then get a new one.
 Jeff
11-13-2007, 2:24 PM
Hmm good question. My keyboard is pretty dirty, I turn it upside down from time to time and shake it out and tons of crumbs and stuff fall out... Pretty soon I'd be interested in a new one, this one is pretty old and might be beyond cleaning... So I'll say buy a new one. They're not that expensive these days anyway.
 Thrik
11-13-2007, 2:40 PM
Yes, this is definitely a 'taking all the keys out is the only way to get all the bits out' type of question. :D :D

With them being so affordable (a great Logitech Media Elite is only about Ј15), I'd rather just have a shiny new keyboard once it gets so filthy that I'd consider it unpleasant to clean/open. But then, I know people who vehemently believe that if it can be cleaned, it should be cleaned.

These people have keyboards that're over five years old.
 Darth333
11-13-2007, 3:05 PM
It all depends on how dirty it is and what kind of keyboard it is...if it's one of these (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/), I'd say clean it! :p
 Jasper_Kazai
11-13-2007, 3:09 PM
It depends on the keyboard. If it's the default keyboard that came with your PC, I'd say it depends on how dirty it is. If it's so dirty it doesn't work, then don't bother and buy a new one.
But since I have a Logitech G15 keyboard, I'd definitely just clean it.
 El Sitherino
11-13-2007, 4:01 PM
Depends on what kind of dirty...

Some these people here, I know, I'd burn it and buy them a new one.
 Negative Sun
11-13-2007, 5:01 PM
Buy a shiny new one of course, cause it shines :)
 Ray Jones
11-13-2007, 5:38 PM
Thrik-y-puh, not cleaning that darn keyboard, and buying a new one is wasting resources and our descendants will have to pay the bill for that then. Besides that, I own a notebook. What now?
 Du Man
11-13-2007, 6:55 PM
I usually fantasize getting one of these keyboards, especially the bluetooth one and hooking it up so it's compatible with my computer.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/)

However, yeah it is a waste of resources to get a new one, but I'm starting to notice my keys getting a little stiffer and worn down. Instead, though, I'm thinking about digging around my parents house for an older model. I like the retro look, even if it is a behemoth on my desk.

And who cleans? It's fun to swipe a card between the cracks and see the amount of hair and dandruff that I pull up.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-13-2007, 7:29 PM
I voted to buy a new one.

But if by "cleaning" you mean something you can solve on five minutes, I'm all in. If not, just a little dirty won't get on me.
 Dark_Jedi
11-13-2007, 11:08 PM
ALL of my keyboards are over five years old I use and reuse. So definetly get a new one. Shiny is fun.
 SeaTurtle
11-14-2007, 8:34 AM
If you cleaned it regularly it wouldn't get dirty in the first place. :rolleyes:
 RoxStar
11-14-2007, 2:09 PM
I love my keyboard. It has a lifetime warranty :O

So if it breaks, I'll get it replaced for free!
 Jeff
11-14-2007, 3:23 PM
Depends on what kind of dirty...

Some these people here, I know, I'd burn it and buy them a new one.Not me right :o
 swphreak
11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I think this keyboard was 10 bucks. Nothing fancy, just a keyboard. If this keyboard ever gets too dirty, it's going in the trash.
 Rev7
11-17-2007, 2:45 AM
The Keyboard that I am using only has a little bit of dust on it, so it is good for about another 5-10 years! :)

I voted for buy a new one though. I said that because I would much rather have a really really nice one and then I would clean it everyday, so that it would last me a long time. :)
 Huz
11-17-2007, 7:23 PM
My keyboard recently celebrated its 10th birthday. So far I've gone for the third option of not cleaning it at all. I am generally a disgusting slob.
 JediMaster12
11-19-2007, 9:13 PM
If it's not broke don't fix it but clean it. I always clean my keyboard especially after I discovered the kind of stuff that accumulates in it. I also found that performance improves when you maintain cleanliness.
 Serpentine Cougar
11-20-2007, 1:38 AM
Clean it and save!
 Crow_Nest
11-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Define "dirty". If you're talking about bits of dirt and dust inside the keyboard then its best to just clean it.
 Ray Jones
11-29-2007, 8:48 AM
My keyboard recently celebrated its 10th birthday. So far I've gone for the third option of not cleaning it at all. I am generally a disgusting slob.Also the dirt from the first year had a massive impact on the adhesion forces of the dirt from the following nine years. All you have to do is to clean the desk from time to time so the keyboard itself won't get lost. Very clever.
 littleman794
05-07-2008, 7:09 PM
Buy a new keboard....too much effort to wash a sticky, yucky, old one...:D
Page: 1 of 1